“Outstanding!!!”

Ranked #1 of 81 Hotels / Ryokan in Shinjuku
Brisbane, Australia
“Outstanding!!!”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Park Hyatt Tokyo for two nights in mid January 2013 on our way to a week's skiing in Niseko. I chose this hotel based on past Tripadvisor reviews and decided to treat ourselves to a Park King View room (corner room) with breakfast included and requested a high floor and Mt. Fuji views. We got both and much more. Our room was on the 47th floor and had fantastic 180 degree views over west Tokyo to Mt. Fuji (see photos).

The room was fantastic, not just because of the views but because it was spacious, extremely clean and very well appointed. The bed was very confortable. The bathroom a delight, with deep bathtub, separate shower and toilet, and walk-in robe. The toilet was a highlight with built-in bidet, seat warmer and auto-flush (very uncommon in Australia!!). The toiletries provided were very nice and there was a very well stocked mini-bar with fridge as well as a kettle and hotel provided tea, coffee, milk and sugar. Another great thing about the room was the remote controlled blinds on the windows - it was great in the morning to wake up and open the blinds to see the great views.

The hotel has a rooftop indoor heated swimming pool and gym which were outstanding. It's so cute, there is a pool attendant there who gives you dressing gowns, pool slippers, swimming caps and instructs you to shower before entering the pool. We attended the gym on our first morning there and saw Mt. Fuji appear in the distrance as the sun came up - it was just magic.

Breakfast was fantastic. The restaurant is on the 41st floor (ask for the private room table in the corner) so you get to enjoy your food over great views of the city. There was a choice of the buffet breakfast or the "healthy" breakfast. I tried both and both were equally great. The "healthy" breakfast has a health smoothie (your choice from list) as well as oatmeal, fruit, yoghurt and scrambled eggs. The buffet has everything you could possible want, both western type and Japanese. You can also order eggs to your liking.

We visited the New York Bar (on the 52nd floor) on our first night at the hotel and enjoyed a couple of very nice (and strong) cocktails. On our second night we had dinner at the New York Grill (book ahead of time or you wont get in and request table by the window) which was outstanding.

But the very best thing about this hotel is not any of the above. It is the quality of the service and the attentiveness of the staff. It is just amazing from the moment you arrive at the entrance to the hotel to the moment you leave. Words cannot do it justice and you just have to experience it for yourself to understand just what I mean.

If you want to check out this hotel for yourself watch the movie "Lost in Translation".

There are not too many negatives to this hotel - not even location as its very close (10 minute walk) to the subway/train line - but if I had to find fault I would say that because the hotel is situated within a three tower building it can be hard to find the hotel's entrance if you enter the building by the wrong entrance - which happened to us.

We have stayed in some very nice and exclusive hotels - but this is one of the best we have experienced. Definately worth a splurge! you wont regret it.

Tip - its cheaper to get a private car from the airport than a taxi. Don't book through hotel as this is much more expensive. We used Airport Transfers Narita (narita@airporttransfer.jp) who were great and it only costs us 19,000 Yen each way.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Ozi1_10

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Carrickfergus, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Loved our one night at this plush hotel . Just sorry didn't have more time to enjoy the excellent facilities at the hotel . Enjoyed a comfortable nights sleep in the soft bed with no noise to disturb us. Everything was as you would expect for this calibre of hotel.
We ate in the New York Grill and whilst pricey it was a great experience to have a seat by the window looking out across the skyline of Tokyo.
Room service was good and we enjoyed having breakfast brought to our room.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Colleyville, Texas
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I stayed at the Park Hyatt Tokyo during a vacation trip in December for 5 nights. Sometimes when traveling you have a hotel experience that hits on all important stay variables. This is not a common occurrence. The Park Hyatt Tokyo went past that benchmark. When I’m on vacation, I’m a business casual kind of dresser; no matter here as everyone I dealt with treated me like their true priority at that moment. The room had accoutrements I have not had in previous travels. It was a true pleasure.

Room Tip: They have corporate rates with a menu of big companies. It was a substantial savings. Ask - you neve...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Cindy P
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Rooms are absolutely great as well as service. The view from the room was almost better than view fromTokyo Tower and we could see Mount FUJI at the day time. One thing we did not like -seems like waiters at restaurant do not understand English well....

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

Stopped off at the New York bar on the recommendation of a friends blog. What an amazing place!!!! It's the 52nd floor over looking Tokyo and has one of the best views of the city I believe.
If your not staying at the Hyatt you will have to pay a hefty cover charge per person (as we did on jazz night). However it's worth it for the experience.

Tip: the Bellini is delicious!! And get a window seat, it can be hard to find when walking around the streets as its on top of a tower office building.

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank redribbons112
Madisonville, Louisiana
Reviewed January 19, 2013

My wife and I arrived at the Park Hyatt Tokyo for 12-30 to 1-1-2013. We had a Park Hyatt King sized bed room with a view out to the bay. This was our first time to Tokyo and it was breathtaking. You first enter the 2nd floor entrance and then your bags are whisked away immediately by a porter. You are then escorted to the 41st floor where you meet the concierge. The concierge then escorts you and the porter to your room and reviews your billing information privately. The concierge also shows you the room controls and asks if there is anything else you would require. I've never seen this over the top level of customer service but i liked it. The hallways in the hotel are a teal silk wall covering and it is definitely posh and refined. I think we were on the 46th floor. Also the Japanese art in the elevators are comedic.

My wife was presented with a beautiful bouquet of flowers and a bottle of champagne to celebrate our occasion. Nice touch!

The hotel breakfast in the french restaurant (41st floor) is a bit price at around ~$39/person but i do remember I am at a Park Hyatt and this is Tokyo. For that fixed price you get all you can drink coffee which is ground every time you request it. Your water glass is never empty and there is always someone willing to assist you. In your fixed breakfast you are allowed to have two (2) eggs any style and my wife and I wanted to have poached eggs which arrived at our table on top of mini English muffins which were perfect.

If anyone is considering this hotel to stay at, i advise you that in life there are places where you really get what you pay for. If you can afford a stay at the hotel it is beyond worth it.

Now for the New York Lounge, it is on the top floor, i think 51 or 52. I am a fan of the movie "Lost in Translation" and was aware of the hotels celebrity status before arriving. It was nice to see the filming locations while enjoying a drink and a canape. I was a bit disappointed with the level of smokers in the bar area but the view is BEAUTIFUL. It's a great opportunity to see all around the area and if your lucky you can see Mt. Fuji on a clear day.

Location: The PH Tokyo is located in the Shinjuku area which is considered West Tokyo by some. It's not the most convenient location due to the fact its a 15 minute walk to Shinjuku station. I still found the hotel convenient to the metro and the wonderful large park.

I only stayed two (2) nights at this hotel and I can say it is by far in the top two tied with Park Hyatt Shanghai.

Thank you Park Hyatt Tokyo for providing this forgotten level of customer service and superior Japanese hospitality!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tluehr1
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 15, 2013 via mobile

Wow. Where to start. The Park Hyatt Tokyo is a first class hotel with the most amazing views to be had at every turn.

From start to finish the staff at Park Hyatt went out of their way to give us an amazing stay. Upon check in we were greeted at the first floor lobby and ushered to the main lobby on the 41st floor. All I can say is wow! The views from every window were breath taking and I felt as if I could reach out and touch the clouds. The check in process was fast and we were swiftly ushered to our room on the 47th floor. Being that most hotel rooms in Japan are relatively small, I wasn't expecting much in the way of bathroom space. Boy, was I wrong! The bathroom was large with a deep soaking tub and separate shower and toilet area. Oh, and can we discuss the toilet? I will never be able to live without a toto washlet again! There was a sink along another wall flanked by 2 make-up vanity areas. The room itself was very roomy with a comfortable (hard) bed, separate seating area and desk. The main attraction, however, was the VIEW! On a clear day Mt. Fuji is visible and the sunrise/set from the 47th floor was spectacular.

New York Bar was one of my favorites in the city for drinks after a long day of walking around. The view there? Amazing.

The gym was small but nice and not too crowded. The view from gym? Unbelievable!

The food at the hotel was wonderful. From room service, girandole (restaurant off lobby), New York Bar, and Delicatessen on the office park level, all the food I consumed here was great!!!

The hotel is pretty much in a business district but it is a short walk to the shipping district and train station of Shinjuku.

The only complaint I have is that the concierge is a bit shy about giving western guests any suggestions of local, authentic Japanese food/experiences. We were mostly steered to "safe" places that wouldn't shock our delicate western palate. Lol. We quickly learned to not ask for many suggestions from them.

Over all my stay was perfect!!!

Stay here!

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank allison P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shinjuku
Hilton Tokyo
Hotel Gracery Shinjuku
Hotel Gracery Shinjuku
#5 of 81 in Shinjuku
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,223 reviews

Been to Park Hyatt Tokyo? Share your experiences!