“The best way to experience Tokyo” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Park Hyatt Tokyo

Park Hyatt Tokyo
Ranked #1 of 81 Hotels / Ryokan in Shinjuku
Melbourne, Australia
“The best way to experience Tokyo”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2010

A fan of movie LOST IN TRANSLATION, I had high expectations of the Park Hyatt Tokyo - and I wasn't disappointed. Located in north/west Tokyo, its location is convenient to Shinjuku's Train Station (5min walk), making getting around the city both cheap and easy (avoid taxis, use the trains).
Arrival was warm and welcoming and check-in (despite a 8am arrival) was quick and professional. Service upon check-in was a delight after a long flight and shortly after we were in our luxurious Park Deluxe King Room on the 52nd floor, overlooking the city (and Mt Fuji on a clear day).
The room was generous in size with stylish furnishings inc. Desk & 2 chairs, 2 lounge chairs, CD/DVD player, large TV with mix of local & English channels, Coffee & Tea, good fridge with room for drinks brough in from outside (seriously, go to Family Mart and pick up some v.cheap beers & alcopops - partic. the large 8% vodka w/soda cans. Bliss!), large suitcase & dressing room and terrific bathroom (inc TV, multi-head shower, big bath and electro-toilet). In-room Wi-Fi also made the iPad a great way to stay in-touch. Only negative for me was that bed as a bit firm but my partner preferred this. In-room service was excellent with turn-down, discrete & quick make-up and, on an occasion that I couldn't turn on the TV once a technician was on-site and TV fixed in minutes. The huge pool is also worth a visit, with amazing views.
The NY Bar (famously in the aforementioned movie) is smaller than imagined (but still large) with amazing views of the city, with nighttime Shinjuku a highlight. The Girandole restaurant (Euro cuisine) was excellent, both food and service wise, but you're paying 5 star hotel prices. Food options are exhaustive in nearby Shinjuku (many less than 2 min walk) and this is recommended, as there was never a bad meal had in the area and prices are most affordable. Most restaurants have an English menu but those that don't usually have pictures and it's easy enough to get by with pointing and numbers, if you don't speak the language (we didn't).
Shopping is also good in the area and be sure to cross investigate the far side of Shinjuku Train Station (TopShop!) as well the western side of the main rd that the stations's South Exit is on for Takashimaya Dept Store and more. If you enjoy seeing a city on-foot, the Park Hyatt is also within (longer) walking distance of the Meiji shrine & gardens, Harajuku and Shibuya, but you'll want to take a train back to Shinjuku from the latter two places due to accumulated shopping.
Overall, a great hotel that I would quickly return to. As a side-note, we had LOST IN TRANSLATION on the iPad while staying and it was a delight to walk through rooms and halls that we'd only watched a short time earlier. All in all, a dream come true.

2 Thank KICon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (334)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2010

It's all been said before on here. I wanted to stay here for the "Lost in Translation" experience so we stretched the budget to stay one night. From the moment we arrived we were treated like royalty- check in was quick and efficient. We were shown to our room which was absolutely huge with a bathroom to die for. The room had a selection of CDs which were specially selected for this hotel.

The bar is expensive but it's fabulous and worth the splurge.

An amazing experience and if you go to Tokyo you really MUST spend a night here. Heaven on Earth!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
NYC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2010

The Park Hyatt is absolutely a great hotel as far as rooms and service. Everyone we interacted with spoke near-perfect English, we were treated like royalty and had absolutely no complaints. And the room was beautiful beyond my hopes. If I could have a master bedroom suite exactly like my room at the Park Hyatt, I would be in heaven.
The major, major downside of this hotel though is the location. It is a good 15 minute hike from the train/subway station, and there wasn't much in the way of tourist attractions right nearby. It's a great hotel if you are rich enough to be able to afford a lot of taxis in Tokyo (very, very expensive), but if you are planning on doing most of your exploring by foot or train, you might want to limit your stay here to only a night or two. Still, worth it for that one night. And be sure to visit the bar!

Metropolitan Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2010

Predictably my review for the Park Hyatt will be flawless. From the moment you arrive, you're treated like royalty at this famous hotel - the check in is smooth, the Deluxe King Room was sensational. The staff bend over backwards to make sure your stay is everything you could hope for.

We purchased a Park 360 package which included access to the pool and spa facilities, breakfast at Girandole, cocktails each night from 5-8 at the New York Bar and a one way pick up or drop off in a chauffeured limousine. But yes, we paid AU$1000 a night for the privilege, and you would certainly hope that for that, everything would be first class. It's certainly a nice place to spoil yourself and take refuge from the busy streets of Tokyo.

The deluxe room was superb - large, clean, comfortable and include internet access. The bathroom is luxurious, filled with great Aesop products and the heaviest bathrobes I've ever worn. Anything we needed from the staff was tended to promptly and efficiously.

The pool and spa facilities here are sensational. In fact, I showered here more than what I did in my own room, having used the pool & saunas each day. It contains everything you need to complete your beauty regime, including toothbrushes and cleanser, combs and hairdryers.

Breakfast each day was lovely with a choice of buffet or hot breakfast. My favourite time of day was cocktail hour(s) in the New York Bar. The first night I was presented with my complimentary wine and bowl of crackers & nuts, I left behind the 'green wasabi beans'. From then on, each bowl on each night had the wasabi beans removed - now that's service! We ate here a couple of nights as Shinjuku is not within walking distance to many restaurants. The ceasar salad was the best I've ever eaten.

The hotel is a brisk 15 minute walk to the station but if you've done a day of walking there is a shuttle service provided to and from every 20 minutes. There is a shopping complex underneath the hotel with a convenience store and chemist if you need it.

On our departure we took advantage of the limo service to Narita which came as a part of the package which was such a nice way to top off such a luxurious stay.

While I'm not too fussed on Shinjuku as a tourist destination (and as someone who loves to shop), I'd certainly recommend a few nights at the Park Hyatt if your budget allows.

1 Thank Nackworth
ladybug0709
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2010

If you can afford it, stay here. The Park Hyatt Tokyo gives attention to every last detail. Our room was always clean and comfortable with a lovely view of Tokyo. The staff were friendly and responded to any request within seconds. The gym was clean and gym staff friendly and the pool was amazing. The restaurants were very good altthough I dont think the New York Grill and New York Bar live up to the hype but the afternoon tea is delish. Staying here was truely a memorable experience for my husband and myself.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2010

The architecture and views are as awesome as advertised, but it was hard to enjoy it due to the second hand smoke. I did enjoy a nice trip through the spa, including a good massage and liked the outstanding quality of grooming products and vanities in the womans locker room. From there I went to take in the sunset with a cocktail in the fantastic atrium but it was literally hard to breathe with all the second hand smoke, and an hour later when I left I needed to completely shower, re-do my hair, hand wash my clothes which was all time I'd have rather not spent that way. This hotel wishes to have you care for the environment by forgoing sheet and towel washing which is ironic as the beautiful envrionment of the hotel itself is allowed to be made into a second hand smoke health hazzard. The sheets smelled smoky in a non-smoking deluxe level room. I walked by the restaurant to find an accordian and violin player playing to a totally empty dining room; didn't make me want to eat there at all. The very best thing about this hotel for me was the gym with a real dance studio that had a jaw dropping, awesome view and enough serious and heavy weights for the professional athlete set to seriously train. Gorgeous pool and locker room, average whirlpool/sauna in pretty womans locker room. At nearly $1,000 U.S. dollars per night I found it disappointing because I am not a smoker and I do not enjoy attempting to breathe in a smoky enviroment. I wouldn't return untill they do more than just make a smoking area because that really didn't work- it was just very smoky with cigerettes and cigars.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank touristwoman
cyclinglover
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2010

Most outstanding service I have ever received, even by Japanese standards.
Great room with a nice view over Shinjuku at night, not an opulent luxury but a very appealing sobre luxury.
I enjoyed a great view of Mount Fuji on a clear morning from the lobby, before enjoying a very tasty Japanese breakfast.
Awesome and highly recommended healthclub too.
A few minutes walk from the nearest subway station, but I don't mind.
I will definitely return!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shinjuku
Hilton Tokyo
Shinjuku Granbell Hotel
Shinjuku Granbell Hotel
#11 of 81 in Shinjuku
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,133 reviews

Been to Park Hyatt Tokyo? Share your experiences!