“Good choice in central Tokyo”
Review of Hilton Tokyo

Hilton Tokyo
Ranked #3 of 87 Hotels / Ryokan in Shinjuku
Reviewed August 20, 2008

We stayed just one night at the Hilton Shinjuku on our way to Micronesia.
The hotel has a great location - just 5 min walk from Shinjuku main streets with shops and restaurants - and is very easy to reach it from Narita with the Limousine Bus Service which stops right at the hotel front door.

Our twin room was spacious, quite, clean and comfortable. Bathroom was a little bit small but above Japanese standards and furnished with everything you may need.
Beds were large and comfortable.

Service is very efficient: our luggage got lost and the front desk managed the communications with the airport efficiently and they recorded messages for us while we were out for dinner.

I would certainly reccomend this hotel!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (4,703)

Reviewed July 29, 2008

I stayed for a business trip in Tokyo at the Hilton from 6 - 25 July. Booked an Executive Deluxe Room.

Arrived early in the morning, after an overnight flight, at around 10h30, check in the Executive Lounge, offered immediately early check-in, just had to wait for about 30 minutes for my room since it still had to be cleaned, but was at 11ham in my room. Very good to start, since I am HHonors Gold member they offered me additional amenities. So far so good.

The rooms are on the smallish side since the hotel has been build in the eighties and at that time rooms were rather build on the small side. In particular the closet space is limited, in particular if you are there for a longer stay. Combine this that my wife joined me for about a week, our closet space then was really limited. Bathroom is also very small, but adequate with a shower which had a very good pressure. Oh if you member of HHonors and if you book a single room, they let a second person stay for free in your room.

Housekeeping service always was prompt and good.

The Executive Lounge is ok, the food offering was adequate and the drinks during the cocktail hours plenty, but they offer the whole day free soft drinks, coffee etc. One of the big pluses of the Executive room is that they also offer free wireless internet in your room and not only the executive lounge - extremely convenient.

Nevertheless one negative of the lounge is, that since the Hilton has 6 Executive Floors, the lounge in particular for the cocktail hour is not only too full, but plainly overcrowded sometimes.

Restaurants at the hotel are of good quality, but pricey. Their teppanayaki restaurant (Teppan Grill) is highly recommended, the food and service is wonderful - but you will pay a lot. Lets say a good dinner (teppanayki menu + wine) will run 500 USD for two persons.

The hotel also offers a free shuttle to Shinjuku Station every 20 minutes from 7am - 10 PM, which is extremely convenient.

Overall a very good business hotel with some minor weaknesses, would not hesitate to stay again there.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank ThWilmesi
Reviewed July 23, 2008

I highly recommend the Hilton Tokyo. I stayed there about 2 weeks ago and I can't say enough about it.
The staff is helpful, friendly and courteous.
The rooms are beautifully appointed with amazing views.
The location is terrific - near 2 different metro stops - Tochomae and Shinjuku, with a free shuttle to the Shinjuku station. Also, Shinjuku is such a fantastic night spot, that it's great that the hotel is within walking distance.
We had breakfast included with our room (Hilton Honors program) and the food is wonderful. Huge buffet with tons of Japanese and Western choices. About 8 different types of juice alone!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank redgiraffehead
Reviewed July 16, 2008

An excellent hotel. The staff is very helpful. Upon check-in with our little todler boy, we were proposed a very nice upgrade for a small additional fee : oh boy, a suite on the executive floor. I am used to 5 star hotels all over the world, and this one makes the top of my lists. nice service all day long, attentive staff, clean room. it is around 5-10 minutes walk to the train station. we will definitely go back.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank stef-paris-shanghai
Reviewed July 12, 2008

Impeccable and courteous staff who goes to great lengths to assist you in obtaining any travel information required. I was checking the weather on an impending Mt Fuji trip and the staff was very patient and the weather forecast given was very accurate.

Ideally located in the heart of Tokyo with a nice view of the city. We were staying on the executive floor (32nd) and the night view was amazing. Was also pampered with the cocktails / drinks available on the executive lounge.

Will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2008
Reviewed July 6, 2008

I switched to stay at the Hilton in Tokyo due to I stay more in Hilton family more in the U.S. Given most of the rooms in Tokyo Hilton are renovated (except rooms on the standard Hilton Floor) so I decided to give it a try.

Some earlier reviews are correct, the elevators are still v. dated. I didn't remember how the old lobby floor look, even now, it doesn't look glamourous and great. . The lift foyer and the corridor of my floor smell like a farm, i reported the next day, but the ordor was still there until I checked out. However, the ordor didn't seep into the room.
Location ~ The hotel is in the heart of office buidings, there is a free hotel shuttle running every 20mins to the Shinjuku station right in front of Keio Dept store Bus stop no. 21where the shoppings and restaurants are.

The Room - The simplistic reburbishment made the rooms brighter and a modern look. But definitely not luxurious. The bathroom is v. simple, only the wall around the tub replaced by some plastic wall, no tiles. There was no bathrobe in the room, you have to ask for it. I was also told they actually only offer in suites ~~ the bathrobe in fact are not quality at all, they are rough after years of combating with the washing machine.

The arrival ~ bell staff was short. The bell staff dropped my bags in the check in area unattended then left. The reception check in staff was cold though polite. I asked if there s a possiblity of an upgrade for HiltonHonor VIP. I was told they only upgrade regular customers ~~ my understanding was regulars apply only to Tokyo Hilton, Hilton Honor members are not regular )

Restaurant ~ I visted their 2star Michelin French restaurant ~Twenty One. It was rather disappointed. The service definitely is under par comparing to other one-star Michelin. Many non-Michelin restaurants can produce same quality of dishes.

I was rather disapointed on my first return to the Hilton after a 8-year lapse. A concierge staff changed my impression. I realized i was over-charged by a restaurant in Shinjuku on my last night. Hilton helped me to reserve the table. I didnt' realize it until the next day wondering why the dinner bill was so pricey. I asked for translation of the bill, Ms. Morita, a polite concierge staff speaks perfect English, explained to me the bill was for a table of 9 guests, while she knew I only booked a table for 4. She took down all the dishes I had order. After my meeting, she sorted everything out for me, the restaurant even sent back the new receipt and the over-charged amount. It's Ms. Morita went that extra mile for the houseguests that win my heart again.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
5  Thank yrtx4e
Reviewed July 3, 2008

This was my 4th stay at the Hilton Shinjuku. The rooms are very clean and well furnished. The staff is excellent. The location is close to Shinjuku train station. The only complaint would be the high prices at the in hotel restaurants. I would stay again.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business