“Pocket of Peace in the Sky”
Review of Park Hyatt Tokyo

Park Hyatt Tokyo
Ranked #1 of 83 Hotels / Ryokan in Shinjuku
Reviewed April 20, 2013

There isn't any superlatives which havent been used to describe this hotel so I will just go through my observations.

This hotel is located right in the heart of Business section of Shinjuku, it is a 15 minute walk from the sight that is Shinjuku station. Be sure to exit the station from the JR south entrance side as it's a straight walk down. Exiting from other entrances will make your journey there a bit more complicated. In the immediate area of the hotel there is very little to do, besides a small shopping centre in the basement of the building, but the area is really geared from business rather than tourism, but a short walk 10 minutes east takes you to the electrical shops of Shinjuku, whilst some people would not like the distance I quite enjoyed the pleasant walk into central Shinjuku, which from there can connect you to nearly everywhere in Japan.

As I had arrived from a short morning flight from Seoul I chose to walk to the hotel to help stretch the legs, however after a weary long haul flight a Taxi from the station would be relatively inexpensive or the shuttle bus which runs from the Shinjuku bus terminal to the hotel would be a better option.

First impressions of the hotel are one of complete stealth, besides the small sign on one wall, you would never know you were entering into a hotel, just an office block, I arrived from the south entrance to the tower so missed all the assistance at the main door and took the elevator up to the top. As I arrived a little early for check in, it was a bit longer than normal but not bothersome and they informed me I had a 4pm checkout, a nice touch and handed me a package waiting for me. Check in staff were very curious, slick and very professional.

I had booked a deluxe park room as they appeared to have a deal on opposed to the standard daily rate and I was glad of this choice. Room was very spacious with a decent size desk, a small coffee table and chair, a very large low slung bed, well designed bathroom with a massive bath, with separate shower and toilet and an accompanying walk in wardrobe room. The hotel also has free wifi in the rooms, the connection is quick, consistent and doesn't require additional logins after the first Finally a luxury hotel that doesn't charge silly amounts or free with 'restricted speed' I hope other follow suit !

The linen was crisp to a point almost unimaginable and was changed twice a day. The colours and the decorum of the room, the complete silence on all guest room floors and the location high above the city gives it a serenity which is at a complete juxtaposition to the rest of Tokyo. It's designed to give peace and quiet after a long day and it succeeds in delivering this. The room had automatic curtains and enough light cancelling properties which would allow you to sleep till about 2pm if you wanted !

I didn't use many of the Hotels facilities besides the hotel concierge who arranged a Fedex delivery for me from the hotel and took some packages of mine to sent with Japan Post. He spoke English with nearly no accent and also recommended some places for eating and shopping. I also ate one night in the New York Grill but will review this separately.

Breakfast was included in my rate and it was an reasonable sized spread, with selections of bread, pastries, cereals, yogurts a range of fruits and vegetables and small selection of cooked breakfast items. egg were cooked to order and there was a small asian breakfast section. The food was excellent but the amount of choice wasn't as vast as some other luxury hotels, but still very enjoyable.

I will admit that the hotel is not cheap, but when you take all of the information and put it into context you realise that it isn't bad value for what you get. Prime high rise location tokyo with the latest modern technology and highest quality bathroom supplements fitted into the rooms. Enough staff that allows them to stop whatever there doing to wish you a good morning/afternoon/evening/night. Clean your room twice a day and have a member of staff come to your room asking what time you would like to have you room cleaned, all of this personal service comes at a price.

Overall this hotel is a palace of peace, the staff are the most curious I have come across and everything has a peaceful, quality feel which allows you to relax. If i had one criticism it would be the breakfast, whilst it is by no means bad, the choice is a little restricted, considering what most luxury properties are offering these days. Also all juices have to be ordered like coffee and tea, this annoys me particularly and would rather have all juices be self service. I think we are paying enough to let us drink as much orange juice as we like ! However this is a small criticism and I think that if you can afford it, you should stay at this hotel at least once in your life.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Leaping_Deere

Reviewed April 19, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for our honeymoon in April 2013. It started off our holiday perfectly, and it was certainly the remedy for a sore head and jet lag as we bundled out of the taxi straight from the airport after a 17-hour flight. Having indicated during the online booking process that we were there for our honeymoon, we were truly spoiled from the moment we were ushered into the ground floor lobby.

The check-in process was hassle-free, if not just slightly strained. We were upgraded to a corner suite for a very reasonable amount, and upon arrival in our room we were presented with a bucket of ice cold champagne and a bouquet for my wife. The room was extremely spacious, with a brilliant view from the 44th floor. There was a comprehensive list of amenities provided, from a Nespresso machine to a complimentary shoe shine service.

Room service was prompt and flexible - we ordered some maguro sashimi that wasn't on the room menu, and they delivered it from the in-house Japanese restaurant, Kozue, without fuss. The New York bar was also a treat - in-house guests do not have to pay any cover for entry, and the night-time view really was faultless. Cocktail prices were, surprisingly, on par in terms of prices with an average London bar. The in-house band was more complimentary than outstanding, befitting what I'm certain was a subdued and reflective atmosphere they are attempting to achieve at the bar.

The pool surroundings were calm, albeit slightly utilitarian. On a weekday morning it was relatively quiet - we didn't spot any tacky aqua aerobics lessons in progress a la Lost In Translation. The breakfast options are ¥3,900 per person, whether you choose the buffet, a healthy breakfast option or the traditional Japanese breakfast - the latter which was ultimately my favourite.

As we were on our honeymoon, the staff at the front desk offered to take a photo of us in the hotel library and frame it up as a souvenir for us when we left. It was the perfect touch to the end of our stay. Staff were consistently polite but not intrusive.

All in all, I cannot imagine a more positive hotel experience - this is definitely what hotels were meant to be like, before the days of budget flights and budget hotels watered down what quality in service used to be.

2  Thank Jonathan A
Reviewed April 18, 2013

This hotel embodies Japanese obsession with perfection. The staff were all friendly and courteous. The concierge made reservations for us including the elusive dinner to Sukiyabashi Jiro. They've arranged pretty much all the details of our trip. Details! Yes, every detail in this hotel was thought of. Even my 7 year-old daughter's robe and slippers were perfect for her size! We've stayed at several family resorts (Four Seasons Hualalai, FS Maui, FS Costa Rica, etc) and none came up with kid size goodies!! The most impressive part was that the hotel remembered about her food allergies for our whole 6-day stay! Oh how can I forget about our awesome view of Mt. Fuji!! On our last day, Fuji-San greeted us! All in all, worth every yen!

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Park Hyatt is the place to stay in Tokyo, if you can afford it, or at least the place to have a drink.
Views are just outstanding. Rooms and common areas (pool, restaurant, bar etc) are perfect: clean, light and decorated with great taste. Staff are very efficient and helpful.
We were a bit disappointed by the breakfast which was extremely expensive.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 15, 2013

A breakfast was a little disappointment, poor choice but good quality. And room service foods from night menu was not tasty. ((
I was impressed by staff, the best from all 5 star hotels where I've been in Japan ( Ritz Carlton, Sheraton, Tokyo station hotel, Kozantei).
I will advise to take your own slippers for the pool, because they don't let you in with hotels ones and give you common use slippers, personally I, prefer to have individual.
New York bar is overcrowded, but it seems that they always have several tables reserved for guests, anyway, it's better to reserve in advance if you wanna get the view!!
Overall, unforgettable sunrises and sunsets panoramas, excellent service, spacious rooms, good location.

Room Tip: Room 4423 has a kind of a corner view, so I suggest all rooms that end on 23 have the same
Reviewed April 15, 2013

The views, the food,, the quality of service , the over-all feeling of comfort and well being at the Hotel were extremely good , as good as the stay here 6 years before . Located right opposite a Park in the heart of town. The only better location would be Ginza

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 15, 2013

In short: A very good 5* hotel, didn't find any flaws (except maybe it's not directly located in the city center). If you go to Tokyo, stay there. Service is outstanding.

The details.

We stayed at the beginning of April in the Park Hyatt Tokyo. It's located near Shinjuku, which is mostly like a business area, so there isn't much to do at Shinjuku itself, but the Shinjuku Station is one of the biggest stations and therefore very well connected to nearly everything in Tokyo. Walking to the station is a bit long, but they have a free shuttle bus running every 20 minutes to and from the hotel. If you're arriving at Shinjuku and you want to use the bus, get very detailled information in advance which exit to take and where to you, otherweise you won't find the bus (guranteed). Taxi ride is also possible and costs about 600 Yen.

The hotel is located in the upper floors of a tall building, they'll give you a warm welcome at the entrance and you'll take the elevator to the upper floors (40+). The hotel is very stylish and quiet. Check-in is quite fast and very personal.

We stayed in room 4812, which is a park view king corner room with view to Mt. Fuji. I can highly recommend this room, spacious, nice bathroom (only minor flaw: no floor heating in the bathroom). Room service is absolutely awesome, no matter at what time you leave the room, they'll clean it up fast. Service is outstanding, they'll put you power cords in the room if they see you've got lots of laptop charger stuff. The cleaning staff accidentially catched Apple Earpods with the vaccum cleaner - before we even noticed after returning to our room, they delivered us a brand new pair with some apologies to the room.

The bar and the restaurant feature stunning views. Restaurant was really good and more affordable than you might think, even though they didn't manage to cook our tuna steak correctly within two attempts. But basically price and quality is really good and the view is priceless. Also don't miss to take a swim in the pool. Awesome view. Little flaw: They charge you for the Sauna, which shouldn't be the case at this price point.

So service, room, design, everything is outstanding, worth the price and highly recommended there. As already said, the location isn't perfect if you want to use public transportation. Going by taxi isn't a problem, there are always plenty of cabs in front of the door at any time, we never had to wait for one.

Conclusion: If you go to Tokyo, stay there.

Room Tip: Get a room with view to Mt Fuji. We had corner park deluxe #4812.
1  Thank ThomasTravelTester
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shinjuku
Hilton Tokyo
Ginza / Tokyo Nihonbashi
Shangri-La Hotel, Tokyo
Ginza / Tokyo Nihonbashi
Mandarin Oriental, Tokyo

Been to Park Hyatt Tokyo? Share your experiences!