“Just like Lost in Translation”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Park Hyatt Tokyo

Park Hyatt Tokyo
Ranked #1 of 81 Hotels / Ryokan in Shinjuku
Dallas, Texas
“Just like Lost in Translation”
Reviewed December 28, 2013

We only stayed here one night on points due to a last minute layover. We didn't realize how far the hotel was from Shinjuku station so we ended up walking. The front door is a little difficult to find if you aren't familiar with the building.

Once we found the lobby, the 5 star treatment started. They do an in-room check in which I found very nice. They explained the any benefits if you are a Hyatt member. They also explained the shuttle service and the hotel gym, which is very impressive. They even have a copy of Lost in Translation in the room.

If you are a Hyatt Diamond you get free breakfast, access to the New York Bar without cover, and a happy hour from 5-7 at the bar.

Breakfast was great. There were several selections of meats, cheese, fruits, yogurts, fruits, pastries, cereals, and other warm dishes. You can also order from a separate menu in addition to the buffet. The breakfast is about $40/pp so it might be worth getting included in your room rate. While it was great, I don’t know that I would pay $40 for breakfast every day.

There is a shuttle to Shinjuku Station. If you are trying to catch a specific train, be sure to reserve you spot on the shuttle ahead of time. We reserved our time the night before to ensure we would make our train. Once the shuttle is full, you will have to take a cab.

Even if you don’t plan on working out, the gym is worth a visit. The pool is an engineering feat and the views are pretty fantastic.

We also went to the New York Bar for a quick drink before we headed out to dinner. Again, the views are amazing as the sun sets and the city of Tokyo lights up. Be sure to check the cover charge before you go. I think it’s around $20/pp unless you have status.

The staff strives to serve you as best they can. It was enjoyable being in a hotel in which service was a priority.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (336)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Manhattan Beach
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Spent three wonderful night at the Park Hyatt. Absolutely stunning views. The rooms were spacious, clean, and well thought out.

The area is very business-centric, so it is a bit of a walk/taxi to get to any of the touristy areas. The subway drops off a fair distance away as well.

Be prepared for expensive meals -- especially for a trip up to the New York bar. The food and ambiance were amazing, but you can easily spend a ton of money on a small meal (a couple would be hard-pressed to walk away for less than US$300).

This said, you simply cannot visit Tokyo without staying at least one night at the Park Hyatt.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
vimarn
Reviewed December 26, 2013

We stayed at the Park Hyatt for four nights starting our vacation in Japan, and what a start that was! From the moment we arrived to the moment we left, everything was just perfect. Check-in was quick and we got our room without having to wait until 3 pm (which is quite rare in Japan). The room was spacious, functional and very, very clean. The design is not something out of this world, we have seen more beautiful rooms at other hotels, but we felt much at ease. The bed was very large, extremely comfortable and the amenities provided in the room did not leave anything to desire.

Breakfast was just awesome in an elegant setting and equally fine guests, we enjoyed it intensely every morning. A buffet you could choose from and in addition a menu from which you could order hot meals from the kitchen (at no extra costs).

One evening we decided to dine at the Japanese restaurant Kozue and made a reservation with the staff directly as we wanted know what table they would have for us. The receptionist said that no table was available by the window, which was absolutely ok. When we arrived at around 8 pm we were shown to table by the window, which became free due to a cancellation. Unfortunately a Japanese guy sitting with his girlfriend next table was drunk and spoke with a very loud voice (thanks god that we didn't understand what he was talking). As we cannot enjoy such a beautiful Kaiseki dinner with unpleasant neighbours we asked to be reseated away from them. We were then given a table a bit in the back in one those niches, which we thought was even nicer than by the window. The dinner itself was a wonderful treat, beautifully presented and flavours that seemed to explode in your mouth. It was kind of an intellectual dinner constantly stimulating one's brain and senses. It comes at a price, specially when you have some wine with it, but your money is defenitely not wasted,

Every evening we had aperitif at the New York bar enjoying the beautiful view. Service was very friendly and attentive. We always left before 8 pm, before life jazz music started to play, which is not our favourite form of entertainment. Atmosphere is excellent and I would recommend a visit to anyone, just keep in mind what hour would suit you best.

Location in Shinjuku is very convenient; the hotel offers shuttle service to Shinjuku station, but as it is only ten minutes away by foot we always walked. From Shinjuku station it is very easy to get around Tokyo by public transport; you even can take a direct train to Kamakura where you can visit the second biggest sitting buddha in Japan; it takes about an hour and it is an absolute hilight.

In a nutshell, on all the great reviews I have read about the Park Hyatt I would put my signature. It is not cheap but you will have a most memorable stay if you decide to reside there.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank vimarn
Toulouse, France
Reviewed December 22, 2013

The Park Hyatt is quite simply one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in. Nothing too much trouble, from fixing a broken adaptor to couriering a child's birthday gift to Florida. The service is exceptional, and friendly, the food fantastic, the rooms gorgeous, the Spa lovely. This hotel is as close to perfect as it gets. I just want to come back, right now.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good, the executive rooms with a dressing room/bathroom/bedroom combo probably rep...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alysli
Houston
Reviewed December 21, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights in October while we were traveling on our honeymoon. I had indicated that we were honeymooning and I was so impressed with the hotel. When we arrived via taxi, the bellman radioed to someone and they appeared from out of no where with a beautiful bouquet of flowers for me and proceeded to escort us to our room to checkin. They pointed out all the areas of the hotel along the way. We checked in in our room, which was very nice. They gave us a beautiful room with a lovely view. They also had a bottle of champagne chilled with glasses for us. I was blown away with the special treatment that we received for our honeymoon. This is a very nice hotel and very much deserves it's rating.

I would definitely stay here again if I am in Tokyo. I have definitely passed the information on to all my friends about how wonderful the hotel is.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ScubagirlDiane
Tomigusuku, Japan
Reviewed December 21, 2013

Park Hyatt Tokyo is in a league of its own. Granted, I haven't stayed at many other 5 star hotels in my life, but going just by how incredibly happy I felt during my whole stay, I really can't see how it could get any better.

Despite the fact that I paid nearly 60,000 yen for one night, I didn't feel that it was overpriced in the least. Park Hyatt seems to put all that money into the things that really matter for a pleasant upscale stay. Magnificent views on every floor. Splendid yet down-to-earth interior design. Extremely quiet and peaceful. Warm lighting. Super-hospitable staff, who speak excellent to native-level English.

There is so much attention to detail, I couldn't find any flaw in any corner. Even the complimentary coffee in my room was amazing (it's a Nespresso machine with three different flavors to choose from).

The only negative is that it made sightseeing in Tokyo quite a bit harder, as there was this nagging thought of always wanting to come back to this hotel and just chill out. Every time I got back to the lobby on the 41st floor, it was like returning to a sanctuary from the chaotic life out there in central Tokyo.

One final thing... the breakfast was by far, the best breakfast I've ever had in my life. It's already been a few days after returning from my trip and thoughts of that breakfast still linger in my mind. It sounds pretty crazy but it really was that good.

Room Tip: recommend the park view rooms above the 41st floor
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank linterry
Canacona, India
Reviewed December 19, 2013 via mobile

Here's the location is fantastic. Will certainly stay here again. Club Lounge is the best of the best of the things l've used agent. Breakfast and afternoon cocktails are perfect in itself l'm.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shinjuku
Hilton Tokyo
Odaiba / Shiodome / Shinbashi
Conrad Tokyo
Conrad Tokyo
#1 of 108 in Minato

Been to Park Hyatt Tokyo? Share your experiences!