“Fine”

Ranked #6 of 81 Hotels / Ryokan in Shinjuku
London, United Kingdom
“Fine”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Have been before so know what to expect . Stayed 1 night in a basic room, not impressed ....small for that price. Then 4 night latter came back to a deluxe room....can not compare for about £24 a night extra....on the 25 floor. Had a trial period for Platinum membership which gives you free wifi, still can not understand why they still have to charge when you are paying over £150 a night but most 3 * hotels are free. The breakfast was 5* with Western food, can not fault the service and the room was spotless every day. The bus direct to both airports is very handy.
The shuttle bus to Shinjuku station runs every 20 min both ways or a 10 min walk.
The difference in price between a 3 * and Hyatt is about £50 a night but you can not compare...depends on your budget.

Room Tip: Must shop around for a deal....hotel had a spring deal which included breakfast which no one else of...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Honolulu
Reviewed May 28, 2014

It took a bit of doing, but we were able to get a room for about $250/night, but our requirement was that it needed to sleep 3 adults. The sleeper sofa was made up to accommodate the third adult and the others had single beds. Service here is prompt and outstanding. It's a nice hotel with a beautiful lobby that is apparently the site for many weddings. The grand lobby with the highest ceiling that I have ever seen is impressive. The hotel restaurants are also pricey, but there are many nearby restaurants within a 10 minute walk. There is also a hotel shuttle running between the Shinjuku station and hotel every 20 minutes. The Tochomae Subway Station is adjacent to the hotel that opens up tons of options.

The room is nicely appointed and while the bathroom is nice, ours was showing signs of mildew on the shower walls. The toilets have bidets and the tubs are furo style to take a nice soak. There are ample supplies of the typical bathroom products and travel toothbrushes, sewing kits, and shower cap are replenished daily. Free bottles of water are a nice plus. A hot water pot for coffee and tea is also provided. Wifi isn't free, but the speeds are great. We were able to get a three prong to two prong adapter for our US electrical plugs. Japan uses two prong outlets and this Hyatt Regency is not different. Voltage is close enough, but an adapter is necessary.

English is widely spoken here which helped us as my Japanese is terrible. I greatly enjoyed our stay and recommend it highly.

Room Tip: Rooms near the elevator are quiet.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
hk
Reviewed May 27, 2014

We reached early in the morning and was required to pay 3000 yen for early check-in. Stayed for 2N in a superior non-smoking room. Room is spacious by Tokyo's standard but needs to be updated. Bathroom is clean but it looks as if I'm stucked in the 80s. It is not near the Shinjuku metro station but a shuttle bus is provided to send and fetch us from opposite the station (last bus 9.30pm). I left my iPhone in the room & housekeeping has been doing a great job by leaving it where it is and remind us to charge our electronic devices at the working table instead of at the power point beside the floor lamp. It's the honesty and the attention to little details of the housekeeping staff that delighted us.

Room Tip: If your budget permits, pay more to stay in the executive floor where rooms have been refurbished
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank gamgeeHK
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed May 25, 2014

The hotel is ok but it gives a bit a worn impression. You feel like in a typicall outdated US hotel with carpet floors and outdated bathroom.

They also made a real big deal about me asking a double bed instead of a twin. The hallway has impressive chandeliers but again here this si so 80's - 90's. Next time I will look for a modern hotel and probably a different area (ginza or Shibuya) as this is quite far from everything.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed May 24, 2014

The lobby of the hotel is really grand, and looks great on first getting there. The staff are all amazing. The rooms are not good. They are really small, and really outdated. Although they were completely clean, they just looked dull and grubby. It's not a good hotel for its class and price. The beds are not that comfy either. The location in Shinjuku is not good - you need to get a shuttle bus to shinjuku station, so it's not near any of the bars or restaurants in shinjuku.
Also, having travelled all the way through Japan, this was the only hotel that wanted to charge for internet/wifi access. I found that to be ridiculous and stupid in this day and age. Even a tiny ryoken in Kyoto did not charge us for wifi. The breakfast, although had plenty of choice, was not nice at all - overpriced, and everything was cold. The gym was also rubbish for a hotel of this size. Few running machines, one bench with light weights.
If you are looking for luxury, or a nice location, or a nice room, do not book this hotel. If you're looking to be disappointed by a complete failure in standards, book this.

Room Tip: Go for a different hotel better located in Shinjuku
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
5 Thank Rami N
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed May 18, 2014

I have been staying at this hotel, since its beginning some thirty something years ago. Last weekend, upon checkin the front desk advised me that "BECAUSE I BOOKED WITH AGODA AND THEY GAVE A SPECIAL RATE, I WOULD RECEIVE MY HYATT GOLD PASSPORT CREDIT" Now, that was a nasty surprise. When did I agree to this? Agoda will post its rate and we accept it. The points, for the 3 rooms, for 10 nites each, are my reward. NOBODY is entitled to make decisions about them without my participation. Spoke to an assistant manager whom said I was right and he would "take care of it". Later received a call messg from the front desk manager advising me that Hyatt and Agoda had reached an agreement to forfeit my points.
What a deceitful manner to handle offerings extended to customers. Hyatt brags a lot about your point accumulation only to miscalculate how points are to be adjudicated and arbitrarily deny a customer its due.
Watch on this issue. Maybe it is just this hotels management that is willing to sacrifice Hyatt's reputation by penny pinching on their offerings. They can't tell me that our 3 rooms for 10 days are not a profitable deal.
other than that, the hotel is always a safe bet, most of the staff is above average, good room service and housekeeping. Location is a long time favorite of ours. But the, recently renovated, 5star Hilton next door has just become our next best place to stay in Shinjuku.

Room Tip: rooms are small, by American standards, but that is no surprise. beds are a great sleep. city view...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank GILBERT R
Perth, Australia
Reviewed May 12, 2014

Stayed twice during my recent and first trip to Japan. The first time was immediately upon landing in Tokyo and the second time after we left Tokyo and travelled to Osaka and Kyoto before returning to Tokyo. Overall, I enjoyed my stays at the Hyatt Regency Tokyo but the standard of the hotel is a little hit and miss which perhaps is understandably given that it is a very large place.

Our check ins both times were efficient and pleasant. On the first occasion, a lovely lady from the concierge counter took us up to our rooms with our suitcases and explained the workings of the room. She was very helpful and very pleasant and knowledgable.

The first room we stayed in was comfortable, a reasonable size but by no means luxurious. It had linoleum floors in the bathroom and basic furnishings. It was essentially a basic, clean, comfortable room in a nice, large hotel. There was no magic or "wow" factor unless you have a much more vivid imagination than mine.

During our initial stay and prior to leaving for our visit to Osaka and Kyoto, we enquired at the front desk whether they had rooms available when we returned. The man at the front desk with the stained smoker's teeth was abrupt and gruff. However, he quickly realised his mistake and changed his attitude just before I could tell him I would prefer to deal with someone else or that I had changed my mind about booking a further stay. Everyone can have bad hair days so I didn't wish to aggravate the situation.

When we checked in again after our sojourn to Osaka and Kyoto, we were asked whether we would like an upgrade to a better room for approximately $20 a day more than the room we had previously. As the upgrade didn't cost much more, we took it and it was was a beautiful room that was furnished to a high standard. I strongly suggest taking the room upgrade option if it is available. The second room is not a Club Room on a Club Floor with Club facilities. The hotel must have different categories of ordinary rooms.

We arrived in the midst of Golden Week. Being first timers to Japan, we had no idea it was Golden Week and that accommodation and transportation would be in high demand. Perhaps that was why we were not offered the room upgrade option initially. The same lovely lady from the concierge's desk took us up to our second room. Both rooms had views over Shinjuku and Tokyo. The second room was on the 22nd floor, higher up than the first and faced a different direction. She was easy to engage in conversation, was a good hostess and explained that on a clear day you can see Mt Fuji from the window but this usually happens in winter when less moisture in the air promotes better visibility. It was spring and no matter how much I squinted, I could not see Mt Fuji.

Tokyo is a large metropolis! Although it is well connected by its numerous subway and train lines, it can be a little daunting for a first time visitor. The Hyatt Regency Tokyo is approximately a 15 minutes walk to Shinjuku Station, one of the busiest in Tokyo. The hotel provides a shuttle bus to Shinjuku Station departing every 20 minutes from 8am to 940pm. The same shuttle bus returns to the hotel from Shinjuku Station 10 minutes later. As is the Japanese way, it leaves on time. It will not wait for late comers as the Japanese think it is terribly inconsiderate to keep others waiting.

If you arrive at Shinjuku Station from the airport and want to find the Hyatt Regency Tokyo's shuttle bus, its stop is at the West Exit of Shinjuku Station in front of the Odakyu HALC Department Store. Ask someone for directions as Shinjuku Station is large with multiple floors and exits. Find the Granvia Hotel and the shuttle bus stand is just around the corner which the Hyatt shares with the Royal Rhiga Hotel and the Imperial Hotel. Better yet, take the Airport Limousine Bus from the airport and get dropped off at the hotel itself.

It is pointless to say whether the hotel is in a convenient or inconvenient location. Tokyo is such a large, spread out metropolis. If the purpose of your trip to Tokyo is business, then choose a location close to your business meetings. However, if it is for leisure, Shinjuku is as good a place as any. Shinjuku has good food, entertainment and shopping. From Shinjuku Station you can connect to everywhere else in Tokyo and beyond.

The room attendants are efficient and unobtrusive. Service is prompt if you require anything like more tea or coffee bags. It was always a pleasure to return from seeing the sights of Tokyo to a freshly made up room with a card giving the name of the room attendant. The little origami crane next to the card was a nice, culturally appropriate touch.

My room did not include breakfast and being on holidays, I took the opportunity to sleep in and missed trying the breakfast at the Hyatt Cafe. I usually return late from sight seeing and would have had my dinner outside of the hotel. However, on my last full day, I took the opportunity to try the Bento Box lunch special at the hotel's Japanese restaurant. If you expect a quick takeaway type bento box, think again. It was a rather fancy bento box containing morsels some of which are easily identified and others mysterious. It went well with a nice glass of blood orange cocktail. It is reasonable value for a rather substantial meal.

My friend and I didn't wish to drag our large suitcases with us to Osaka and Kobe on the trains especially given that it was Golden Week, we expected the trains to be more crowded and we didn't wish others to trip over our suitcases in busy train stations. The concierge staff stored our suitcases for us. Upon our return, my friend lost our baggage claim tags but unfazed, the concierge staff asked our names and a description of the bags and located them promptly. The concierge's desk also booked our return Airport Limousine Bus ride saving us the effort of doing so.

One of my bug bears is that wifi costs approximately $6 a day. While it is not free, it is not exorbitant either so it is not a major issue.

On the day we checked out, we had to wake up at 5am in order to finish packing and check out to catch our flight. I looked out the room window and the spring dawn was already casting an orange glow over the tops of the buildings. In the dim glow of early dawn, thought I saw a blurred vision of Mt Fuji in the horizon but put it down to my imagination. I had wanted to see Mt Fuji. Had considered a trip there but ran out of time. As the light gathered intensity, the view cleared and the iconic cone of Mt Fuji was unmistakeable. It was a truly magical moment. The lovely lady from the concierge desk wasn't exaggerating.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade to a better room on a higher floor with a view of Mt Fuji if possible.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank EricPerth_Australia
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shinjuku
Hilton Tokyo
Shinjuku Granbell Hotel
#11 of 81 in Shinjuku
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,209 reviews
Hotel Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku

Been to Hyatt Regency Tokyo? Share your experiences!