“Where is the duck?”

Ranked #4 of 81 Hotels / Ryokan in Shinjuku
Khabarovsk, Russia
“Where is the duck?”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We stayed in Hilton Shinjuku in January and now I beleive it's not the best time for visiting Tokyo. There was too cold and too windy, more than in weather forecasts.

One of the Hilton's conveniences is its transport accessibility. There is a direct bus line from Narita, a shuttle bus to Shinjuku station and an exit to subway from the lobby. But it's far enough from central Tokyo, it took about a half our to get to Tokyo station.

Actually I have nothing more to say about good or bad things in this Hilton. Hilton Shinjuku as standard as standard hotel could be. When you check in you will get a standard room, standard breakfast, standard service, etc.

But why they made worktable's stems so cruelly hard and wide-sticked?? We hurt all our toes! And there was not a Hilton duck in a bathroom.

Yes, I know that's nothing important and Hilton Shinjuku is OK, but... Actually it's absolutely not about the Hilton amenities! It's about "Where is Hilton's magic?!"

And may be I'm too critical, but I wonder why Hilton Tokyo was so boring, so ordinary? And ... where is the duck?)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mihailrus
GeneralManagerTokyo, General Manager at Hilton Tokyo, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us and I am glad you enjoyed your stay.

Unfortunately we do not have 'rubber ducks' and this is not a standard amenity in our hotels. We do however have a very cute Kimono Bear as the Hilton Tokyo mascot which is available in our suites and as a gift.

We look forward to welcoming you back and wish you safe onward travels.

Hilton Tokyo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (582)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Or family of 4 - 2ad & 2 chn - stayed at the Hilton Tokyo for a week in April. We had a jnr King suite which gave us plenty of space, even with a rollaway bed. We were on a standby upgrade which sadly we didn't get as that would have been the icing on the cake. As we were out of our room all day we didn't want to pay for wi-fi but as soon as we entered the lobby we were all frantically connecting before either leaving on the shuttle or returning to our rooms!
In the next block was a Starbucks which we used for breakfast a couple of times and a little supermarket which was great, the children loved the Japanese sweet selection.
The shuttle to Shinjuku station was great, always on time and super convenient.
Our room had lovely Japanese touches despite being a global chain. We loved the traditional robes, screens instead of curtains and china tea pot. The staff were lovely.
Tokyo was a very cool city to explore and we only touched the surface. Despite our limited Japanese we found everyone tried to understand us and we always seemed to get the message across!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

It is wonderful to know you had a great time in Tokyo and really enjoyed the city.

My team really appreciates the time to pass on your feedback and I will also ensure it is translated and shared on our guest communication board.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We arrived in Tokyo after 4 weeks of rather arduous travel in the far east and checking into the Hilton Shinjuku was like finding Nirvana. From the time we checked in to the time we left, we were treated like royalty (which we definitely are not) on every occasion by the super polite and warm hearted staff. Our room was excellent with a terrific view and the bed and bath hugely comfortable and sparkling clean. The concierge desk helped us in every possible way and were knowledgeable in the extreme. Most staff had excellent English as well as other languages. Oh, if only North American hotels were so well organised. A 10 out of 10! And as a bonus, it has a great location as well, with easy underground access to the subway and a 5 minute free shuttle to Shinjuku Station and the mall.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

GeneralManagerTokyo, General Manager at Hilton Tokyo, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your glowing review. As a hotelier it is so rewarding to know we created such a wonderful impression and that we really made an impact on your Japan experience.

My team also joins me in thanking you for sharing your stay and opinion on this forum.

Finally please accept my apologies for the belated response to your post.

We wish you safe travels and look forward to seeing you back in Tokyo at the Hilton!

Mr Jamie A. Mead
china
Reviewed May 5, 2013

this hilton has very big rooms, compared to typical tokyo hotels. The staff there is very helpful, and location is walking distance to the shinjuku station. i enjoyed my stay there everytime. the gym is complimentary and the equipment is in great condition. just remember that there is a whole other room of cardio equipment, by the poolside, if the main one if fully occupied.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank tissu
GeneralManagerTokyo, General Manager at Hilton Tokyo, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great review.

My team and I appreciate that you took the time to share your highly satisfied experience on this forum.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

Don't bother paying for an executive room here, Hilton Tokyo told us they had over booked the executive lounge and suggested we not use it. We used it and the service was well below par! Hilton Tokyo has a lot to learn. Customer service was non existent. We booked the executive room on the back of a fantastic stay at Hilton Singapore... If you are in Singapore... I recommend the Hilton... In Tokyo... Find somewhere else.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

It is very disappointing to read your review and my team and I sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Over the period of your stay the hotel was very busy as it coincided with the main annual national holidays in Japan. Due to the anticipated demand we had a supplementary lounge operating and when our main lounge was fully occupied we directed guests to the supplementary lounge. The food and beverage offering and service is identical to the main lounge. Our Executive Lounge is also open daily from 7am-11pm giving guests ample opportunity to access the space to enjoy breakfast, snacks, evening canapés and beverages and afternoon tea. Additionally our Executive Floor rooms offer higher levels of amenities and a premium design over other room types.

I would also like to clarify for readers of this forum that the Executive Guestroom category was not overbooked but fully occupied and with a higher than normal guest density due to the spring vacation period. This is often experienced over peak leisure periods and the hotel prepares to anticipate guest movements and demand to maintain the guest experience. On occasion guests may stay longer or visit at the same time causing some delays to access certain facilities and we again apologise if this was experienced.

My team and I are committed to the highest levels of service and are consistently lauded on tripadvisor and other forums for excellence in guest service. For this reason I am very concerned by your comments and will have this investigated immediately to ensure absolute consistency. Your experience is also so very unusual given the very strong service culture that exists in Japan even when in a very busy environment. It is also very different from the great majority of reviews which consistently praise our Executive Lounge and the Lounge team.

Once again thank you for staying with us and for sharing your experience. Guest feedback is so valuable and allows us to continue to refine our product and service.

Hong Kong
Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

a slightly more tired property than some of the other hotels in Tokyo - the service makes up For it! Spacious rooms (for Tokyo) in a convenient location. I would recommend the hotel as a base for exploring - quite far for business if your in the CBD. Thank you to all the staff that made our stay most enjoyable - especially the new manger in the lobby restaurant (where we ate bfast each day)!

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great review. My team and I appreciate the time taken to share your experience and to commend our 'service'.

Hilton Tokyo is currently undertaking a US$50m+ renovation of this property to maintain our facilities and to securely place the hotel as the leading upper upscale hotel in Tokyo.

Concerning location Tokyo is a Mega City (44 million people working population) and there is no Central Business District. Instead there are 6 main business hubs of which Shinjuku is the largest. The other hubs include: Marunouchi/Otemachi, Shinagawa, Ikebukuro, Ueno, Akasaka/Roppongi. All however are easily reached from Hilton by either the Oedo or Marunouchi line accessible at hotel level B2 or by walking or taking the complimentary shuttle to Shinjuku Station.

Thank you again for choosing Hilton and my team and I look forward to welcoming you back.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 4, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for 3 nights. At first we were given a room that look so outdated with such an old looking bathroom that we asked to be allocated another room. We were told that no rooms were available for the first night but we could move the next day. The new room we were allocated was much better - I believe they are in the process of renovating some rooms.
Hotel is ok, nothing special. You have to pay for WiFi which is a bit ridiculous as everywhere else we stayed in Japan for the following 2 weeks (even in small village hotels), WiFi was included in the price and available in the room.
Buffet breakfast is good but arrive early because queues can be long for getting a table. The first morning, I asked for warm milk for my coffee at least 3 times and never got it. The next day when I asked for it, I got cold milk. I don't think it is a language problem, I just think the waiters are so busy with breakfast service that they can be unattentive at times.
The hotel is less than 10 minutes walking from Shinjuku station. There is a shuttle that goes from the hotel to the station but walking is so much easier that we never used the shuttle during out stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a recently renovated room
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I am very pleased you enjoyed our new room product and as mentioned previously we are currently upgrading our product to this new standard (including bathrooms). Hilton is committed to be the premier upscale hotel in Tokyo and this will be realized at the end of the facility upgrade. As of April 2013 he renovation of 600 rooms is completed and the program will recommence in early 2014 completing all guest rooms and all level 2 restaurants and bars.

Concerning hot milk at breakfast please accept my apologies and assurance that unfortunately this is highly likely to be a language issue. Whilst all team members speak basic English unfortunately there can be occasional errors made and misunderstandings may eventuate. The team and the Japanese culture in general is very service oriented and such an oversight is not typical. We do however take this very seriously and my Training Manager, English Teacher and Director of Operations will review breakfast service and language capabilities immediately.

Wi-Fi is charged at all Hilton Hotels globally (except for elite level HHonors Members). Hilton Tokyo provides a fast, secure and VPN compatible in room internet solution at a reasonable US$17 per 24 hours for up to 5 devices simultaneously. In addition to this we provide complimentary wifi and PC access in our lobby and restaurants on level 1 and 2.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience and we look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Tokyo.

HILTON TOKYO
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shinjuku
Keio Plaza Hotel Tokyo
Shinjuku Granbell Hotel
Shinjuku Granbell Hotel
#12 of 81 in Shinjuku
Hotel Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku

Been to Hilton Tokyo? Share your experiences!