“Amazing hotel!”

Ranked #1 of 82 Hotels / Ryokan in Shinjuku
London, United Kingdom
“Amazing hotel!”
Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

When we arrived at the 2nd floor we were escorted to the reception on the 41st floor and were quickly seen to by the receptionist, who helped us with our onward transport arrangements. The receptionist then took us to our rooms. The rooms can only be described as amazing. They were spacious and tastefully designed and the views over central Tokyo and Yoyogi park were stunning (even more stunning by night). We were hungry so headed downstairs to the deli, and the food was perfectly adequate and good value for money. When we returned to our room, we saw that the housekeeping staff had brought us strawberries with melted chocolate etc. This was very kind of them and it was a delicious snack. We then made our way to the pool, where the staff at the reception and poolside where very kind and helpful. The view from the large windows were also stunning and the pool was nice, the seats comfortable. We had dinner at girandole, where the food was delicious and the service very attentive. The only criticism is that they did not a provide a substitute nut free biscuit for the biscuit that came with the ice cream (one of us had a nut allergy, which when they asked us, we told them about, and they kindly took away the biscuit before serving). We ordered room service breakfast as we had to leave before the buffet opened and once again, the quality was outstanding. When the time sadly came to check out, it was quick and the staff were polite. I cannot praise this hotel highly enough; the staff were helpful and spoke English very well, the food was amazing as were the rooms and the decor. My only regret is that we could stay only one night. What an amazing end to our holiday in Japan!

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank nondomuk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 21, 2014

My husband and I have stayed at the Park Hyatt Tokyo on several occasions in the past and it has always been one of the reasons we return to that city. The rooms are elegant and spacious by Tokyo standards, the spa is absolutely wonderful, the pool is a dream. I have always felt a stay at the Park Hyatt was worth every cent for the atmosphere and impeccable service. However, our stay last week has left me disappointed, and having once loved this place I actually now feel rather sad that I could not recommend it unreservedly to anyone travelling to Tokyo.

Check-in at the PHT is an intimate affair, but this time we found the staff cold-- no "welcome back" or any small acknowledgement of having stayed on many occasions before. The fellow who checked us in and showed us to the room was quite unfriendly, in fact seemed a bit annoyed with us. Staff around the restaurant were at times visibly inattentive to our presence. There was an mild arrogance about the place that I have not experienced before. What could it be.....??? Children! This time, we were travelling with our children. I got a distinct vibe that they are not welcome at this hotel. It was the small touches that made the Park Hyatt such a delight, but there was nothing of this nature provided for children--not even smaller bathrobes or slippers, which I would have thought was fairly standard. But perhaps more seriously for a place that should exude hospitality, we just felt that the particular requests and needs of a family were just a bit too much of a hassle for the staff.

Perhaps I'm disappointed because my previous experiences at the PHT have been so good, but I cannot recommend the Park Hyatt as a great place for a family to stay. Unfortunately this now lowers my opinion of the hotel as a whole.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
10 Thank Mary M
Stellenbosch, South Africa
Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

From the moment we arrived everything was impeccable: friendly and efficient staff, incredible views, stylish decor and lightning and a great room. It feels as if you are the only person in this hotel but there were loads of other people. The restaurants were great, especially the New York Bar and Grill. The pool was an experience!
The location is not great and you have to take the shuttle or taxi every where. But if that was better, the Park Hyatt would have deserved 6 stars!

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed April 19, 2014

It had long been a dream of mine to stay at the Park Hyatt Tokyo since the moment I saw Lost in Translation, Sophia Coppolla's 2003 timeless masterpiece shot largely at the hotel. So when my wife and I got married and we decided to go to Japan for our honeymoon, I knew exactly where our first stop in the country would be.

So how did the Park Hyatt compare with my impossibly unrealistic expectations?

Very well, actually.

From the minute my wife and I stepped through the door it was everything we expected it to be. The views of Tokyo's endless urban sprawl from the 50-something floor were breathtaking. Attentive staff catered to our every need without being obsequious. Our room's design was subtle and elegant. We enjoyed sitting by the window drinking coffee from the espresso machine, staring at the cityscape around us so much we found it hard to leave its confines. When we did eventually venture outside we usually made a beeline to the lovely swimming pool. Not some two-lane pond some hotels try to pass as a pool, but a well proportioned one where you can swim laps without worrying about colliding with other swimmers. After we took a dip, we sat in bath robs and read from the generous selection of newspapers. Breakfast was perfect. Service impeccable. Oh, and the New York Bar on the top floor...what a place. It was easy imagining Bill Murray and Scarlett Johannson's characters sitting at the table next to us.

Say what you will about the expense of staying at the Park Hyatt – indeed, I may not be able to send my unborn children to college having used their tuition money to pay the hefty bill – yet its palatial comfort, poetic tranquility and stunning vistas are memories my wife and I will cherish for the rest of our life.

Room Tip: Make sure to enjoy the free snacks and newspapers by the pool.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GShef
Moscow
Reviewed April 18, 2014

I am very much disappointed with this park hyatt. This is the worst park i have ever stayed.

The location is really inconvenient as you need to walk for 20 min for the nearest metro of JR station or take a shuttle which is only once in one hour. There is not much life around the hotel if you want to stick to the neighborhood.

The rooms are very small for Hyatt standard. also the cost for this room was way too much - i stayed for the same amount in Maldives where i had a separate villa! the was not enough space to fit two suitcases. Tea and coffee, show gels etc were provided in limited quantity - for two people you need to ask for extras.

The service is something which disappoints you the most. Rude staff in a lobby bar, numerous attempts to overcharge you during the breakfast, simply bad english and inattentive people. The top floor restaurant is so smoky at night that you simply would not be able to breath there.

The only good thing about the service is that they were cordial enough to have my luggage to transfer for free to Grand Hyatt where i was staying in a few nights after i checked out from Park.

Overall, i DO NOT recommend to stay in this hotel. There are so much better options around the same area. Hyatt needs a serious people and property upgrade there!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Dmitryvulkan
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed April 18, 2014

I stayed in the Park Hyatt in March with my significant other as a celebratory trip - and the experience was pleasant - the hotel is very nice, what you'd expect of a Park Hyatt and the rooms (while a touch dated - and reminiscent of the mid-nineties when it was built) were well-appointed. The bathroom was large but not well-lit (difficult to put on makeup properly) though the shower compared to other hotels in Japan (we stayed at the St. Regis in Osaka as well as the Tokyo Station Hotel) was rather small. I appreciated the Aesop toiletries which were lovely.

The free shuttle to Shinjuku station was nice, and overall the concierge was helpful and pleasant. We decided to swim one night before dinner at the New York Grill and did discover that tattoos are decidedly not allowed (both my partner and I are relatively heavily tattooed - sleeves, et cetera), they were terribly nice about it (as the Japanese are pleasant and nice about everything) though I still felt that they weren't thrilled about having us there (even though the pool and gym area was completely empty). I understand this is simply a Japanese notion given the fact that heavy tattooing is related to Yakuza culture, but I figured I'd give other travelers a heads-up.

Room Tip: On the higher floors Mt. Fuji is visible from the room - as it was in ours. We stayed on the 50th fl...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ecolette
San Diego
Reviewed April 15, 2014

I stay at lots of expensive hotels and when a hotel charges close to $1000US a night my expectations are very high. Sadly this hotel doesn't live up to the cost of the room. The rooms Were small and dated. The hotel is in need of a renovation, the staff are not warm or friendly by Japanese standards and seemed annoyed when I asked them to explain the multiple taxes added to my bill which added $300/night. The hotel doesn't let you use the spa without an additional charge which for the price of the room and the fact I'm a Platinum guest I thought was stupid. The location is good if you have business in the government district but if you're in Tokyo for fun this hotel is not in a good spot as you have either a long walk to the JR line or you have to take a shuttle. I'd recommend the intercontinental Strings hotel at Shinagawa station for a lot les cost, better service and attached to the train station. The best part of this hotel was checking out after two nights knowing I'll never stay there again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank Lew21
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shinjuku
Hilton Tokyo
Ginza / Tokyo Nihonbashi
Palace Hotel Tokyo
Palace Hotel Tokyo
#1 of 74 in Chiyoda

Been to Park Hyatt Tokyo? Share your experiences!