Stayed there Aug'05 with family in triple room for 7 days avg@ JPY 17,820 /night in main bldg.
Hotel Main Bldg: Appearance = average. Overall, it's a very clean and efficient hotel. Rooms are OK sized (I've seen much smaller in Japan). Bathrooms are small (like all of Japan). Windows are good-sized (1½m x 1m) and can open. Room carpet colour could have been more cheerful.
Facilities = good. Main Bldg: Lobby is roomy (for Japan) with double height ceiling and presentably business-like. Lounge is small and cute with 2 PCs giving free high-speed internet access (yes, I said free).
Annex Bldg: Lobby is similar if a little smaller with standard height ceiling. Restaurant Floret (breakfast is served here) is medium-sized and quite nice in appearance. I am told the rooms in Annex bldg are smaller than main bldg.
Staff = good+. Most speak good english, are very helpful and courteous.
Location = average+: Hotel is north-east of Shinjuku JR station appx 15 mins walk. Shinjuku is an excellent location but the walk to the hotel can be tiring in the August sun. If you took the Airport Limousine Bus (JPY 3,000 to Shinjuku BusStop23), I'd take a taxi (JPY 750) if you have big luggage. Normally, you'd take Shinjuku JR station east-exit, go straight onto pedestrian walkway; at road, turn left and you'll be on the main road with the main Isetan dept store on your right; walk to Isetan and follow it round to the left; the hotel is now straight in front of you appx 7 mins walk. When taking a taxi, it helps to mention "Hanazono Jinja", the shrine in front of SunLite.
Useful Tips :
- Pre-buy some breakfast vouchers for JPY 1,050 as it costs more on the day. Breakfast choices are American [fried egg, sausage, salad, carb, big toast & a hot beverage], Japanese 1 [grilled fish, soup, rice, pickle] or Japanese 2 [grilled fish, rice porridge, soup, pickle].
- If you get bored of this breakfast, Cafe Veloce is nearby (cross the road, turn left) with coffee and danish.
- Nearly all restaurants will offer a lunch promotion which is excellent value. Nearby restaurant MiSenSo (exit hotel, turn left appx 20 steps) has korean-style cook-it-yourself BBQ meats with lunch buffet at JPY 1,000 (yes, all you can eat).
- Want to try Unagi (eel)? Go to nearly and inexpensive Meshiya-Don (cross the road, turn right, walk appx 100m) where you use a vending-machine to buy a meal-voucher which you hand to the chef [the vend-machine is the cashier].
- SunLite hotel's restaurant Floret a'la carte menu is medium priced. But for dinners, you can buy a dinner-voucher from reception which gives much better value for money.
- Get to know the big department stores like Takashimaya and especially Isetan (good for short-cuts through the store). Most dept stores have very reasonably priced restaurants and/or food court. I recommend Takashimaya's 13th floor Studio Fresco restaurant (italian).
Other General Tips :
- Japan isn't as expensive as it was but you have to look a bit. Especially with restaurants, you sometimes just have to walk in and have a look. We ate in some great restaurants where no-one spoke much english, where there wasn't even a restaurant-name in english, and we did things by pointing at the plastic foods in the window or the photo-menus. You have to be brave, then the fun starts.
- Instead of a few luggage bags, consider just one large luggage bag for Japan as rooms can be small and the luggage takes up space.
- Wherever you go, pick up any free maps/ brochures as these are really useful. It's quite easy to get lost... especially in Shinjuku station.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Rakuten, JAPANiCAN, Priceline, Expedia, KNT-CT Holdings Co.,Ltd.(YOKOSO Japan), Agoda, Ctrip TA, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Hotwire, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Sunlite Shinjuku reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sunlite Hotel Shinjuku
- Hotel Sunlite Shinjuku Tokyo