“Good hotel and friendly staff”

APA Hotel Higashi Shinjuku Ekimae
Ranked #51 of 84 Hotels / Ryokan in Shinjuku
Reviewed October 30, 2013

I stayed in this hotel on June 2013 with my family. It seemed the hotel was new or it looked like new if we saw it from the amenities inside the room.

This hotel actually was not in my list. I booked in the last minutes when I had to amend my itinerary and I wanted to stay in Shinjuku area.

The room was small but clean. Bathroom was clean. The double bed actually occupied most of the space in the room and left small space for us to move. There was big flat screen tv hanged on the wall. WiFi was good. Bed was good but there was no view from the room.

I needed to use room card key to operate the lift and opened the passage door to the room. It was good for security.

There was restaurant on the ground floor and Chinese restaurant across the street was also good. There was local Japanese restaurant next door that was just ok. Couple of convenience stores were in neighborhood.

Higashi station entrance was 5 minutes walk on the right of the exit door of the hotel. It was in the corner of intersection across the street. Going from Higashi station to explore Tokyo was not as easy as using Shinjuku station but it was not too complicated either.

It was near to Kabuchiko area. I can say it was at the back of Kabuchiko area, the famous night life area in Shinjuku. So it is a good choice for one who like to enjoy night life.

Overall I can say this hotel can be considered as a good second option if we can't get the one that really close to the heart of Shinjuku.

Will I stay here again? Why not!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank L13m

Reviewed October 15, 2013

We wanted hotel accommodation in Shinjuku for 8 days at short notice - a double room, Western bed, near train stations. APA hotel filled the bill. The room is small but adequate by Western standards with a double bed pushed up against the wall, and a twin might be better for space. We were one room back from Meiji Dori, 9th floor, and very quiet. No view of course. Comfy bed, shower and bath. Japanese style breakfast was in the deal, which my husband liked, but for me there was a bread roll, and butter and jam, with coffee. We're able to leave bags before and after checkout at our convenience.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Pstrauss
Reviewed August 13, 2013

The room is small, no question. But very clean, good bathroom with everything you need. You can go there without anything but clothes :-)

I really liked that you have shower gel, shampoo and conditioner in big bottles, not the small ones they throw away or refill (uargh) again. Also the quality was right.

+ very friendly staff
+ i liked the location, not that central to Shinjuku but everything you need around you (7-11, restaurants, Train station, easy to get a Taxi)
+ very clean
+ washing machine and dryer in the building
+ access to the floor only possible by keycard (not only for the lift, there was another door)
+ vending machines (of course, it's Japan! :-) )
+ fast internet (only tried LAN)
+ Restaurant in the lower floor (had no time to try it, but looks nice)
+ smoking rooms
+ huge TV, perfectly placed for watching in bed

+- the bed was quite soft ... first i thought to soft, but still ok. Yes, i like hard ones.
+- it's at a crossing, you will hear police and ambulance cars. But i never woke up because of it, so not to loud. The traffic noises are also not that loud.

- only one elevator, slow
- huge aircon, way to big for the room, not very good placed. Impossible to use the table with aircon on, direct airflow from behind.
- aircon, TV: no english guides. Yes, this is Japan, but please ...

Overall: i really liked it. I had to go there because my other Hotel was way to expensive over the weekend. I even extended the stay one day before i went to another one a little bit closer to where i had to be.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Martin L
Reviewed July 20, 2013

It's a little far from central Shinjuku, but you can't compare this to Keio or Hilton. If you wanna live close to the center you gotta pay. Asides from the location, this hotel is awesome! Clean and I found the size acceptable(maybe that's because I am traveling alone). I stayed at another hotel right nearby for the first half of my trip, and I have to say this one is much cleaner and "spacious"(in Japanese standard).

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Taaiee
Reviewed June 8, 2013

We didn't book before all the central Shinjuku hotels had filled up and chose this as walkable into the central area. They wouldn't release our room until 4:00p pm when we arrived 2 hrs early, which given a delayed flight from UK and a further long wait at Narita airport for our JR passes was a bit galling, espcially as they'd have checked us in early with a supplement payable. I asked if we'd been given a large room and they said we has one of the only 4 large rooms as we were there for a whole week. But it wasn't big, maybe the other rooms were even smaller; one of us couldn't get out of bed without walking across it and we had to dodge our two average size (for a 2 1/2 week overall journey) cases. The bed was comfortable enough and a reasonable size.As far as I could see, the hotel has no rooms with a view other than the nearby wall of the next building and the web-site photo has airbrushed out all the surrounding buildings which nestle up tight, so if you were after a view based on that it won't happen.

The staff were always helpful and usually friendly but their English was poor and their card machine which strangely sits in the middle of a very small foyer like an airline check in machine refused 2 of our cards so they had to use their traditional card reader at the desk.

Breakfast was failrly poor value and there was a limited choice of unspectacular food, with no intention of adding to it - my request for butter squares to put on bread was not considered.

In Japan APA hotels are regarded as being good business hotels but I can't compare this one with any others. The room price, booked about 4 weeks ahead was moderate but not cheap. Our room was at the far end of the corridor and the free Wi-Fi was occasionally receivable for periods but often not seen. Wi-Fi also did not reach to the basement breakfast room but a separate foyer Wi-Fi was ok although not really convenient. There were only about 4 seats for the foyer, inc for people waiting to be checked in.

We soon learnt the main way on foot (and also using free open mapping on the smart phone the back route way through little passages) to the local JR station (which can take you straight to Shinjuku or to the further stations for Shinkansen) and the way on foot to JR city centre (which can be through the very safe red light district) or you can go by subway on the Oedo line.

In a word I'd say this was an "average" hotel of no particularly good features, except it was very clean everywhere, but probably nothing terribly bad either.

Room Tip: Ask for a bigger room but if it's at the end of the corridor you may not get any or much Wi-Fi.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rickbon
Reviewed June 4, 2013

My wife and I stayed here recently for 3 nights. It's located very close to the train station which is great. We were a little apprehensive as we arrived as they requested payment up front. But one look in the (admittedly tiny) room and we were very happy. The rooms are typically small as is the case in Japan, but the room is very well appointed with all the mod cons you normally require. Only complaint is the air con cannot be altered to direct the air away from over the bed, but this is minor. Overall, one of the better places we stayed at in Japan.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MarcusTravels11
Reviewed April 4, 2013

I was in Tokyo on business and could not find many affordable hotels in Shinjuku. Although this hotel is a subway stop away, you can walk to where all the shopping is - it is relatively new. The rooms are tiny - but that is the Japanese standard. Even though I was in a non-smoking room, my room did smell of cigarettes. I think that happens here in Japan though. There was no TV channels in English but the internet was good and free. The breakfast was Japanese styled and additional cost. The staff were helpful and spoke English - a good place to stay for a few days in Tokyo. If you can get a room away from the main road it will be quiet but Tokyo is a noisy city like New York so do not expect total silence.

Room Tip: Get one away from the main road on the top floors
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business