“Above and beyond.”
Review of Park Hyatt Tokyo

Park Hyatt Tokyo
Ranked #1 of 83 Hotels / Ryokan in Shinjuku
Reviewed December 6, 2013

We stayed for two nights and the first thing that hits you after making your way through all the lights and sounds of the city is how quiet and peaceful the space is. We had an meet up with friends shortly after our arrival and I didn't want to leave the room, it was so relaxing! The space was large, the bed incredibly comfortable (I like a firm bed and to find a hotel with one just right was a treat), the bath and shower were perfect. The view was stunning and I had a lovely time watching the sunrise on both mornings.

Breakfast was included with our package and we enjoyed both the traditional Japanese (full on energy for a long day out on the town) and the western buffet (the Hokkaido yoghurt with honey! omg!) were all very satisfying.

The library was well stocked and I found a nice book on Hokusai that I was able to sign out.

This along with the exceptional service left me with the impression that the overriding intention of the Park Hyatt is to anticipate everything you need, no matter how small, and it delivers. My now favourite hotel and I really hope we can stay there again.

Room Tip: Try an eastern view if you like a sunrise. Try the cookies!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank lostintheworld
There are newer reviews for Park Hyatt Tokyo

Reviewed December 5, 2013

We stayed at the Park Hyatt our last night in Tokyo and were blown away. The rooms were huge and the views were spectacular. It is now one of my favorite hotels in the world. The rooms were very spacious and well appointed. The hotel bar, called the New York Bar, offered a beautiful view of the city. I would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JenHillJHCCS
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Stayed here for 5 nights recently. Had 2 rooms as travelling with kids. Overall it was fine. I stayed on points.

Check-in was fine. Very busy so had to wait a bit in the lobby but otherwise pleasant. I called ahead and said we'd be there early (midday v 3pm official check-in); was told 1 room would be ready but actually both were. Was suprised to get rooms with such good views considering points stay. One had great view of the park, the other of the park and Mt Fuji. Superb. Room generally were fine. A good size for Tokyo (I paid an extra $100 for the second room). Bathrooms nice. Tons of towels, and no shortage of amenities. Beds comfy (prob a bit hard for Western tastes, but perfect for me after 6 years here!).

Food generally was poor. The breakfast was woeful. Very poor quality. I had both in restaurant, and in room dining, and neither was anything like up to scratch. Hotels don't seem to get that you can't afford to get breakfast wrong; its the most popular meal by far with guests. Also had lunch there (Girondale); good price for the set lunch but again standard was poor. Service was very efficient, but borderline cold.

NY Bar - total tourist trap. Views are nice but its like a bus station. Service was again bordering on cold, but also slow. We ate in the bar area. Dreadful quality. Clearly they are still relying on the Lost in Translation crowd. The view is good no doubt, but there are lots of other places in this wonderful city which are at least as good. If you have a room with a view, and most of them do, just get a bottle of wine and drink it in the room!

Check-out left something of a sour taste. I was not asked how my stay was, and when i asked if they could call down and get 2 taxi's for the airport the simple answer was 'no'. Hmmm.

Overall, its a fine hotel with no major issues. But its the small things, and when you are paying this sort of money you should expect things to be near perfect, not just 'good'. This was my third stay at a PH, and by far the best. A special mention to the staff in the background (like the cleaning staff), they were the only ones who seemed to be genuinely warm and friendly. But for me, its a box ticked and I don't think I'd be rushing back to stay there.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank WharfTrader
Reviewed December 2, 2013

In the service industry, there's a fine line between anticipating a customer's every need and being overbearing and annoying. The Park Hyatt in Tokyo gets it better than I've probably ever experienced. The concierge service was particularly impressive, helping me arrange airport transportation right after a typhoon (and doing so before I realized I would need some help). But there are so many other examples, from the meticulous turndown service at night to the waiter at the famous top-floor restaurant who advised me that I should consider ordering a bit less than I had. Oh, and the rooms and their views are of course top-notch, too! What an experience--worth the splurge.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank voyagewriter
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Often times, "5-star" hotels are 5-star in every area except service. From my perspective, the only thing that differentiates some 4-star hotels from being a 5-star hotel *is* the service. And the Park Hyatt Tokyo did not disappoint. I travel over 100K miles each year, and this hotel stands out. The service level there was amazing. There is a very nice spa, and the quality of the services in the spa are *very, very* good. for those who like to spa when they travel, you'll know that sometimes, the service/technicians at a hotel spa are not always the best quality, but my husband and I had services 3 times during our stay, and every service/technician we had did a truly wonderful job. I was also impressed that two times when we called to book a service, they had no openings at the time slots we wanted. But rather than turn us away or try to talk us into another time slot, they were able to bring in additional staff, and accommodate all of our time slot requests. And yet, the services were still the same high quality. This speaks to the level of service here. The steak house in the hotel is also extremely good. I was worried about a "hotel" restaurant, but it was so good that we ate there twice during our short stay. (And we're from Texas & Chicago, so we're very picky about our steaks.) We stayed in room 5012. This is a corner room, with a view of the park, the bay (in the distance), and Mount Fuji. We felt the view was probably one of the best in the hotel, so try to get this room (or that "12" tier) if you can. Another few examples of service..... each night, they *never* missed a beat. During turn down service, they ALWAYS refilled amenities, provided clean glasses, refilled our mini-bar....there was never even the smallest of item missed (i.e. bath salts, trash removal, lotions, etc.). And when we checked out, I wanted to buy a box of the "welcome" cookies we had in the room upon arrival. Unfortunately, they don't sell them. But upon hearing of my interest, housekeeping rushed to the gift shop in less than 5 minutes, with a bag of 5 boxes for me to take home with me - complimentary! But probably the thing I was most impressed with was, I accidentally left my phone in the gift shop after we had checked out (I was so excited about the cookies, I forgot my phone was on the counter). We left the hotel for the airport, and not 5 minutes after getting into the cab, I realized I didn't have my phone. I panicked, and called the hotel on my husband's cell phone. They transferred me to housekeeping. Of course, I thought, "there's no way housekeeping has my phone, it's only been 5 minutes. They're just trying to pass the buck." But to my amazement, housekeeping answered, asked me to describe my phone, and said, "yes, we have it." Three days later, my phone showed up at my home in Chicago. And they even went so far as to power it down before they sent it, so that it would be charged once I received it. This truly is AMAZING service. I cannot recommend this hotel enough!

Room Tip: Rooms in the "12" tier (we stayed in 5012) have a view of the park, the bay and Mount Fuji...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CWB3
Reviewed November 29, 2013

My wife and I had heard great reviews about the Park Hyatt Tokyo for a long time. When the opportunity came for us to visit Tokyo we decided to stay at the Park Hyatt.

Even though the hotel is a little out of a way from Narita, we didn't it too difficult to make our way to Shinjuku area and hotel. The subway system in Tokyo didn't disappoint us. It was somewhat easy to navigate to other areas of the city.

Upon our arrival, the staff recognized our elite status with Hyatt right away. They proceeded to explain us of our amenities. We found the use of the spa to be the best of the offers next to the free breakfast.

The hotel also offer free shuttle van to Shijuku station although one can walk there without breaking a sweat. However, we took advantage of the shuttle van for most of our stays.

Our room was nice and clean. It was somewhat modern. We love the Nespresso machine and toiletries they provided, which may not mean to others.

Overall, I cannot find with the Park Hyatt Tokyo at all. The room and the service, which I hadn't touched upon, were outstanding during our staty. I would not hesitate to stay at this property again.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TommyHTown
Reviewed November 23, 2013

Absolutely loved this hotel, 0 complaints here.

I stayed in November/December 2012 on business while in the APAC region for 5 days. The rooms are huge and on arrival I was greeted by a friendly staff member who took me and my luggage directly to my room. I did not go to the lobby which was a nice touch.

I used the restaurants too which were very nice with a great selection of Asian and western style foods. The rooms are very large they have a walk-in wardrobe (closet) and when having a bath it feels like you are sitting on a throne!

My pros and cons are as follows:

Pros:
- Superb rooms, comfy large beds
- Really quiet rooms, perfect sleep
- Staff addressing me by my last name whenever I returned to the hotel was a nice touch
- Carpet in the room to reduce noise (many hotels opt for wood floors these days)
- Nice desk area to work at
- Great view of Mt Fuji from the hotel on a clear day

Cons:
- None!

Well done at Park Hyatt Tokyo!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank skyoffice
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shinjuku
Hilton Tokyo
Ginza / Tokyo Nihonbashi
Mandarin Oriental, Tokyo
Ginza / Tokyo Nihonbashi
Shangri-La Hotel, Tokyo

Been to Park Hyatt Tokyo? Share your experiences!