“If there was ever a Hilton that stood above the rest...This is it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hilton Tokyo

Hilton Tokyo
Ranked #4 of 81 Hotels / Ryokan in Shinjuku
“If there was ever a Hilton that stood above the rest...This is it!”
Reviewed February 24, 2014

I love just about everything about this hotel. The ambiance, the service, the modern architecture and decor, and the food. This hotel literally screams high quality experience.

From the time you pull up to the entrance of the hotel, you are cordially greeted by doorman(women) who welcome you to the hotel with a sense of class and sophistication missing from Hilton hotels in the United States. Walking through the entrance of into the lobby provides a similar experience as the color scheme and architecture give the space a very modern feel. With their straight lines, bronze color, and hints of glass and tile, you immediately feel like you are in the lap of luxury.

Heading to the front desk is an incredibly warming experience as the front desk personnel seem eager to help you. There's nothing better than being greeted by a warm smile and sense of professionalism after a long day worth of travel or business. The people who work the front desk at the Tokyo Hilton have obviously mastered the art of customer service. And no worries about the language barrier here. Every one of the agents at the front desk and the concierge speak perfect English.

This may be a good time to mention why I said "I love just about everything" in my opening statement. It's the fact that everyone speaks perfect English. It might sound silly, but when I travel abroad, I like to feel that I've immersed myself in a different culture. I love the adventure of trying to understand local colloquialisms and even the nuances of the language. While at the Tokyo Hilton, you feel like you're at any luxury hotel in a major metropolitan city (like NYC). The only real difference is that a majority of the people are Japanese.

I can see that Hilton took great pains in creating an atmosphere of luxury and grandeur here, but I wish they had also added some tasteful touches from the local Japanese culture. Something to leave visitors with a feeling that they'd escaped their normal world and had entered a new, mysterious place where comfort, extravagance, and experience await. That's all.

I've stayed here twice. Once in a Junior Suite and the other in a King Executive suite. You will have NO issues with any of those room selections. Both are duly appointed with flat-screen television, incredible vistas of downtown Tokyo, and a bed that provides comfort like no other. I know that the comfort of a bed is subjective, but Hilton got it just right for me. Once I laid down, I was out.

I'm also a Gold member with HHonors, so I have access to the Executive Lounge. This is a great to grab a drink with co-workers, discuss business details with clients, and enjoy some very delectable treats from both Japanese and western cultures. Definitely worth a try if you have access. The breakfast buffet is incredible and offers a wide variety of food from both Japanese and western cultures. Be careful though...it's a bit on a pricey side.

The restaurants in the Shinjuku Hilton are also incredible. My favorite is the BRASSERIE CHECKERS which offers a buffet option of food from all over the world. If you're there when they're serving the stuffed squid or the Lobster Tails, you HAVE to try them. They're absolutely delicious.

The hotel is also conveniently located 10 minutes from the Shinjuku train station and also provides a limousine bus service to Narita airport.

All in all, I love this hotel. I try to stay here when I can while in Tokyo for business. I would strongly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the area.

Room Tip: You can't go wrong with the King Executive suite or the Junior Suite.
2 Thank Deon L
HJacobe, Director of Operations at Hilton Tokyo, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Dear Guest
thankyou for your detailed and great 5/5 review of our hotel and also the insider tips for other readers. It is really encouraging to know that you are able to relax and feel comfortable despite being so far away from your home. We are looking forward to welcoming you again on your next business trip.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (562)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Provo, United States
Reviewed February 24, 2014

I am an experienced business traveler and consider the Tokyo Hilton my home away from home. The exec lounge staff is always very friendly and courteous and often even remembers my name. I highly recommend this hotel and look forward to staying there again as well.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Guest
thankyou for your 5/5 review and we were delighted to read that you consider our hotel your home away from home! We all look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip especially the team in the Executive Lounge.
Atlanta, United States
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Great trip, met or exceeded all expectation EXCEPT in-room internet. Its supposed to support up to 3 devices, never could get it to support more than one - others in hotel had same issue. Hotel was unable to fix, referred us to their internet vendor - which was ridiculous, otherwise all good.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Brian M
HJacobe, Director of Operations at Hilton Tokyo, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Dear Guest
thankyou for your overall favourable review and our apologies that you experienced some difficulties using multiple devices and the availability of assistance was perhaps not explained adequately by our team members. By way of explanation it is the protocol to refer these issues to the 24/7 hotline of the service provider that controls the system and they are normally able to advise and rectify immediately. We appreciate that you have given us this feedback and we will utilise it for our improvement in guest communications. Thankyou again and we hope to welcome you back soon
Reviewed February 23, 2014

I visit Tokyo a lot and make a point of using internet discount hotel services (you know the ones) to find 4 or 5 star hotels at bargain prices. This approach works well if one is staying put in Tokyo and does not need access to train service (if you will be using trains a lot it is better to find a hotel next to the main Tokyo train terminal).

The Hilton Tokyo is located in the hotel district part of Shinjuku, one of Tokyo's major and certainly liveliest shopping districts. The hotel is about a 10 minute walk from the train station or one can take the hotel's shuttle bus which runs three times per hour for most of the day. There are also a couple of subway stations within 5 minutes walk. The west side of Shinjuku is spic and span and dominated by skyscrapers (but no restaurants, etc, close by).

I booked a standard room as offered by the ___wire special unnamed deal for a 4.5 star hotel. Cheap by New York or DC standards but on the high side for Tokyo.

When I arrived I found out that this price did not include breakfast which would be an additional $27 or so and not free wireless in the room. Also, standard rooms are not available for smokers if this is a priority. I was told I could access the "executive" rooms by paying a surcharge of about $80/night which would provide a room on a higher floor (and a better view), and access to the executive lounge on the 37th floor, where a breakfast buffet could be had, as well as unlimited snacks, coffee, and other drinks throughout the entire day, as well as free internet.

Since I knew I would be spending a lot of time at the hotel, I took this offer.

The room was on the 34th floor and did have a very nice view. The room wasn't spacious nor was it cramped; just enough space to walk by the bed, with a decent glass top desk that could be located in front of the window if one likes to work facing the view. The wireless internet was very fast and there was no problem using my computer, ipad and iphone simultaneously. The bathroom was adequate for a business room but cramped for a couple on a romantic outing. There was a large flatscreen with CNN, BBC and a couple FOX entertainment stations in English.

The breakfast bar in the executive lounge was adequate, although minimalist by 4-5 star hotel standards. The bacon was razor thin and the scrambled eggs were runny but the automatic coffee machines were great.

The executive lounge was open from 6:30AM to 10PM and one could get coffee, drinks, and snacks ad libitum as part of the executive lounge package. Given the location of the hotel away from the main commercial area, this lounge area is very useful.

The service was excellent and the staff were universally competent and very helpful.

Bottom line: The total price came to about $300+ per night for a decent but not special room with breakfast and internet included. This is OK but not a bargain given the range of alternatives in Tokyo.

1 Thank Tim M
Dear Guest
thankyou for your 5/5 review and valuable assessment of our facilities and our team members. May we suggest for your next visit you utilise any Hilton Worldwide website, reservation center or hotel directly as our Best Rates Guarantee assures you always receive the best rates when you book directly with us. We hope to welcome you again soon
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 23, 2014

We stayed here tomorrow for one night during the marathon , and from the moment we checked in the service was amazing and detail, down to the smallest items.

We are Gold passport members and they couldn't upgrade us as we were on the executive floor,36 out of 38 floor!

They offer us chocolate or wine complimentary!

this is what separate this hotel from the other large chains in Tokyo that we have stay at.

keep up the good work and join the rewards program.

Room Tip: ask for a high floor away from the elevators!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
HJacobe, Director of Operations at Hilton Tokyo, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Dear Guest
thank you for your 5/5 review and hope you were able to catch the start of the Marathon in front of the hotel. We look forward to having you return soon.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed February 22, 2014

We were so taken care of at every single point of our stay here. Remarkable!

When we checked in, I asked for a room on a higher floor and the staff member (I don't remember his name sorry) let me know that we've actually been upgraded from a standard room to a junior suite for FREE! We also had a late flight the next day and he also extended our check out til 2pm the next day - that is unheard of! And we didn't even asked. He used his common sense and organised it all for us. Absolutely brilliant!

The suite was amazing - I can't say enough to do it justice. I will be using the bathroom and bedroom as inspiration when we build our house, thats for sure.

I will definitely be returning. Thank you for an amazing stay!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dkvallis
Dear Guest
thankyou for choosing our Hotel to complete your holiday and for your great feedback about our front desk staff and we will certainly share your comments with all the team members. There is so much to see and do in Tokyo - we hope to welcome you back here again for your next holiday.
Toronto
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Reasonably sized rooms. Location is ok, but a bit of a walk to the subway. For Tokyo, good pool and gym. The breakfast is not bad, there were lineups when we were there, but it was the holiday season. The staff were quite helpful and always respectful/service oriented. Make sure to book ahead for the airport shuttle as it can fill up quickly. Free wifi in the room would be nice.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
HJacobe, Director of Operations at Hilton Tokyo, responded to this review, February 22, 2014
Dear Guest
we are glad that you and family enjoyed your stay overall during a very busy holiday season and thankyou for your kind words for our staff that is much appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shinjuku
Keio Plaza Hotel Tokyo
Shinjuku Granbell Hotel
Shinjuku Granbell Hotel
#12 of 81 in Shinjuku
Hotel Century Southern Tower

Been to Hilton Tokyo? Share your experiences!