“Classic, modern and top of the world service!”
Review of Park Hyatt Tokyo

Park Hyatt Tokyo
Ranked #1 of 81 Hotels / Ryokan in Shinjuku
Munich, Germany
“Classic, modern and top of the world service!”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I got a free transfer in a BMW 5 series from Grand Hyatt Tokyo to Park Hyatt. I cant even tip the driver. How good was that? Their service was more than excellent. As soon as I step out the BMW at Park Hyatt front Entrance. The staff was already waiting for me. It seem they know I am about to arrive at anytime. She sincerely greet and took me up to the check in reception, located above level 50 or 60. I forget. I remember I need to take the lifts twice. My luggage was already being taken away by the bell boy from the car.

Park Hyatt is located near Shinjiku area about 20 mins walk from the train station. Hyatt Regency is next door. The hotel floor are on the top floor of this modern building (I forget which floor is the reception), but downstair is like a residential entrance. So there is no traditional reception on the ground floor. That keep every guest check in within a very private environment.

Once I've arrived the check in desk, show my passport. The staff lead us to my room and complete the check in inside my room. So I didn't actually stay at the check in counter for more than two minutes. The staff was very happy to show me around my room and introduce everything about this hotel offer. The service was outstanding. Usually the local Japanese do not speak very good english but this one sound like native English speaker and he told me he has nevers study aboard. So rare. I am very impressed.

As for the room, it's spacious, very clean, classic with a very nice view. I would say the room is exactly you have seen in the movie 'Lost in translation'. Mix of green and dark brown wood design with a touch of Japanese design. The bathroom and toilet are in one room. Marble material, big soak, bath salt and I love they offer Australian brand Aesop brand of amenities.

One thing is quite different from the modern hotel these days. The room key is still the traditional metal key. I asked why not install the card. The staff told me they like to remain the traditional home feeling to every guest. I guess most of their guests are from the 50s and thats why they remain the old key feature.

Similar to most of the Hyatt hotel. I have received a hand written letter from the GM and a welcome fruit (Japanese cherry) and chocolate. They are divine and delicious. In the morning the breakfast was very nice. You can order fresh eggs, noodle and chicken. The rest were fresh buffet. Fresh juice, fruits and all you can eat with a magnificent view of Tokyo on a super high rise building. Almost 180 degree and you can even see Mt Fuji. It was so relaxing. The place is beautiful interior decor. There is also a library, make me feel like I am in a Harry Potter school library.

There is a well equipped gym, fitness room and a pool on the top floor. That you can chill and have sunbathing on top everybody in Tokyo. The hotel provide swim-cap and eye goggle if you forget to bring.

Most of the guests stay here look very wealthy, business men and very well manner people so far I have met. It is definitely a hotel with taste. Not ordinary people or traveller stay here as it cost almost USD 1000 a night for a standard room in peak season. One thing I need to address was I left my wallet on a taxi after get off at the hotel entrance. As soon as I find out, the taxi was already left. The hotel bell boy was running like 100km/ph to chase the taxi and got my wallet back. I 've never experience such world class service. The bell ball actually did not have to run for me but he did. So I wrote a letter to the hotel GM about his outstanding performance and of course also gave him some nice gesture (money) to thank you.

If you are looking for a number one hotel in Tokyo. Park Hyatt is your first choice. Thank you!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Hyattdiamond

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed March 26, 2013

We stayed 3 nights in october2012. It was a family trip with the wife and 2 boys aged 8 and 9. From the moment we arrived the service was nothing I had experienced before. The room had spectacular views and the bathroom was amazing. If you are scared of heights beware, the windows are huge and may frighten some.
It will be some time before I experience a hotel of this calibre.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Denmark
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Everything is perfect. The staff from the first moment you arrive,the restaurants and the large rooms. The hotel is located at the top 14 floors of the building and the view is magnificent.
One of the very best hotels I've stayed at in the whole world.

Sapporo, Japan
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I stayed at this hotel from Mar 15 to Mar 17, 2013. The room (park deluxe) was enough spacious for 2 people and decorated with nice oriental taste. The number of rooms is small but the number of employees is not small. So the employees can pay attention to every detail of you. The pool of this hotel is located on the top floor with very nice view of Tokyo. It's worth for staying here only to swim in this pool or get relaxed around the pool. And there are so many complementary activities including yoga lessen, aerobics in the pool and so on everyday that you can stay this hotel all day long without being bored. The rate of this hotel is certainly not cheap but it's worth every penny if you want to get warm hospitality called "omotenashi" in Japanese. The only minor negative point is it's location. It's 10 to 15 minutes walk to the public transportation. But it's good for your health. I highly recommend this hotel out of the hotels with the same rate in Tokyo.

1 Thank ultra_prime_157
Shanghai, China
Reviewed March 22, 2013

As every other reviewer will tell you, the hotel is outstanding, the scenes from Lost in Translation are great and the service is impeccable. I agree.

All that said, the best part is the location. Just a short walk from Shinjuku nightlife, Harajuku Anime craziness and a peaceful park means you can do anything from here without having to worry about taxis and trains all over Tokyo. Stay here, save yourself the traffic and public transport headache, especially if you don't speak Japanese, and just enjoy getting lost in every alley the area has to offer.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Steve W
San Francisco
Reviewed March 21, 2013

The Park Hyatt in Shinjuku is my favorite hotel in the world. No doubt, it is an expensive indulgence, but I absolutely love everything about it. I first stayed at the Park Hyatt on a business trip 14 years ago (1999), and have been in love with it ever since. My wife and I just returned from a 5-night stay (part business, part leisure), and it was even better than I remember.

Just after we checked in, I told my wife that the hotel was so beautiful it made my heart ache, and I just wanted to share it with everyone I know.

There are just so many good things - I'll pick a few to comment on:

The service: The excellent service started from the moment we arrived; our bags were taken, and we were escorted up to the check-in area on the 41st floor. We were greeted by a member of the staff, and we sat down at a fine desk in order to complete our check-in. We were able to quickly arrange train tickets to Kyoto and a couple of nice dinner reservations. All of the service is friendly and efficient, and the staff is courteous and helpful at every turn.

The food: We ate at Girandole, the European-style all-day restaurant, for breakfast every day. The buffet is expensive, but fantastic. Everything was perfect, down to the cup of coffee, which is one of the best I've ever had. My wife had the hot chocolate and reported the same.

We ate at the New York Grill, which is simply spectacular. I love the vibe. The views are amazing, the staff is great, the restaurant design is excellent. We enjoyed our steaks, although they were not the best we've ever had (by now, our expectations were pretty high).

We had drinks at the Peak Lounge on the 41st floor. My martini and my wife's Bellini were both perfect, and the vibe and views make you want to just stay there all night.

The room: Outstanding. Comfortable. Views of Mt. Fuji. Great shower. Nice, roomy bathroom. Huge closet. Lovely design touches. The bed was comfortable, though perhaps a bit firm (no box springs).

The design: I love the design of this hotel. It has held up exceptionally well over the years. I love the wood and the lighting and the style of the rooms. It's just beautiful.

I was pleased to have free wifi that worked well. We didn't use the TV at all - better to just stare out the window.

I could go on and on. The Park Hyatt Tokyo is my favorite hotel in the world.

Room Tip: We had a Park Deluxe King room on the 42nd floor, and I just loved the layout or fung-shui or whatev...
3 Thank Dick C
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 19, 2013

This hotel is outstanding-- the room I had was the basic room with a king bed on the 42nd floor. It was not huge but it was perfectly thought out. The bathroom had a deep tub, fantastic shower and great amenities, Of course there is 24 hour room service and with the jet lag I had to order dinner one time at 3 am and it came within 8 minutes. Every room has incredible views of Tokyo because of how high up the hotel is. This is an amazing choice if you have to do business in Tokyo because the room has everything a business traveler needs to work easily, including adapters, a nice desk, and free wifi. It is also so quiet- you would not know there are other guests there! The gym and pool at the top level is an absolute must-visit. I took at 6 am swim in the rooftop glassed-in pool and looking out of the windows, Mount Fuji was there in full view- truly stunning!

Room Tip: You cannot go wrong here but if you could ask for a room with a view of mt fuji you will be even hap...
Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank sfbarb
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shinjuku
Hilton Tokyo
Hotel Gracery Shinjuku
Hotel Gracery Shinjuku
#5 of 81 in Shinjuku
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,224 reviews

Been to Park Hyatt Tokyo? Share your experiences!