“Japanese friendliness and Tokyo Hilton hotel is a unbeatable combination”
Review of Hilton Tokyo

Hilton Tokyo
Ranked #4 of 84 Hotels / Ryokan in Shinjuku
Reviewed May 16, 2007

Japanese friendliness with Hilton Tokyo hotel is a combination that is hard to beat! We were at the executive level and we were very impressed the genuine friendliness of the ALL hotel staff. They also have many people working at the executive lounge and we never had to wait for a minute.
The only very minor minus was that because we did not have our laptop with us we had to use the business center at the ground floor and we had to pay extra for the half hour connection. Actually the member of staff though too that it is free but after checking he was sorry that it was not the case.
But actually what does few euros mean if you can have as nice hotel experience as in Hilton Tokyo hotel.
I'm convinced that this hotel will be in top ten of Tokyo hotels in future. This really is the hotel to come back!

• Stayed: May 2007
1  Thank Connecting passengers
Write a ReviewReviews (4,592)

Reviewed May 3, 2007

Just got back from a 4 night stay here. Stayed in a remodeled executive king room. From the pictures I was expecting a fully remodeled room but actually only the desk, tv, bed/headboard, carpet, chair were new. Not the sliding window blinds, entrance/closet area, or bathroom. They were still the "old" Tokyo Hilton style. Everything was still in good shape and very clean so no major complaints, I just was surprised they seemed to stop 75% through the remodeling process. The room was of respectable size. The staff were quite friendly and helpful. Had a nice view of the park nearby. The location was good for my needs. The hotel is connected through an underground walk (about 5min.) to the Nishi-Shinjuku station on the Marunouchi subway line. If you need to stay in Shinjuku the Tokyo Hilton is a solid but certainly not spectacular choice.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled solo
4  Thank jamesjustin
Reviewed April 13, 2007

'Vacationed in Japan for 10 days with our base camp at the Tokyo Hilton and since this was our second trip in the last year so we pretty much knew what we were getting: Nice, clean business hotel conveniently located near the Shinjuku train station which serves as one of the larger metro/train hubs to the rest of Tokyo. The service (bell man, front desk, maid service) was on par with most 4 star international chains, meaning pleasent, friendly, but not over the top like a 5 star hotels. Our room was decent sized with a queen, desk, sitting chairs, LCD TV, small table and a single shower/tub combo. The rooms vary in size, depending on the price. In room internet is available, but at a charge. We didn't spend much time at the hotel or using it's ammenities as most of our day trips took us out of the area (via shinkansen/bullet train). One convenient perk is
the shuttle that runs to/from the Shinjuku station. This'll save you a 660 Yen cab fair, each way. There's also a metro stop underneath the hotel, but it's quite a walk within the tunnels before one reaches the action stop. The hotel shuttle was much more accessible.
The hotel is situated on the west side of the train station where most of the business hotels and government building are located. However, the east side of the station is an entirely different beast;
department stores, cafes, boutiques, electronic stores, little markets, 100 Yen stores, etc. DefinItely spend some time exploring the east side. With regards to another reviewer's comment on attitude
towards females: I really didn't notice any difference. However, I did notice that some of the staff was a bit friendly to the western guests (vs Asians). Another observation was that western guests tended to tip the bellman in spite of the non tipping practice in Asia. Ymmv.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank LiveItWhileYouCan
Reviewed April 4, 2007

The Hilton is comparable to most city hotels you find in large cities, like Tokyo, New York, London, etc. The more you pay the better amenities you are going to get. So in an expensive city like Tokyo if you don’t pay a lot of money you won’t get top notch luxury most times. I think that pretty clear.

There’s typically two ways to improve your chances of getting a better room in hotels, pay more or join loyalty programs. In my case my experience at the Hilton was pleasant. I stayed there for close to a month. I was fortunate because I could pay a reasonable price but since I am a Diamond member I was upgrades to a junior suite. So the lesson here is usually a hotel will treat you better if you are loyal otherwise pay a lot of money to gain access to the amenities. That’s just the fact of life in big cities across the world especially since now the hotel industry is booming again due to business travelers traveling more again. It’s just supply and demand, so prices are high.

The other nice things I liked about this hotel is it is centrally located and in walking distance of the Shinjuku Station. And for me this was important because that was my mode of transportation to get to work and it is the fastest way to get around because there’s a lot of traffic. There’s a good variety of restaurants to choose from but I always suggest to people to venture out into town. This is also a way to get better prices on food. The views of the city and Mt. Fuji is a plus if you are on a higher floor.

• Stayed: June 2003, traveled on business
1  Thank MyOneCruise_com
Reviewed March 26, 2007

I have to wonder at the previous poster's negative review. I just returned from 5 nights at the Tokyo Hilton. I'm a widowed mother traveling with my 2 teenaged sons, and felt no anti-feminine discrimination whatsoever. Yes, the beds were singles, but I knew this going in and that is what is offered to both male and female travelers on the website. Smaller rooms are common in Japan. I travel internationally multiple times a year, and found the Hilton to be a wonderful hotel. Yes, it's getting older, but it's been beautifully kept up. The single beds struck me as over-sized for singles, and I found the firm mattress and soft duvet to be delightfully comfortable. In any event, the beds were quite adequate for my 5'7" frame as well as my 6'+ son and his younger brother. The addition of a 3rd single, did take away some of the room space we would have had, but it was no problem. I loved that the windows are covered with shoji screens instead of curtains. It gave the room a lovely, Japanese feel. The bathroom is not overly large, but is well-appointed and quite adequate. (The high-tech toilet-bidet, so popular in Japan, adds an amusing bit of cultural diversity, too. :)) Toothbrushes and other amenities are replaced each day. Two types of green tea, instead of coffee, and a water boiler are provided in the room. Robes and slippers were provided as well. Our hotel room was almost eerily quiet. I almost wished the whisper-fan would make more white noise! We were in a regular, non-executive, room on the 12th floor. I did think the charge for pool and gym was ridiculously high, but room service, to my surprise, was cheaper than in most US hotels. A la carte muffins were under $5 for an assortment of 3; waffles, french toast or pancakes a la carte were under $7. All prices already included service and tax--unheard of in the US! There's no tipping in Japan, so the price quoted was the price paid at checkout. (The exchange rate was around 117 yen to the dollar when we were there, 3/18-24/2007.) Also, an in-room massage was available (to women only, if I understood the card correctly) for about $50; quite a deal. Service was speedy and friendly. A requested adapter and transformer showed up immediately. When we had trouble with our television, two persons arrived within minutes to set it right. The front desk offered quick translation and travel advice with a smile. The hotel is in an ideal location for travel with subway stops on two lines within a block, and an easy walk to huge Shinjuku station, if you want to skip the one-stop ride. There is a free hotel shuttle as well, but we used the subway as it was so easy and convenient. The lobby is elegantly beautiful and there's a shopping arcade downstairs with underground connection to the subway as well. When my younger son decided to help me out by charging my iPod on the floor behind his bed, then leaving it, housekeeping answered my call from the airport to assure me they'd found it. An email when I returned informed me the iPod and charger had been mailed and that there would be no charge, despite my offer to pay. All in all, I loved the Hilton and would happily stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family
5  Thank tcut
Reviewed March 13, 2007

I just want to comment on this hotel based on the other reviews. This is a nice hotel if you get a room on the Executive Floor. If you're not a Gold Member, and you're here for business longer than two nights, then you'll start to miss the typical business amenities.

I stayed here for a week, and had a single bed. I complained because quite frankly, I couldn't sleep in it without feeling like I was going to fall out of bed. I'd never been offered a single bed for business travel in my entire career, so I never expected to see one on my first trip to Tokyo.

I also think that in general, if you are female, and in my case, I am also Asian, I am occasionally subjected to second-class service. I think this is a common complaint by most female executive travelers. But that's a whole other traveling issue.

Long story short, I am spoiled by American hotels and big comfy beds. Since I travel mostly for work, the bed is the most important part of the room. I don't fault this hotel entirely, but the truth is, I was judged as someone who could tolerate inferior accommodations as compared to my six-foot non-Asian colleague who would have been given the double bed without hesitation.

If you don't fit my profile, you'll probably do fine at this hotel. If you are a Hilton Honors Gold member then you will score high with all the proper business amenities.

I am terribly disappointed because I have no safe in my room to lock up my electronic gadgets and computer when I'm out at customer meetings. I am disappointed about my bed of course.

I am disappointed that there is no complimentary coffee in the room (there is coffee you can buy through mini bar for about $6 US, my company doesn't reimburse mini-bar charges either.)

I am also disappointed that access to the gym will cost me $20 US dollars per use. My company doesn't reimburse for gym fees, so I'd have to shell out $140 of my own money (weeks stay) in order to keep myself in shape for these long haul flights into Asia.

The food is outrageously expensive. I couldn't get a bowl of fruit for less than $10 us dollars, and it was canned fruit!

There isn't anything to like about this hotel, and it rates very low compared to US Hilton Hotels for business travel. I have to give it a low score just so other business travelers will be cautious in case they can't get an upgrade to the Executive Floor. The non-Executive floors have very tiny bathrooms, meant for small-framed people.

Frankly, this hotel should just charge more money and give me what I need rather than nickeling and diming us to death.

What's good about the hotel?

The airport shuttle
It's clean
The service is decent
It's centrally located

Good luck!

Stayed: March 2007
6  Thank flannelpajamas
Reviewed March 7, 2007

First time in Tokyo. The Hilton Tokyo was an excellent place for our first stay in Japan. The staff was very service-oriented and polite. The restaurants are pricey as expected but the quality was top notch. Shinjuku may be a bit sterile but it isn't too far away from less stuffy sections a few blocks away. Views are quite impressive from upper floors. Convenient shuttle from train station.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank aug2386
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shinjuku
Keio Plaza Hotel Tokyo
#6 of 118 in Minato
Shinjuku Granbell Hotel
Shinjuku Granbell Hotel
#12 of 84 in Shinjuku

Been to Hilton Tokyo? Share your experiences!