“The best option for Western travelers in Asia.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hyatt Regency Tokyo

Hyatt Regency Tokyo
Ranked #6 of 81 Hotels / Ryokan in Shinjuku
Miami, Florida
“The best option for Western travelers in Asia.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

After a 10-hour flight from San Jose (CA), we arrived at Narita to then take a two-hour train ride to Shinjuku station - the most transited station in the globe. Walking out of there trying to find the correct exit which would lead us to the hotel was close to a nightmare! This was our first time in Japan, so it was a very exciting moment for us.

After an hour wandering around the station, we found the correct exit and finally arrived at the gorgeous Shinjuku skyscrapers area. The Hyatt was one of the nicest buildings around.

Upon entering the humongous lobby (one of the tallest I've seen, along with the biggest chandeliers in the world) two eager Japanese clerks approached us and took our bags to the check-in agent.

In less than 5 minutes, we were issued our key cards and directed to our rooms in the 16th floor.

Rooms were spotless. Clean and with a very nice scent. Beds, albeit a tad hard, were comfortable enough for a great sleep.

The view from our room was breathtaking, with a natural park full of trees on the right-hand side, and the Shinjuku district building on the left. In the background, some of Tokyo's most symbolic places could also be seen.

We requested to have Wi-Fi access, so we had another nice staff member come up to our rooms and install a rather obsolete router which, however, delivered the fastest internet speed I have ever experienced in my life... Asia, I believe!!!

The TV options aren't the best. There are the usual CNN/BBC/FOX channels, so don't expect much.

The bathroom is OK, nothing out of the ordinary. The toilets have the usual Japanese bidet function which I was reluctant to try.

Breakfast, even though it isn't included in the room's rate, was quite good. Several western options, such as omelettes, croissants and yoghurts are available. My only complain is that when crowded, they fail to replenish the buffet quickly.

All in all, it's an amazing hotel located in the best district in Tokyo. It's 5 minutes away from the Station and the staff is professional and corteous. Airline crew often stay at this hotel. We managed to spot Alitalia and Air France's crew.

There is a shuttle that runs from the hotel to Narita and Haneda every hour for about 25 US Dollars.

Completely recommend it!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank enriquep100

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

Hyatt Regency set the standard for hotels for our visit to Tokyo. When we checked in, we were upgraded to a deluxe room. We booked a standard, non-smoking. The deluxe room have a separate toilet to the bathroom and the standard you would expect from a 4 star hotel.

It is not located close to the Shinjuku shopping strip but a regular shuttle bus takes you to the Shinjuku station which allows you to walk to the shopping strip and restaurants. There is also a shuttle bus that takes you to the airport which is very convenient.

The down side is that you need to pay for internet access. Though it is only 300 yen per day but it is per devise. So if you have a number of devises the cost could mount up.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Berlin, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

Located in the Shinjuku district, the hotel is well located for travelers who want to explore the Shinjuku area, but there are no really nice restaurants and bars located in walking distance. Interior is not really modern style any more, but in good condition and (of course, the hotel is in Japan...) very clean. Spacious rooms at comparatively reasonable rate. Have staid in more expensive rooms of half (!!) the size. Very well trained, friendly and customer oriented staff, apparently all speak English. Excellent star rated french restaurant Cuisine(s) of Michel Troisgros. Connection to Narita airport by limousine bus which starts at the Hyatt.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

To begin with the airport shuttle drops you and picks you up at the doorstep. centrally located. Have shuttle bus which is very regular up to the shijuku train station.

Good buffet breakfast spread.

Nice rooms and excellent room service.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

This was my second and third stay at the Hyatt Regency Tokyo. The 1st time last March we actually had one not very nice person. This time it was my husband and me it was our anniversary we usually go on trips to celebrate our anniversary. This was a special year and the lady at Gold Passport put that in the notes. We got a card and a single rose which was nice but I have gotten much nicer amenities and upgrades over the years staying at Hyatt and this year I am Diamond so yes I did expect more. The people were nice but not as nice as other Hyatt that we have stayed at. The Regency Club was very good the wine selection was not as good as it had been the previous year..The Canvas wines are boring and lacking. The sparkling wines was good. The food selections were very good. The people at the club work hard but again not as friendly as others. The Hotel has a shuttle bus to and from Shinjuku station which is very convenient. The airport bus also drops off and picks up at the Hotel which is great. The room was clean. The last day the housekeeper made a little bird out of paper for us on our 2nd stay this month. I think that was the nicest touch of our stay. I think the convenience and the club make a definite to stay again; but the little extra touches Hyatt is known for need work.

Room Tip: IF you are club level ask to stay on the floor where the club is located as it is the only one with...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

Stayed here on business for 7 nights. I expected a Hyatt standard of service, and it was easily met. The hotel staff was great. I don't speak Japanese and every staff member I interacted with spoke English (varying levels of proficiency, but all good enough to communicate). In a nutshell, I would stay here again on my next business trip.

Rooms: I reserved a Deluxe King Room (with view). I was on the 22nd floor, with a nice view of the park below (btw, great area for jogging) and the city. The room was well appointed. One of the great details was that the bathroom was already stocked with a dental kit, sewing kit, shaving kit, etc. These items were re-stocked every day. I usually stay in 5-star hotels and I've found the this is rare (usually you have to call down and ask). Bottled water was also restocked free of charge every day.

The room itself was recently renovated, nice firm beds, generous seating area, great bathroom (minor complaint I think the bathroom could use better/brighter lighting), and separate water closet with a Toto toilet seat. Overall a great room. The housekeeping is stellar, the room was very well cleaned every day (nearly spotless). No on-demand movies and only a few English-language channels (no biggie in the age of iTunes).

As many commented, the wireless internet system is a bit weird. There is a hardline is an ethernet cable, but you need to call down to get a wi-fi router. Some other reviews mentioned a weak wifi signal, I had no such issues (I was using a Macbook Pro retina, iPhone 4S and iPad 3). Compared to other hotels, connectivity is cheap - NOT the usual $15-20USD I experience in other hotels. Note: they charge per device.

The room was quiet, and I slept well aside from from the usual jet lag.

Common areas: Common areas were not as updated as the room. While the huge lobby and building exterior look dated, they always well-kept. (I shudder to think how big of a renovation job it would be to take on the lobby)

Food/Room Service: Room service was on point. Breakfast typically arrived in less than 30 minutes (usually close to 15-20). Lunch was never more than 45 minutes. The food was pretty good. As a frequent traveler (business/pleasure) I tend to get a first impression of a hotel's food by ordering a club sandwich (a room service staple). The Hyatt Tokyo's is probably an 8/10.

I only ate at the Chinese restaurant on the lower floor and Caffe, the more "casual" restaurant. The Chinese restaurant was good, but nothing to write home about, and pretty expensive for what it is. Caffe was also good, but again, expensive for what it was in my opinion and not mind-blowing. It's a hotel, so you deal with it.

Overall service: Excellent. I had no issues, any requests I made were addressed in good time, and the staff is very friendly.

Other notes: The business center is not open 24 hours a day, so if you need something printed, plan for it. They can print something for you in a pinch if the center is closed, but it's a bit of a process.

A solid hotel, in a convenient area - though not the most exciting neighborhood. If you want a little bit more action but still within a stone's throw of the hotel, just walk the neighborhood surrounding Shinjuku station.

If it were possible to give the hotel a 4.5 rating, I would do that. Seeing as TripAdvisor only allows whole number ratings, I'll round up to 5 because the service was great.

Room Tip: Request a high floor room with view of the park
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank goodonpaper
Nuremberg, Bayern, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

Overall a very good Hotel. Decent price for Japan. It is a little bit outside, but this was ok for me, my customer was right around the corner and the next underground station is not far away.

- the rooms are quite small (at least mine was)
- breakfast is good, but i missed something
- as always: internet wlan not free, you have to pay for it (but the price is ok)
- breakfast to expensive if not booked with the room

+ underground station nearby
+ 7-11 and Family Mart in the building
+ a few restaurants in the lower grounds of the building, much cheaper than the hotel ones
+ location is not bad, even it's not really in the city. A lot of restaurants on the way to Shinjuku station
+ friendly staff, everything very clean
+ i had a room with a nice view on the park nearby
+ smoking rooms available
+ airport shuttle for a decent price

If you are good with the location, i can recommend it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shinjuku
Hilton Tokyo
Shinjuku Granbell Hotel
#11 of 81 in Shinjuku
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,132 reviews
Hotel Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku

Been to Hyatt Regency Tokyo? Share your experiences!