“Up to par with Hilton's worldwide.”
Review of Hilton Tokyo

Ranked #3 of 87 Hotels / Ryokan in Shinjuku
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Having stayed in several of the newer Hilton properties in UK, US and Asia, the Tokyo Hilton, itself already a legend, has been renovated to reflect the modern minimalist design that had become the trademark of the newer Hiltons.
The lobby is indeed busy, but ushers prompt you to the next available staff. Rooms in the executive floor are large and well-appointed with free wifi and free light meals at various times during the day at the Executive Lounge on the 37th floor, with a stupendous view of Tokyo. The staff in the lounge are extremely pleasant and converse well in English, with a peculiar American accent.
Access to the main train stations is aided by a free shuttle to Shinjuku or a basement walkway to the subway which can connect you on to the other stations.
Will stay here again for sure.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerTokyo, General Manager at Hilton Tokyo, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review.

My team and I sincerely appreciate the time taken to share your experience with readers of this forum.

Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back when your travels next take you to Tokyo.

Hilton Tokyo

Write a ReviewReviews (4,703)

Reviewed October 11, 2013

One of the best hotels I've ever been to in my life. The price is high, but there is a reason :) If you're visiting from another country and can afford this hotel, go all out! You won't regret it.

The bathrooms were alright, the bed was very comfortable, the view was amazing and the staff were very friendly and spoke English very well. The breakfast was amazing with a traditional Japanese section and a more Western type of breakfast. The hotel is within walking distance of many shops and a nice park across the way that was very well lit even in the early AM hours.

Room Tip: Try getting a higher floor for views!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo

Dear Guest,

I am so happy you had such a wonderful stay and that you have recommended our hotel to other travelers.

We thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

Staying here right now. Clean, up-to-date, well cared for. I have only two issues to keep it from a higher rating. First, though they advertise that you can watch streaming video on their internet, I have been unable to -- it keeps pausing, making it un-watchable. Second (and this isn't something they can probably avoid), but their executive lounge is always very crowded. Can't really move in it without bumping into someone. That's probably more of an east-vs-west comfort with personal space.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

I am glad you are enjoying your stay and we appreciate that you have chosen to stay with us.

I am however concerned that you have not brought any issues concerning internet bandwidth to our attention. The hotel has access to significant bandwidth and we have not experienced reports of this nature previously. Please contact our provider iBahn from your room and they will rectify this immediately. If you are accessing the complimentary wifi in our lobby please note bandwidth is limited and this service is intended for web browsing and email.

Our Executive Lounge is a very popular place especially during the current bad weather and holiday season - we appreciate your understanding.

I hope that we can assist you and if you need further assistance to make your stay perfect please contact our manager on duty 24 hours.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

When I travel outside the US at an American chain hotel, I expect the service to be on par if not better than in my home country. While traveling to Tokyo for work, it was hard to feel like anything more than a number at this hotel given it's massive size and the throngs of people passing through daily.

Getting There
The most convenient way is to take a shuttle bus directly to the hotel from the airport (with the hotel name written in Japanese). However, since I arrived late at night they could only take me to Shinjuku station, which is a fairly confusing and lengthy walk with luggage in the humid summers. Taxis are way too expensive, so if you do get dropped off near the train station, make sure you have clear instructions in Japanese and English or can get the shuttle bus from the train station. The surrounding location has a Starbucks relatively close as well as other shops and restaurants, but you will have to look for them within other buildings without super clear signage for those not fluent in Japanese. Luckily, this location was very close to my company's Tokyo office, so taking a taxi proved to be the easiest.

Common Spaces
The lobby has recently been redone according to the hotel. Upon arrival, I was told that my room type wasn't available in non-smoking, so I was put in a room with two twin beds. However, once my key did not appear to work the first time, the staff did personally escort me to my room to make sure it worked the 2nd time.

The areas throughout the hotel all appear clean, but the lobby during the day feels a bit like a zoo with lots of different people including business men, tourists groups and other travelers. The concierge desk right by the door was fairly helpful with finding nearby places to eat and even making reservations. The taxi stand outside also works very efficiently though it's critical to have your destination in Japanese.

The breakfast buffet is around $25 USD if it's not included in your room. The Japanese breakfast items and European style pastries are all top notch. The rice dishes and dumplings were worth a 2nd visit daily. The more Western hot breakfast items can be hit or miss depending on the day.

The restaurants one floor up from the lobby are very expensive but overall very good. This is where I felt the service exceeded my expectations. Everywhere else felt liek the service was courteous, but due to the size of the hotel, it is virtually impossible to feel any sort of personalized touch here.

Room
Other than my key not working the first time, which was a minor inconvenience, the room was well appointed. Daily housekeeping service did a good job. Noise levels were fine though in the mornings yelling children would often awaken me.

There wasn't much of a view from the room other than of some tennis courts and other nondescript buidlings. The tea and kettle in the room worked well and the bathroom was updated an modern. It took a little guesswork to figure out how to use the remote for the TV since it was all in Japanese.

The elevators were usually speedy but almost always packed with people no matter what hour of the day.

Overall
I felt this hotel met my expectations but rarely exceeded them. Given the higher cost and distance from Shinjuku station, I would recommend staying in another part of town if you want to feel like you have a chance to soak in the local culture and be closer to other major tourist attractions, even if you're only trying to see them during down time from your work duties.

Room Tip: Apparently part of the hotel is NOT updated, so make sure to ask for a modern/updated room.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank upgrademe81

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and for providing your feedback. I am however disappointing that you were not totally satisfied and would like to assure you that my team will continue to focus on delivering exceptional service and experiences for all guests at Hilton Tokyo.

Hilton Tokyo is proud to be ranked in the Top 5 APAC Hilton Hotels in terms of guest satisfaction and we are committed to continuously enhancing our hospitality through training and team member development. Forums such as this are also very important to collect further guest feedback and allow us to provide information to the team that is very valuable.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back and to show you our true Hilton Tokyo experience.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

I stayed at the Hilton Tokyo in September 2013 for four nights. It was perfect for a holiday in Tokyo. Location is convenient and close to shops, restaurants and only about 7 minutes walk from Shinjuku station which connects to many JR and subway lines. It's a very short walk from the hotel to Yoyogi park and the Meiji shrine which is great if you arrive early before check in and need something to do for an hour or two.
The Hotel itself is superb. Rooms are large for Japan and the beds were long enough (I'm 6 foot). Clean, modern and the staff are professional and eager to assist. All that we encountered spoke English perfectly. The Concierge managed to effortlessly arrange a Michelin Star restaurant booking for two at very short notice.
Sign up for a package that includes the breakfast buffet - it is extensive and delicious and if you're sightseeing, load up and you won't need lunch. Highly recommended. After visiting Kyoto I returned for a final night and stayed at the Palace near Tokyo Station - it was luxury for sure, but for value and location, it was not a patch on the Hilton.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

As the General Manager of this hotel I am very pleased to read the title of your review and also your ensuing comments.

Thank you for sharing your great experience and I am very pleased you had a wonderful stay.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

This is not your typical Hilton Hotel!
The rooms are quite small, especially the bathroom. And the bathroom is a very old design. I have stayed a few times at this Hilton in the last few years and twice I have had the toilet blocked with water pouring all over the bathroom floor. Not a pleasant experience.
At more than 30,000 Yen per night I would expect better standards, especially from a Hilton Hotel.
The restaurants in the hotel are very nice but very very expensive. I tried the Dynasty Chinese restaurant which has a nice selection of Yum Cha Dim Sum dishes though expect to pay more than $50 a head just for food.. I also tried Musahino Japanese Restarant and had there Sukiyaki which was delicious but at 13,500 Yen (almost A$150 per person) it is too expensive.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank scott0511

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us.

At Hilton Tokyo we have a wide variety of room types and based on the quoted room rate it would indicate that you stayed in a standard guestroom (28m2). This room size is however quite large for Tokyo standards in this hotel category and at this rate level. Deluxe and Executive category rooms provide greater space and range from 30-60m2. On your next return to Tokyo if additional space is required I would recommend reserving the larger room type.

Concerning plumbing - it is most unfortunate that you experienced a blocked toilet and this is an extremely rare and most unusual report. Please accept my sincere apology for this and I would like to assure our guests that this is not at all typical of this hotel.

Regarding restaurant pricing our restaurants are competitively priced in the local market and provide very high quality food and beverages. We also offer two popular priced restaurants with reasonably priced meals and buffets.

We thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

The rooms are very nice, this is the good point, and the included breakfast buffet is exceptional. BUt the corridors, the bathrooms are very old. Also, we cannot beleive that at 300$ per night, they charge you for the internet in the room. In 2013, this is inacceptable for us. A last positive point is the free shuttle to shinjuku station, which is convinient.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerTokyo, General Manager at Hilton Tokyo, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Dear Guest,

It is very disappointing to read the title of your review.

Hilton Tokyo would never deceive our guests and our hotel is maintained to the highest standards. All guest corridors are fully renovated and all Deluxe and Executive guestrooms fully renovated. Further renovations of standard guestrooms including bathrooms will be completed by May 2014 and once completed will be market leading in the upper upscale segment.

Internet is charged at all full service upscale hotels in Tokyo and we provide complimentary internet in all public areas on level 1 and level 2. Internet inclusive packages are also available at the point of reservation.