“The Other Side of the Hotel is Quieter”

ibis Tokyo Shinjuku
Ranked #16 of 81 Hotels / Ryokan in Shinjuku
Saint Louis, Missouri, USA
“The Other Side of the Hotel is Quieter”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I checked-in this hotel again before I left Tokyo and this time, I was on the other side of the hotel. It is much quieter than the side with smaller numbers (01-08). I was at room 625 this time. Last time I was in 1008 and the maids started working and making all kind of loud noises from 6:30 in the morning.
The front desk staffs were really nice this time and I was glad to see smiling faces.
Great location and the rooms are clean but they are really small. I had 3 suitcases and for a while, I did not know where to put them. Be sure to bring your own hangers as the hotel only give you two. Also, face washing small towel as they give you none! I find better hotels but you just can't beat this one's with its great location.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

2 Thank cnvpl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Rotorua, New Zealand
Reviewed June 3, 2013

This is a great place to stay being so close to the Shinjuku station. The breakfasts at this hotel were great and much better than many we have had at more expensive and upmarket places. The staff were friendly and although the rooms are basic and small, they have everything that is needed and are clean. The staff were great at helping with directions and maps. Thank you for a great stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

ibis.Tokyo.Shinjuku, Manager at ibis Tokyo Shinjuku, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
Dear Mr/Ms. Birchwoodfarm

Thank you for sharing your lovely review of your most recent stay with us at ibis Tokyo Shinjuku.
We are very happy to hear your kind comments about the service and the location and that you enjoyed your time with us.

Also, we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the buffet breakfast that is a reasonable price and sufficient for you.

Thank you for choosing your stay with us, and I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you once again in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Kie Sekimoto
Sales Department
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Location is all that matters in Tokyo unless you are willing to spend USD$500 per night then you will be travelling by taxi anyway. If you can find a deal around USD$100 for this hotel then I think it is a bargain. This is what you call a "business" hotel in Japan where you only go back to sleep and spend more of your day outside. However, I do find the double room a bit bigger than some other "business" hotels I have stayed in Japan. A FULL double bed in a double room can place a full size luggage which a workable working desk and still some room to maneuver. The bathroom is large by business hotel standards.

I understand the previous hotel has been sold or re-branded to ibis accor hotel group. The standard is there. The room is very clean, bed on the soft side but the bathroom is showing some age. I heard some of the rooms in the hotel has been renovated but not so sure if ours were.

Quick 5 minutes walk to JR Shinjuku Station which takes you everywhere in Tokyo. 5 minutes walk to other subway stations. Note that there are a number of Private subway lines and train lines in Tokyo which can get complicated.

Quick 5 minutes walk to the center of action in Shinjuku, 24 hours drug stores, 24 hours super market that sells everything from cosmetic to electronics to sex toys.

Quick 5 minutes walk to the famous red light district in Shinjuku.

When you are in Tokyo, you shouldn't be spending too much time in your room anyway.. we just go back to sleep!

It might get a bit noisy as the hotel is in the middle of subway stations exits and depending on where your room is it will get noisy in the afternoon and late evenings and midnight during weekends when everyone is catching the last train home or out late into the night. Tip: Ask for a higher floor and quiet room.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor and quiet room.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
ibis.Tokyo.Shinjuku, General Manager at ibis Tokyo Shinjuku, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Dear Valuable Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write on Trip Advisor about your experience at Ibis Tokyo Shinjuku. Yes… You are right, the hotel used to be named “Star Hotel Tokyo” in the past. Accor took over in November 2011.
You are right when saying that it is close to many places of interest (Metro, JR Train, Shops, and Family Marts etc.). Most of our guests chose us for our location and our standards as you already highlighted. Our rates show flexibility and change according to the season, however, we remain among the most accessible in the market.
Thank you, once again for your feedback wishing to welcome you again at Ibis Tokyo Sinjuku.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Stayed here in 2006 when it was under a different name. I was so happy when I realised it was the same hotel. It is right across from my favourite Kaiten Sushi in Shinjuku. Great area, great location. The rooms are small, but very well layed out for the size. I highly recommend this hotel. You won't find better value in this price range.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Dear Valuable Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write on Trip Advisor about your experience at Ibis Tokyo Shinjuku. It is always nice to have repeater guests and see that changes make them feel much more comfortable.
The hotel used to be named “Star Hotel Tokyo” in the past. Accor took over in November 2011.
Thank you for your recommendations wishing to welcome you again… before 2020 (as you came to this place in 2006 and revisited the property in 2013).

Bangkok, Krung Thep, Thailand
Reviewed May 31, 2013

ibis is always my 1st choice of city stay as I always has good service experience from the hotel and staffs. ibis shinjuku located at few steps from Shinjuku JR station is best for city visit. The hotel offers high standard of room and facilities. But what impressed me most is hospitality and extended service mindset of the staffs that matters most. Staffs were patient to listen to my question and enquiry, and they took action immediately. The hotel is a value of money with easy-access location, facilities, and superb service. In addition free, strong wi-fi connection is provided in guest room too. Ibis will be my only choice when I visit Tokyo again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Valuable Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write on Trip Advisor about your experience at Ibis Tokyo Shinjuku. I will share these comments with the teams who will appreciate your feedback.

Please let us know when you look like revisiting Tokyo again. We will be delighted to welcome you and make of your next stay the best ever.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

Very clean room though it is pretty small which is normal in Japan I guess. The service was good. There is a restaurant and macdonalds 24hours downstairs. Near the JR shinjuku station. Good value overall.

• Stayed May 2013
Taihape, New Zealand
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Great location....close to railway station, shops, restaurants in fact everything! The hotel was a great place to start our stay in Tokyo. The room altho small by our standards had everything we need and at the end of long days walking around it was a welcome place to go back to for a rest and sleeping.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

1 Thank harama5
ibis.Tokyo.Shinjuku, Manager at ibis Tokyo Shinjuku, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear Mr/Ms harama5

Thank you very much for taking your time to write a review on Tripadvisor. It is always a pleasure to receive a positive feedback of your recent stay with us. I am delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us, enjoyed the location and neighborhood. We hope that you had a comfortable sleep with our new bed - “Sweet Bed by ibis”.

We look forward to welcoming you back to ibis Tokyo Shinjuku for your future visit. Please do not hesitate to contact us at any time if we can be of assistance.

Kind Regards,

Kie Sekimoto
Sales Department
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shinjuku
Shinjuku Prince Hotel
Shinjuku Granbell Hotel
Shinjuku Granbell Hotel
#12 of 81 in Shinjuku
Citadines Central Shinjuku Tokyo

Been to ibis Tokyo Shinjuku? Share your experiences!