“Overall good, front desk so so”

Hyatt Regency Tokyo
Ranked #5 of 83 Hotels / Ryokan in Shinjuku
Reviewed January 11, 2012

To make the story short
-We took the Narita express to Shinjuku station. As some has mentioned before, the shuttle bus station is difficult to find...only when I called the hotel, and they mentioned BUS STOP 35.
-Check in staff is quite rude, they only do one thing at a time. So when they are making the keys, they don't answer other questions. One task at a time...maybe this is Japanese work style.
-Room clean and we ask for an extra rollaway bed, it was there, and cost extra of course. We left tips for the housekeeping staff, they did not take it...after 2 days we gave up :-D
-Shuttle is on the dot, every 20 minutes. Walking is a little tough especially during winter.
-While they said is JPY300 for 24 hours of internet, they did not charge me anything.
-As a Hyatt Gold member, we have pastry and coffee free of charge, consider the cost of breakfast in Tokyo, this is a good gesture. having said that, they might have terminated this service after 31/12/2011.
I would stay there again.

Reviewed January 3, 2012

Hotel is typical of international 5-star hotel. Booked into a Queen Room which is smallish but perfectly adequate and acceptable in a city like Tokyo. Fantastic service during breakfast. Only JPY300 for 24 hours' internet connection so I don't understand why they bother charging in the first place. Although the hotel is located about 10 to 15 minutes away from Shinjuku Station, there is a very efficient shuttle service from the hotel to the west entrance of Shinjuku Station that runs every 20 minutes.
The only minor grouse I have is that two persons manning the conceirge desk on two occasions have not heard of the Tokyo City Air Terminal.
Will stay again.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank feibeesi
Reviewed January 3, 2012

i stayed at hyatt regency tokyo with my family for 2011 New Year Celebration. I have stayed in this hotel six years ago when i first went to Tokyo and thinking the location and service was great so choose to stay at this place once more for our family trip. Boy was i wrong. The service is indeed go downhill since the last time i stayed here. The concierge and front lobby service is bad and rather rude. This is the first time i met such a grumpy and rude hotel staff by Hyatt standards and ever in my experienced stayed in dozen of Tokyo 4 and 5 star hotels. We booked two rooms one for me and my girlfriend ; and the other is for my parents. Therefore, we requested each room to have two keys in case we get separate so we could get back to hotel and rest. The hotel staff with a strict face at first ignore our request and insist to give each room one key, stating is for security reason. We reason with him that we have place down two person staying in each room so therefore it is okay to have two keys in each room, which is common practice in all hotels around the world. So, after almost 15 minutes reason with him he finally reluctantly gave us two keys for each room. After an unpleasant check in experienced we finally can get to our room and rest. I was told that we will get a new renovated room when i first make the booking, but what we actually get is a room exactly like the one i stayed six years ago. The decor and lighting is like in 80's movies is really unpleasant but thankfully is clean. After that bad check in experienced we are decide to complain to front desk again the next morning and get a good night sleep first.

The next day, i went to the front desk and this time i chose to spoke with the girl receptionist and hopefully it can erase the bad check in experienced we had on previously night. I explained our situation and she told us that we have made a wrong reservation and require some upgrade for new renovated room. After i request how much the upgrade was, she quote me the price. Since the price it seems quite reasonable we opt for the upgrade. She requested the upgrade should be pay prepaid , so i paid the upgrade by credit card and we left to shop around town. After we return back to our new room in the evening, i have received a message on our phone and asking to come to front desk due to some error. I went down and met the same girl i spoke in the morning, she said there is seems an misunderstanding on her part. The upgrade price she quote me is wrong and it supposed to be $100 more from what i have paid. Without being apologetic she forced me to pay for the the upgrade. At that point i want to cancel our stay at Hyatt regency and felt i have been ripped of, due to many the hotels are fully booked during New Year we have no choice to stay there. This is by far the worst experience i have stayed in a hotel by Hyatt standards and is really unprofessional.

The hotels location is 10 - 15 minutes by foot from shinjuku station.However the hotel provides a shuttle bus pickup from and to shinjuku station every 20 minutes. Shinjuku is a perfect place to shop, it has a decent price range for middle to high end goods and has a lot good restaurant.

2  Thank MBLogic
Reviewed December 31, 2011

They were great. Perfect service, great breakfast buffet, convenient shuttle, everything! The rooms are wired for internet so if you need to have wireless, you can request a wireless router for free. They brought it up to my room in about 4 minutes and then set it up in about 3.Price was right. I found a package that included breakfast and pool/fitness for a decent price on the hotel website.

Reviewed December 29, 2011

We stayed at the Hyatt for the first time at the end of November 2011. Previously we had tried out the Hilton and then the Imperial Palace but decided that Shinjuku is the best 'base' to explore Tokyo. The Hilton is a very good property but it was time to try something new. and we loved it.

The staff at the hotel were very personable. Our room on the Club level had a great view not only of Shinjuku Park but of Mt.Fuji and it was mesmerizing to watch the sunset each day as the golden clouds covered the iconic mountain.

The Hyatt is only a few minutes walk to the subway station, or, as we did most of the time, about a 20 minute walk to the main Shinjuku JR station and the shops in Shinjuku.

We had breakfast at the hotel each day and again, it was really good.

This is an excellent property. Being a hotel snob and therefore, quite picky about every aspect of a hotel, I really have nothing negative to say about the Hyatt Regency. Kudos to the staff and the management and I look forward to staying there on my next trip to Tokyo.

Room Tip: I always ask for the highest room possible. Views are good on the city side or the Mt. Fuji side bu...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank erewon
Reviewed December 25, 2011

The Hyatt Regency is a comfortable enough hotel, albeit in a strange location. The staff is generally nice and friendly, but not exactly attentive. I have encountered several instances during my 11-night stay where I did find service severely lacking in some areas.

My main gripe with this hotel was not it's room, but it's inattentive service. After arriving at the hotel, a bellhop took my luggage, and I thought that it would be taken care of. However, he had left it in the middle of the lobby unattended. I ended up finding two other female guests using my suitcase as a handbag stand when I went back to where he left it. The bellhop was also nowhere to be seen. What if someone had tempered with my suitcase?

The check-in staff had asked me whether I would need someone to show me to my room, an appalling question since that was something I would expect from a hotel of this class. I said yes, but after waiting for about five minutes and with no one approaching me, I decided to just go to my room myself. This was the worst check-in experience I had at all the dozen or so 4- and 5-star hotels I have ever stayed in Japan!

This hotel's bad service reared its ugly head in a couple of other instances after the bad first day. One evening, I approached the bell captain's desk for some information, a member of the staff there were busy and on the phone, and waved at me rather rudely, indicating that I should wait. No one attended to me for a whole ten minutes.

A similar situation happened on the afternoon that I was checking out. I was in a hurry to collect my luggage from the bell captain's counter as the airport limousine bus was coming. A male staff member had asked me to wait, then left the counter and never returned. Several other staff members at the counter also busied themselves with the computer, and avoided eye contact or ignored me. A female staff who was standing in front of me avoided acknowledging me for almost five minutes, even though I had tried to get her attention several times. It was only after a longer wait, that she finally asked me what I needed. By the time my issue was settled, the limousine bus was almost about to leave.

If you are arriving from the Narita Airport, take the limousine bus to the hotel. This hotel's location is rather far from the station, about ten to fifteen-minutes by foot. There is a shuttle bus to take you to the hotel from a bus stop outside the Odakyu shopping centre. However, Shinjuku is also the largest train station in Tokyo, serving several different train lines and has more than two dozen exits. It is very difficult to find the shuttle bus stop if you haven't been there before. Thus, choosing to go by train or subway can mean that you might end up get lost, luggage and all. Should you be coming by train, I would suggest taking a taxi from Shinjuku station, it costs less than ¥1000.

The standard twin room that I stayed had some nice, comfortable furnishings. The beds offered a good night's sleep always and housekeeping always kept the room very clean. However, I did find the Hyatt Regency's room small compared to other hotels of its class. Despite it being a twin room, the closet space was too small to store clothes for two people, especially if you need to store bulky winter coats. There was only one small luggage cabinet, so we had to put the other suitcase on the floor. This hotel is not very tall, so do not expect too great a view. My room was on the sixteenth floor, which offered a view of the nearby office buildings.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank josada
Reviewed December 21, 2011

Perfectly located on the quiet side of Shinjuku but at walking distance of the most interesting part of the Japanese capital, the Hyatt Regency is really a great adress, extremly affordable and offering a very high standard of service.

For sure, Japan has a dedcated sense of service and people who are working in this Hyatt property have completely understood what means "customer service"... All of them have the only objective to make the customers as comfortable as possible and nothing will be too demanding for them. They're always very courteous, discreet, smily and very efficient. I've stayed at The Peninsula Tokyo in the past which is one of the most renowned hotel in town but i have to say the team of Hyatt Regency is much more professionnal. Wherever you go, you'll always meet somebody to help you to make your stay memorable and fantastic and the last time, the best employee has been the waiter who delivered my late in room service. He was spontaneous and extremly smily... Very impressive standard of service.

But service is not the only very satisfacting thing at Hyatt Regency Tokyo. The size of the room is really good in comparaison with the normal standard of Tokyo and the thing i've really liked is the cleanliness usually not so perfect. Here, you don't worry about having a bath cause the housekeeping is really doing a great job. Moreover, everything was working so well and high speed internet is really high speed in this hotel. Japan is so good about it cause the defaults are always minor and it's really clear in this property where there is absolutely no default.

Food and beverage is also very nice and first of all with one of the best restaurant i've been lucky to experience: Cusines Michel Troisgros, a two stars Michelin which actually deserves three stars. All the dishes i've tried were simply prodigious and the service was again just perfect. Same happiness at the buffet breakfast or with the dinner i've ordered in my room. High quality and sense of detail.

About the design, if you can choose one of these newly refurnished deluxe rooms or for more indulgence, one of the Club rooms offering some great benefits. The other rooms have a classic decor but they're still good and really relaxing and some have a breathtaking view on the Fuji...

The only thing i'm waiting is a refurnishment of the lobby i don't really like. Too dark and where the atmosphere is not really actual. But i'm sure it will be a part of the upcoming changes at Hyatt Regency and all the other things are so good i really really recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: A club room or at least a newly refurnished room from View Deluxe room and above...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shinjuku
Hilton Tokyo
Shinjuku Granbell Hotel
Shinjuku Granbell Hotel
#12 of 83 in Shinjuku
Hotel Century Southern Tower

Been to Hyatt Regency Tokyo? Share your experiences!