“Luxury hotel with a view I'll never forget”
Review of Park Hyatt Tokyo

Park Hyatt Tokyo
Ranked #1 of 83 Hotels / Ryokan in Shinjuku
Reviewed August 24, 2012

We spent our final night in Japan at the Park Hyatt Tokyo and it was nothing short of amazing. The staff was fantastic, we came as a group of 6 and they quickly ushered each of us to our own desk to check-in. They were extremely accommodating and answered any questions we had about the area or travel questions we had for the next morning.

Our room was by a long shot the biggest room we had while staying in Japan. It had an amazing bathroom with a ginormous soaking tub and glassed in shower. The bed was huge and super comfortable. All of that was nothing in comparison to the view, it was unforgettable, it felt like you could see all of Tokyo. While some of the more expensive rooms had different views we really felt like any view from this hotel was a win.

We went up to take a quick dip in the pool before it closed, I think it was around 10. The pool was a good size but again what made it amazing was the view, the entire pool was surrounded by windows. After that we went up to the New York Bar and Grille to have a drink. The drinks were a little pricey but the atmosphere made it well worth it. There was a live jazz band playing and if you are super lucky you could get one of the seats right next to the window.

We had signed up for a mid-week special that included breakfast but needed to be out of the hotel before the actual restaurant was open. Thankfully they had an amazing feast of a breakfast brought right to our room.

I will note we had a little trouble finding the actual entrance to the hotel, we ended up walking through the main lobby of the building because we missed the front door, so we had to go through a restaurant. The hotel lobby is actually up on the 41st floor.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Frosterra

Reviewed August 20, 2012

This hotel lived up (and exceeded) my expectations. From the moment we arrived and were led to our room for check-in, the experience was fantastically relaxing. We felt well taken care of. My husband has Diamond status and used an suite upgrade here, and it was certainly worth it. The suite had living room/dining room area, a partitioned-off bedroom area, a corner with dressing table and walk-in closet, and a fairly large bathroom. A huge room by Tokyo standards, I think!

The Aesop products were fantastic; I'd never used them before but am a fan now especially of the orange scented lotion (it's a nice, creamy lotion great for winter use. I'm particular about my lotions but this had a great, non-sticky formulation and a non-cloying smell).

The hotel exudes quiet calm, even when it's full of people. The staff is very professional and helpful, and the food in the restaurant was delicious. I see hundreds of people have already reviewed this hotel, so I'm not adding much that's new, but I still wanted to add my voice to the praise.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank JaneL75
Reviewed August 20, 2012

If you have some cash to splash or your company pays for you - that is the hotel you want, will remember and want to come there again. A fantastic place on top of the skyscraper with a magnificent view, famous grill bar with live music and cozy breakfasts with beautiful Japanese waitresses. should I mention "Lost in Translation" that was shot there?:)
and dont forget to use those white cotton rich robes for the swimming pool, you will feel like Bill Murray, guaranteed:)

Room Tip: all rooms are great!
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Katya_girl
Reviewed August 18, 2012

what a fantastic staff. the SECOND i stepped out of the taxi, the staff greeted me by name, assisted me with luggage and were extremely helpful whenever i had questions. i went during the rainy season, and that didn't hinder my stay (thankfully it wasn't really raining too much) but it was really neat to have your room so high up that you were in the clouds. the bar was really cool, and during our time there, they had a jazz band play. it's a bit far from some of the more interesting areas of tokyo (it's in the skyscraper district) but you can always walk about ten mins to transportation or even hail a cab. if you are going to the airport and need a shuttle pickup from the airport, make sure you make a reservation as soon as possible (they offer that upon check-in) because the spots fill-in quickly! otherwise, you should atleast try one night here, it's worth the splurge!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank girlflyingsolo
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Had a great stay here. Enjoyed impeccable service experience. Staff were incredibly polite and helpful. Room had a wonderful view over the city, with beautiful decor and loaded with everything you could ever need during a stay. Noteworthy stocking of fabulous Aesop products in the bathroom. The hotel is located at the top of a tower block, so the route to the room felt a bit circuitous via one elevator, a stroll through the wraparound hotel lobby area, and then another elevator. Ultimately worth the walk.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on the general (aka smoking permitted) floor, unless you really do want to smoke in your...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank RegTravellers
Reviewed August 14, 2012

I had been wanting to stay at this hotel since I watched “Lost in Translation” I know that’s a little sad, but I like the movie and have more than a little in common with "Bob". The Hype can always lead to disappointment, but in this case it certainly did not. In summary I loved the hotel, it really is different, as most Park Hyatt’s are and the views are truly spectacular. The service in the hotel is also as good as you can find anywhere in the world, nothing is a problem that cannot be sorted, which is important to me. My only criticism is that the hotel is looking a little tired and somewhat threadbare. This would normally bother me, but everything else was so good that on this occasion it didn’t. I didn’t eat at the hotel but they gave me some great restaurant tips which is not often the case with hotels. The bar is also magic with terrific views and is a great place for a few drinks after coming back from dinner. The hotel often gets knocked for being a little out of the way, but I didn’t find this to be the case at all. After the hussle and bustle of Tokyo all day and night it is great to get away to the some silence in the sky. All in all the two nights I stayed were First Class.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Leucoxene
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We've stayed in five star hotels all over the world and the Park Hyatt knocks many of them into a cocked hat for service, exclusivity and the feeling of getting what you're paying for. Yes it's incredibly expensive. It's our third (fourth?) stay here, this time for eight nights, on the top floor (51st), two adults and two children and as usual everyone knows us by name (despite many never having met us before). Everything is at hand, great breakfast, good meals at all the restaurants, excellent room service, nice pool and amazing views from the gym. Ten minutes walk to Shinjuku shopping district and even a small park for the little ones opposite.

Yes some of the interior (carpets, black lacquered wood) is looking a bit dated (a quick refresh of these would make a pretty big difference), but you can forgive this as it's all immaculately kept. Service is completely transparent (as it should be), things just happen without fuss, housekeeping, laundry it just works. The front desk staff are super friendly and can help you with just about anything you require.

Despite the stuck-in-the-early-naughties decor choices I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again. You get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Request the highest floor (51st).
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank philask
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shinjuku
Hilton Tokyo
Ginza / Tokyo Nihonbashi
Shangri-La Hotel, Tokyo
Ginza / Tokyo Nihonbashi
Mandarin Oriental, Tokyo

Been to Park Hyatt Tokyo? Share your experiences!