“To Notch”

Ranked #4 of 82 Hotels / Ryokan in Shinjuku
Annapolis, Maryland
“To Notch”
Reviewed May 26, 2014

We recently had a quick trip to Tokyo and decided to use up some Hilton Honors points to pay for the rooms. My initial impression was dismal. It was 4:30 in the afternoon when we arrived but 3 of the 5 rooms we had reserved were not ready. After a long flight from the US all we wanted were hot showers.

The front desk asked us to head up to the 37th floor and wait in the Executive Lounge. WOW! What a lounge. Amazing views of Shinjuku and really well stocked with good food and drinks. In just a short while our rooms were available and we finally got to relax. The rooms were beautifully appointed, spacious and very comfortable. Showers were huge and plenty of water pressure.

Everyone we encountered from the staff including the concierge who took care of our dinner reservations was charming and helpful. The breakfast in the lounge the next morning was plentiful and delicious.

This hotel is conveniently located on a subway line and just a 10 minute walk or shuttle ride from Shinjuku Station for Rail service including the Narita Express. There is plenty to do right in Shinuku though.

This is easily one of the nicest Hilton's I have ever stayed in and on-par with a Conrad or Ritz.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank askulk
HJacobe, Director of Operations at Hilton Tokyo, responded to this review, June 1, 2014
Dear Guest
thankyou for your 5/5 review and as a valuable HH member it was a great pleasure to host your party at our hotel. Thankyou for your kind understanding regarding the initial arrival and allowing us to recover ourselves. We are so glad to read you enjoyed your time with us and hope to welcome you back again soon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (588)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 25, 2014

Booked two Executive Club rooms and arranged an upgrade to Junior Suites as part of the Hilton Honors e-upgrade system. It was my daughters birthday and they very kindly put a box of exquisite chocolates in her room.
We found the location to be excellent, just 10-15 mins walk to Shinjuku station and the surrounding amazing nightlife. Breakfast was excellent as was the executive lounge. This is very much a 5* hotel in an area with some outstanding modern architecture. It really is worth booking an executive club room to enjoy the superb club lounge facilites. We really enjoyed our stay and really didn’t want to leave.

Room Tip: Book an executive club room if you can.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NewOldGit
HJacobe, Director of Operations at Hilton Tokyo, responded to this review, May 31, 2014
Dear Guest
thankyou for your 5/5 review and we are so glad to read how much you enjoyed the Executive Lounge and exploring the wonderful sights of the surrounding area. We hope to be able to welcome you and the family back again soon
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed May 24, 2014

It's a nice hotel but a bit far from the station. Shuttle bus to/from station only operates 8 am through 9:30p'ish, so you'd have to either walk for 10+ mins or take a cab ($7-$8). Room is large for a Japanese standard.

It's located in Shinjyuku area, a super busy metro/train station. If you've been to Tokyo before, you know how busy Shinjyuku station is... You get lost easily even you speak/read Japanese. Otherwise you may want to stay in a bit less crazy area.

The fitness center (free for guest) is a bit small for a size of the hotel. Not many options for the equipment, 5 or 6 treadmills. Shower/bathroom and sauna area is also tiny. At least it:s open 24 hrs, so it's a plus. I stay here b-caz of my HH membership.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Yo K
Dear Guest
thankyou for your overall positive review of our busy hotel in this great metropolis. It is always a pleasure to welcome our HH guests and we appreciate your loyalty. We are glad to read that our team members were helpful and we hope to be able to welcome you back again soon
Rugby
Reviewed May 23, 2014 via mobile

The Hilton Shinjuku is superb, the location is just perfect. Close enough to the action but just far enough away to escape.
The lobby is lively and welcoming, staff were attentive and all spoke excellent English.
Breakfast is superb and has plenty of choice.
There is a shuttle bus which whisks you off to the train station / Shinjuku centre which runs frequently. If you're arriving for the first time though, you might find it tricky to find the bus stop. We chose to jump in a Taxi which cost about £5 only. Shinjuku station is enormous and if you've got luggage.......
The only minor point was that wifi was free only in the lobby, but other than that I'd happily go back.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RugbyBobby123
Dear Guest
thankyou for your 5/5 rating and positive review especially about our team members. We note that you would like to return and we all look forward to welcoming you back
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 23, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 6 nights and really enjoyed it as our Tokyo base. The hotel is comfortable, clean and spacious. We enjoyed the breakfast every morning - good selection and a good start to the day.
The room was large and always clean and tidy when we came back at the end of another day in Tokyo. And the view out across Shinjuku was pretty spectacular.
The location isn't particularly exciting. It's not far to Shinjuku which is very lively but there is a metro stop less than 5 minutes away and it was easy to get around.
I didn't take advantage of the pool or gym but my husband did and said they were very good and from our window we could see people playing tennis on the rooftop court.
The staff were consistently friendly and pleasant.
I would recommend this for a stay in Tokyo, it's pleasant, clean, comfortable and spacious but don't expect anything original or out of the ordinary.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank taylor1982
Dear Guest
thankyou for your overall positive review of our hotel especially about our famous breakfast buffet and your interactions with our team members. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Singapore
Reviewed May 23, 2014 via mobile

The Hilton Tokyo is conveniently located in Shinjuku. I have stayed there on numerous occasions previously, but this stay was less than satisfactory.

My reservation was made by American Express for a Junior Suite. I checked in in the Executive Club. As a Hilton Honors Diamond Member the reservation is usually upgraded at checkin (as per Hilton policy). There was no upgrade on this occasion and no apology that one was not available. No idea why - perhaps Hilton Tokyo doesn't like corporate policy!! Still my junior suite was both spacious and comfortable.

I used the Executive Lounge at the hotel and ordered a mojito - it arrived and was pleasant with chunks of apple in it - it certainly wasn't a mojito though. Food on offer was average. Lounge was overcrowded and those arriving later during happy hour had to wait some time for others to leave so a table could be found. Be sure to arrive at 6pm when happy hour starts to get a table / seat. Staff are helpful in the Lounge.

Following 'happy hour' I visited St George's Bar on the lobby level with my iPad to check my emails for the day. Think again - no wifi service in the bar. The beer was good and on my second evening I ordered a mushroom risotto in the bar which was very nice. Staff are helpful.

Wifi elsewhere in the hotel and in the room works very well however.

On my final evening I sent my shoes for shoe shine at about 10pm requesting they be delivered at 6.30am the following morning as I was booked on the 7.10am shuttle bus to the airport. At 6.20am I attempted to call to have my shoes delivered early as I was ready to go to breakfast - the operator was not answering the phone, neither was housekeeping. 6.30am came and went and still no shoes and no answer from the hotel operator, housekeeping or the help line. At 6.45am I gave up and went barefooted to the Executive Club to check out and have them locate my shoes and have my bags collected from my room. Returning to my room I waited until 7am and niether my shoes had been delivered or my luggage collected. Given the diabolical mess I took my own bags to the lobby - still without shoes and asked for the duty manager. He eventually tracked down my shoes and I got on the shuttle bus with minutes to spare. What an absolute mess and no breakfast either as I had to run around instead of enjoying breakfast before I left the hotel, despite being ready to go to breakfast at 6.20am. The Night Manager brought a coffee for me to the bus and apologized. I have also received an email of apology from housekeeping subsequently.

Japanese efficiency has clearly left this hotel. Maybe be better to look at the Hyatt Regency if one is looking for a hotel in Shinjuku.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
6 Thank Nigel G
Dear Guest
thankyou for taking the time to outline your experiences at our hotel last week. As a HH Diamond member you are one of our most valued guests. Whilst you have been complimentary about some aspects of your stay we sincerely regret the disatisfaction caused by the delayed delivery of your shoes and can understand how distressing this must have been at the time. We apologise again for the inconvenience caused and hope that your previous visits to our hotel will attest that this is by no means our usual standard of operations and we hope you might allow us another opportunity to recover your confidence in us and showcase the hospitality that Hilton is famous for. I am writing to you privately and hope you will not hesitate to contact me directly when you are ready to make your next reservation. With regards
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed May 22, 2014

Hotel rooms really good. good facilities, gym etc. Close to main train station with plenty of food places close by. 3 minutes walk to the shopping in Shinjuku. Close to the fish market, great place to visit and have breakfeast

Good view if facing harbour, otherwise just a city view.

Good breakfeast in hotel, really comprehensive with good service

Room Tip: Ask for view over harbour
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear Guest
thankyou for your 5/5 score and favourable comments about our location and facilities and our famous buffet. We hope to welcome you back again soon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shinjuku
Keio Plaza Hotel Tokyo
Odaiba / Shiodome / Shinbashi
Park Hotel Tokyo
Park Hotel Tokyo
#6 of 109 in Minato

Been to Hilton Tokyo? Share your experiences!