“stunning hotel with wonderful service”
Review of Park Hyatt Tokyo

Park Hyatt Tokyo
Ranked #1 of 81 Hotels / Ryokan in Shinjuku
Jacksonville, Florida
“stunning hotel with wonderful service”
Reviewed August 28, 2014

I was astounded by this hotel in every way. If you are looking for a charming boutique hotel, this is not it. This is a stunningly elegant, sleek and hushed place on the top floors of a giant office tower in a neighborhood of office towers. And it is one of the best hotels I have ever experienced. I was swept away (literally and figuratively) upon arrival and I didn't touch the ground until we checked out 5 days later. The staff here is a wonder: discreet, smiling, professional in every way, and so supremely good at what they do. When we arrived by bus (a two-hour ride during rush hour from Narita) we were greeted by a white-gloved bellman who acted like he had been expecting us, though he asked our name. While another colleague whisked away our luggage, the first gentleman escorted us into the smallish main floor lobby and onto an elevator. We went up to the 41st floor and walked and walked down luxuriously appointed hallways, past a beautiful restaurant and through a lovely library. At the very end of our long walk there were 3 impeccably dressed gentleman and one of the men greeted us by name and said: "May I show you to your suite?" No reception desk, so standing in line, no asking us who we were. I was hooked. He had our key (they use REAL keys here....who does that anymore?) in his pocket and showed us the suite - it was wonderful. I want to make a training video of the Park Hyatt's arrival procedures and send it to every 5-star hotel in the world with a note saying: "THIS is how it should be done!" The room floor hallways are covered in miles and miles of green Japanese silk with black lacquer accents. It is unusual and luxurious. We had a suite on the 42 floor and it was jaw-dropping, not just the views but the lavish size and the way the room (and the bathroom!) was appointed. Once you have had a heated toilet seat I don't know what else there is to experience.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank 493Ron

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (343)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed August 27, 2014

The hotel did everything right, and if I hadn't read any of the reviews here, I would have loved it. Unfortunately, the reviews here had raised my expectations very high, which left me rather disappointed.

I agree with most of what others have said, except that I didn't get any of the X-factor surprises. I arrived early, so my room wasn't ready. It would have been nice to have access to shower facilities, but I wasn't offered any, contrary to a reviewer's experience of getting complimentary access to the spa. And after the staff told me that my room would be ready shortly, he went to attend to another guest and kept me waiting for a long while. In the end, he got someone else to help me instead. While I was waiting for my room, I overheard another guest complaining about the poor service, so looks like I wasn't alone. The guest was rather obnoxious though...

Despite the staff knowing that I was celebrating a special occasion, there was no photo moment, no wishes, nothing, zilch. Conversely, several other reviewers got a few surprises.

I requested a late checkout, and was rejected.

All these were fine, since the hotel wasn't obligated to offer any of these to me. But what was very disappointing was breakfast at Girandole. First, the variety was very limited. My friend commented that his 3-star airport hotel at Narita had a wider spread. Second, service was atrocious. I ordered an egg white omelette, which took way too long. I reminded the staff about it, and added an order for eggs Benedict while at it. The egg white omelette arrived shortly, but the eggs Benedict never came. I got tired of waiting and asking, so I just left.

Despite the raving reviews here, I will probably not come back to this hotel again. For a nightly rate of US$650 that I paid, I deserve much better.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank ChesterChua
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed August 27, 2014 via mobile

The pool is amazing with 360 degree view. I always try to make time to do some activities even while I'm on a trip. So a good pool and gym is always a plus point.

The hotel is clean and I can see they take care of their hygine matter seriously.

Foodwise are good with choices but I usually go outto find foods.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank MAURICE F
West Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 25, 2014

Its a gorgeous property with incredible views of the city and Mount Fuji on clear days. Very courteous and service oriented personnel in general. Two areas I believe need improvement, breakfast personnel needs to be more attentive and responsive to guest needs, specially around speed... To slow to bring a cup of coffee; same situation all three days we stayed. Lastly the reservation Team at Hyatt, I had reservation number from Amex travel, they did not... After several minutes, supervisors, I was offered a room at Rack Rate prices which I did not accept and threaten to leave. At the end, they came through and offered a very nice room at a decent rate, I was happy but tired after 14+ hours of flying and driving!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Lorenzo S
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 24, 2014

It was a lot of fun to stay in the hotel featured in the movie Lost in Translation. The concierge provides you w/ a DVD if you want to see the movie while you stay there.
The service is excellent at this hotel, but our favorite thing was the pool area. It's on a high floor with 360 degree views, and the fitness center is in the same place. This was terrific for my family since one person could swim and still stay in touch with the person working on the fitness machines. The spa and locker room area in the hotel adjacent to the pool is really beautiful. Hot tub and cold tub adjacent to each other, and very beautifully decorated and fully staffed.
Breakfast buffet here is excellent, and the hotel restaurants are very good as well.
Remember that if you want to get to the train station via the hotel shuttle, you need to make a reservation. We hadn't been told this and when we went down for the shuttle, the seats were filled. However, the staff immediately called the hotel car to take us to the station so we weren't late for our train. That is the kind of service you will find here, and truly friendly and helpful personnel from the people at reception to the fitness and pool center people. The fitness center opens at 6 which is also a huge plus, since you can do laps or use fitness center, and have breakfast, and be out of the hotel by 7:30 for a meeting or early flight out. We were told by friends who had stayed here that we would enjoy it, and they were totally right.
If you stay here and can get upgraded to a suite, you will appreciate the space. We had 3 people and this way the extra bed was in the living room and we were not at all crowded. I would certainly stay here again,

Room Tip: Try to get a suite, and high floor. Great views and good space.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank BostonFrequentTravel
Shanghai, China
Reviewed August 24, 2014

I've been in Tokyo for a week and have enjoyed remarkable service everywhere so I was surprised by the reception we got at the Park Hyatt when we came for a drink one night. I wasn't permitted into the top-floor bar because I was wearing shorts (it was a 95-degree day), though I had a button-down shirt on and nice shoes and we had just eaten in one of the better restaurants in the city. Then we went to the 41st floor for a drink and were told we couldn't sit in the lounge area because it was closed (though there were others sitting there).

It's just odd.. I would have expected more from a hotel like this.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank hongbao13
knishiyama, マネージャー at Park Hyatt Tokyo, responded to this review, August 29, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide a feedback on your visit to Park Hyatt Tokyo.

We are very concerned to read that you were dissatisfied with your experience at the New York Bar and Peak Lounge.
Please accept our sincere apologies for being unable to match your expectations.

Even though we do have a dress code set for guests visiting our restaurants and lounges we will
take this opportunity to review our dress code policy.

Again, please accept once again our sincere apologies.

We are already looking forward to welcoming you back to Park Hyatt Tokyo.

Yours sincerely,

Thomas Harlander
Executive Assistant Manager
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed August 23, 2014

Our family had one of our best hotel experiences at the PHT. It started with the attention to detail of the staff. When I reserved, I told them our 7-year old daughter would be with us. When we checked it, we found a bath toy, child's slippers, child robe and special toiletries just for our daughter! Marshmallows with a smorgasbord of toppings were also waiting.

We thoroughly enjoyed swimming on the 47th floor and drinks at the Peak Lounge, all with fantastic views of Tokyo.

The breakfast buffet was replete with high quality choices. I especially loved the thick slices of bacon.

We definitely will be back.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank itstuan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shinjuku
Hilton Tokyo
Ginza / Tokyo Nihonbashi
Palace Hotel Tokyo
Palace Hotel Tokyo
#1 of 74 in Chiyoda

Been to Park Hyatt Tokyo? Share your experiences!