“Great Shinjuku Hotel”

Ranked #4 of 81 Hotels / Ryokan in Shinjuku
Australia
“Great Shinjuku Hotel”
Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

We loved this hotel. As a family of four with two young boys, we booked a suite to accommodate two extra roller-a-way beds. This was cheaper than booking two rooms, which we had to do at most other Japanese hotels and a great option to really spread out and feel relaxed. The suite was very large, with a great view over Shinjuku office buildings. Our king size bed was so comfortable, it was just so good, I keep wanting to be back in it! The large room with great beds was a wonderful way to rest after all our shopping. The breakfast was fantastic with Western and Japanese options. The kids loved the pancakes & donuts and my husband loved the omelette station. Breakfast was included in the advance payment web option, so great value. The bathroom could have been a little more modern, but we were happy with it. The free shuttle bus to & from the train station was great for getting to the shopping district. We loved this hotel & would stay again.

Stayed January 2014
1 Thank ColeFamilyAustralia
GeneralManagerTokyo, General Manager at Hilton Tokyo, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great review and we appreciate the time taken to share your experiences.

We truly appreciate that you recommend Hilton Tokyo to other travelers.

General manager
'\Hilton Tokyo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (582)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Our stay in this hotel was nothing short of fantastic. The hotel is very clean, the beds are comfortable, and the room we stayed in had an updated bathroom.The hotel is also situated in a very convenient area. It is close to a number of eating places and within walking distance to Family Mart and Starbucks. Transportation is not a problem as well since the hotel has a link underground to the Marunouchi Line. The complimentary shuttle service to Shinjuku Station was also frequent and convenient during our stay.

Our experience with Hilton Tokyo was almost perfect in every way except that, when we checked in, it took a while before we were able to get a room. This was, however, not so much of an issue as we stayed in the lobby while waiting, and the entire place smelled terrific (some sort of green tea fragrance). Their staff was also very helpful. My brother bought plenty of stuff from Amazon, and we were always notified by phone to pick them up just when we get back to our room.

We stayed in the upper floors and the city view outside was also nice. I would recommend this hotel to anyone though their rates may be a bit steep for budget travelers.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
GeneralManagerTokyo, General Manager at Hilton Tokyo, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your 5/5 review and we sincerely appreciate the time taken to share your experience.

We are committed to providing the finest levels of hospitality and it is great that we were able to create a wonderful stay for you.

Wishing you a wonderful 2014.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Let's begin by saying we have very high expectation of hotels and have stayed in many across the Hilton Group of hotels, unfortunately our experience at the Hilton Tokyo was not one that we enjoyed.

Yes staff were courteous and helpful but that's the minimum requirement for a 4-5 star hotel. The room we stayed in has obviously not been renovated. The wall paper on the ceiling was peeling left right and centre and the bathroom clearly demonstrated it was desperately in need for a massive update (I assume this is happening already as mentioned in other reviews but unfortunately we got stuck with an old one).

The room was extremely underwhelming and we were glad we only stayed for two nights. Apart from the lobby, I'm not sure if anything else has been renovated recently, the sauna/spa area was basic and the executive lounge tired. The offering at the lounge was also far inferior to other Hilton properties.

Breakfast was crowded but at least the variety was decent. In terms of location, it's not inconvenient but certainly not very convenient either. The hotel is connected by underground walkways to Nishi-Shinjuku station, approx. 5 mins walk or there's a free hotel shuttle that takes you to Shinjuku Station, outside Odakyu Department store.

Overall, the service (software) is 5 star quality but the dated hardware (room/facilities) made it really difficult to enjoy. For the price it charges, there are more modern alternatives and for us personally, the chances of returning is slim and recommendation to friends/family is unlikely.

Room Tip: If there are rooms with renovated bathrooms, make sure you ask for it
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank contactim
Dear Guest,

My team and I are very disappointed to know that you did not enjoy your stay with us and we would appreciate if you contact us to provide further information.

I would however like to confirm for all guests that the Hilton Tokyo is maintained to a very high standard and we do not have rooms as described in this review. This is also supported by the consistently good reviews we receive on this forum. Our Executive Lounge is also fully renovated and is regularly recognized as one of the premier lounges in Tokyo with a very extensive range of food and beverage and a high level of service.

As mentioned previously all guestrooms at Hilton Tokyo will be renovated by the end of Q1 2014 including bathrooms. Currently all Deluxe and Executive guestrooms are renovated. This is the final stage of our three year renewal and Hilton Tokyo will have one of the finest room products in Tokyo on completion. In Q3 of 2014 we will also launch all new Restaurants and Bars on level two of the hotel.

It is most unfortunate that you did not contact us whilst our guest as my team would have made every effort to ensure your satisfaction.

We wish you safe travels and thank you for your comments.

Katy, Texas
Reviewed January 9, 2014

The location is great in the center of the city next to a train station, and believe me I used taxis in tokyo as they are more confit able than a public train but the traffic is horrible so location is quite important

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great review and thank you for choosing to stay with us.

My team and I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Juneau, Alaska
Reviewed January 9, 2014

My travel agent recommended this hotel and it was a good stay. However, my expectations were different - being a frequent international American traveler - and this was my first overnight trip to Asia.

I got to the hotel fairly late -past midnight as my flight landed late and had to fork out $120USD for a cab (no trains running that late). When I checked in, I was a bit disappointed to find out I'd be in a room with 2 twin beds - they didn't have anything else. This kinda blew my tone for the rest of the trip as I have never stayed in a hotel room with a double bed or smaller. Call me spoiled. And the fact we were spending over $350 USD a night I was just expecting a bigger bed.

The lobby area was nicely decorated and surprisingly busy for being 1 am. A quick elevator ride and short walk to my room made me realize I'm in a cruise-ship style room. It was definitely smaller than I'm used to at Hilton properties. Then again, this IS Japan. It was nicely decorated and the sliders blocking the windows/light did their job quite well. Fortunately the hotel had a few US channels and some with english subtitles. I had to spend a few bucks to login to the internet as the city-wide WIFI through the cell providers have instructions ONLY in Japanese & Google was not translating it very well :)

The bathroom was alright, but the toilet controls were definitely neat. I've never sat on a toilet seat that can play music, warm itself up, and also spray your butt. I've always had a separate bidet, so kudos to the Japanese for making it all one toilet.

Shower took a bit to get warm, but it was sufficient and nice.

The twin bed though bugged me. I was hoping the rooms were like cruise-ship rooms where you could push the beds together -- but no go. I ended up using all the pillows in the room and at least got a decent sleep in... just missed being able to sprawl out on a queen/king bed.

Hotel staff during my stay were good. I was happy that the concierge desk sells the visitors pass for the train - $5 USD/day and the stations are very close to the hotel. The Denny's nearby is NOT your traditional Denny's -- there is a McDonalds around the corner of the hotel that has a fairly "Americanized" menu, and I believe a 7-11'esque type store also sold comfort foods to satisfy any culture.

The hotel is in the Shinjuku area of Tokyo - which is great if you are doing business here as this is where most companies have offices, but if you are playing a tourist like me, its WWWAAAYYY out of the way. I had to take a 20 minute subway ride to Tokyo Station just to get anywhere. I also took a tour from HATO Tours and they did a great job with their American speaker. These tours typically will leave Tokyo Station and I'd recommend the Tokyo Skytree & Asukusa Tour (about $65 USD) and also make it to the Ueno Park Zoo. I also found the city to be VERY tourist friendly - maps everywhere, and also in English. And if you don't know the language -- most restaurants have picture guides of their menus.

Now, I may backtrack a bit - if you are flying in and out of Narita, the NEX departs from just a few blocks away... so its not totally out of the way.

Stay was overall pleasant. I was just expecting something different because of the high price paid for the room. I also appreciate being able to use the health club well after checkout to shower and rest up before my 930PM flight out (although i have NEVER showered sitting down... it was an experience!). Everyone was very accommodating and their english was very good.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank DiverDown79
GeneralManagerTokyo, General Manager at Hilton Tokyo, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Dear Guest,

Travel is a great experience and we understand that it can be challenging especially given this was your first visit to Asia.

Japan is a beautiful country with a strong culture and my team makes every effort to assist guests to have a pleasant and productive stay. As you mentioned all information in the hotel is available in English however local services such as4G/3G internet and restaurants is designed for the local market and operate only in Japanese or have been localized for domestic consumers i.e. Denny's, McDonald's.

I am however surprised by your comment concerning Shinjuku. Tokyo is one of the worlds largest cities and transit time is required to get to any particular point. Shinjuku is a key transportation, business and tourist center due to the large number of attractions and the ease of accessibility to all areas of the city (an Japan) using the rail, subway and bus system.

When you next return to Tokyo please avail yourself of our concierge and the assistance point at the airport and they can help you arrange transport to/from the hotel from Y3000 USD$30 plus provide a lot of information in English to assist you.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 5, 2014

I stayed at the Hilton Shinjuku while on a business trip and have to say I was very happy with the over all experience.
The location is great but even better is that the hotel run a complimentary shuttle bus service to the main Shinjuku underground station which gives to great access to the rest of Tokyo. Access to this hotel from the airport is also extremely easy with a reasonably priced shuttle bus service running regularly.
The hotel its self was great and the room very lovely with everything you would expect from a Hilton hotel. I had a great view of the Shinjuku sky line from my room which had a huge windows, the room also had a great TV and Dvd player. Personally I loved the little touch of a complimentary QG and Vogue magazine in the desk of the room.

When visiting Tokyo again I would definitely stay at this Hotel mainly for the great location and also the access it gave to the transport network.

Room Tip: Breakfast is lovely but gets very business, I would say get there early.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
GeneralManagerTokyo, General Manager at Hilton Tokyo, responded to this review, January 5, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your detailed review and I am very pleased you had a wonderful stay.

It is also nice to know that you appreciated the small touches in our guestrooms and that you would recommend our hotel to other travelers.

Happy New Year and wishing you a wonderful 2014.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Having stayed in many Hilton's around the world this one did not disappoint. The concierge service was great and staff very knowledgeable. Good location and the shuttle bus to shinkjuku station was a well used service.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BenJA1234
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your 5/5 review and for sharing your experience on this forum.

My team and I wish you a Happy New Year and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Hilton Tokyo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shinjuku
Keio Plaza Hotel Tokyo
Shinjuku Granbell Hotel
Shinjuku Granbell Hotel
#11 of 81 in Shinjuku
Hotel Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku

Been to Hilton Tokyo? Share your experiences!