“Top Tokyo”
Review of Hilton Tokyo

Ranked #4 of 83 Hotels / Ryokan in Shinjuku
Reviewed November 7, 2012

The Hilton Tokyo is located in one of my favorite areas in Tokyo, Shinjuku Station is a few minutes walking, so all Tokyo is at it's reach by the Subway or JR Train.
The Service in the Hotel is Amazing, the Food is superb!
But what made me love this Hotel, is that when I left I forgot a bunch of 100 dollar bills in the safe, I realized later in the day and called. They told me that the room was already occupied and that the Housekeeper must have whatever was on the safe.... To make the Story short, when I got there, the Money was in a closed envelope, counted and arranged by denominations, all was there. How come this will not be my favorite Hotel in the World?

Room Tip: All are good
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Janosoto
GeneralManagerTokyo, General Manager at Hilton Tokyo, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for our great review and we love to hear that Hilton Tokyo is one of your favorite Hotels.

I am also glad you found our location convenient - Shinjuku is the hub of Tokyo for transport, entertainment, dining and shopping and is actually the #1 spot for all international visitors to Japan according to the Japan National Tourist Organization. For our business travelers Shinjuku also makes it very easy to get around by either JR or Tokyo Metro (Subway).

I have also passed on your appreciation to our housekeeping and lost property team for the swift return of your cash.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Tokyo!

Reviewed November 7, 2012

We stayed at Hilton Tokyo last month. All the staffs were very professional and mostly speak good english. Excellent bed and pillow, makes a good night sleep. Very good hot tub and sauna facilities. Good for business meetings or wedding.

However, as a leisure traveller, its location is not too convenient, even though it offers free shuttle to and from Shinjuku station. Also, there is lack of sitting area in the lobby. And no free wifi, which personally I feel it should be a must nowadays for a hotel, especially when you consider the cost for this hotel stay.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear guest,

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay but disappointed you did not find our location convenient.

Every traveler has different requirements and in addition to the shuttle (7-10 minute walk) we also have two subway lines accessible in our basement and a number of tours departing directly from our lobby. The airport bus service also offers door to door transfers from Hilton to both Narita and Haneda Airports.

Free Wi-Fi is available for all guests in our public areas and our Connectivity Station offers six PC's on a complimentary basis on the lobby level.

Thank you for your feedback and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

My husband (a Diamond Hilton Honors) member and I stayed here for a total of 4 nights over 2 stays, using points. We always try to stay at Hiltons on our vacations because we enjoy the perks – i.e. the Executive Lounge and the free upgrades. We used to live in Asia, and one thing that was great about Hilton hotels in Asia, is that they are so luxurious. This was certainly NOT the case here.

There are some positives. The location was great. 2 subway lines connected to the hotel (although a bit of a walk). It’s even walkabout from Shinjuku Station (although maybe not with luggage). The shuttle to Shinjuku station was very much appreciated. And the food and drink in the Executive Lounge for cocktail hour was great. Most of the people who work there are great – they genuinely wanted to help us (with directions, dinner recommendation and reservations, etc). I read other reviews where people said that the staff were unfriendly and unhelpful – that could not have been further from the truth for us (with the exception of the lying – explained below).

However, there is so much more wrong with the hotel than right. As I said, my husband is Diamond – which is Hilton’s top bracket in their loyalty program. When we checked in for our first stay, we were upgraded to a “Deluxe” floor – not the executive floor. We knew that that the hotel was very busy, and upgrades are only offered if available, so we didn’t think too much of the smaller than usual upgrade. However, when we got to our room, we couldn’t believe how basic it was. We were wondering, “if this is a deluxe room, what is a standard room like?” To put it in perspective, a couple of weeks ago, we spent a night in the Hampton Inn in South Oklahoma City. I would put this on the same level of luxury (all the way at the bottom). I see in the manager’s response to reviews that he refers to the hotel as a five star property. I have no idea where he gets that from, but our “Deluxe” room was the equivalent of a three star room in the US. When I think 5 star – I think luxury. Now the size of the room was actually fine – I wouldn’t complain about that at all. However, the bathroom was tiny! I didn’t have room to leave any toiletries in there (my husband had room for just his). The furniture is cheap looking, cheap feeling, and there are no decorations. There is not one thing about that room that says “luxury”

After 2 nights, we left for one night, and then came back for another 2 night stay. This time, they told us that there were no King beds, and they had to put us in a Queen bed on a “Deluxe” floor. We asked to be upgraded to the executive floors (since the hotel was not full this time) and were told that they only do a 1 level upgrade. I find that so disappointing. One of the best customers that Hilton has, and they won’t even give an upgrade to the executive floor – when there is space available. Every other Hilton that we have stayed in has upgraded us as far as possible. But this so-called “5 star” Hilton doesn’t even make an attempt. So we headed to our room. It was shocking – absolutely worse than the Hampton Inn we stayed at a few weeks after this. I cannot believe that Hilton would even allow rooms like this in the Hilton brand hotels. The walls and furniture were cracked and the TV had to have been over 10 years old. I can only assume that this was a standard room and they lied about it being Deluxe. We called the front desk to complain, and they moved us to a King room that was more to the standard of our first stay. I really don’t appreciate the fact that the person who checked us in flat out lied to us about the availability of the King Bed. I also can’t believe that they thought it was OK to put us in a room like that. I feel so bad for the people without status who pay hundreds of dollars a night for a room like that – with no chance of being upgraded. We used points and still overpaid for our rooms. I’m so grateful we didn’t actually pay to stay here.

Another problem was the executive lounge. Breakfast was just not very good. Yes, I am complaining about a free breakfast, so maybe I should just stop – but we had stayed at 2 other Hiltons on our trip (Osaka and Seoul). On both those hotels, we were permitted to eat in the main restaurant (for free), which tends to have a much better selection. That wasn’t an option here. So while breakfast wasn’t terrible – it just wasn’t very good. The other problem was something that another reviewer had identified earlier, and management’s response was along the lines of “that doesn’t ever happen and won’t happen again”. Well that was wrong! We went to the lounge one evening and were told that there were no tables, and that we could return to our room and they would call us when one was available. This bothered me because another guest had made management aware of this on TripAdvisor, they knew that the hotel was full, and they did nothing to proactively address this problem. They even sat single people at tables pushed together (where they could comfortably fit more than 4 people). I was very disappointed in the poor management around this.

Overall, this hotel is very disappointing. As a diamond HH member, the benefits are nowhere near what you get at other Hiltons. This is not a luxurious hotel by any means - although according to the responses on tripadvisor, management thinks that it is (which is very worrying). I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank michelle002

Dear Guest,

It is very disappointing to hear your feedback and it is unfortunate that you did not speak with a member of our management team whilst you were our guest as we always do our upmost to ensure our guests are well taken care of and satisfied with their stay. Your comments are very different from the great majority of positive reviews we have on Trip Advisor and we really wished you had brought your dissatisfaction to our attention.

Hilton Tokyo has a Japanese inspired design throughout and the quality and fittings are definitely not poor quality or inexpensive. Materials in Japan are light and a minimalist design style is used throughout the hotel and this is consistently appreciated by our guests.

As a Diamond HHonors guest you were upgraded to the best available category as the Executive Floor was not available. Lounge access and complimentary wifi, breakfast, all day refreshments, afternoon tea and evening drinks and canapés were offered. Unfortunately the lounge can get busy at times however my team did their best to accommodate you and offer alternatives. For HHonors redemption stays we also offer 'Any Room Type Rewards' where you can redeem higher room categories including Executive Floor King and Suites. This way you can guarantee that you receive the room you require which is very popular in busy locations like Tokyo.

Whilst our Hampton by Hilton hotels are an excellent limited service product at Hilton we provide a full range of services and facilities for our guests. In Japan however where space is limited we have prioritized guest room space with a smaller bathroom. As mentioned in earlier Management comments we are however launching new rooms in January 2013 (Executive and Deluxe) with larger four point bathrooms (Executive) which may suit your needs.

Hilton Tokyo and the Hilton Brand is an 'Upper Upscale' hotel and not a 'Luxury Hotel' however the team does provide a very high level of service which is regularly recognized. If guests require a luxury hotel our sister hotel Conrad Tokyo is a beautiful property with minimum 50m2 rooms and views over Tokyo Bay.

We appreciate your loyalty and thank you sincerely for your feedback. If I can assist you further please do not hesitate to contact me at jamie.mead@hilton.com.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed two nights in early October, very happy with my accomodations. As a Hilton member, I was upgraded to 35th floor, Executive Level. This allows you to eat breakfast, afternoon tea, cocktails and a light dinner, affordably. Would recommend booking these floors, even with the higher initial cost, these perks are worth it... unless you are on an expense account, then do as you please.

All employees were very courteous, requests for services such as laundry and pillows were quick and frieindly. Shuttle bus to Shinjuku station is complimentary, and quick. Recommend visiting this area to get more of a local feel... the hotel is located in a business park environment, not a lot of local flavor in the area.

I recommend this hotel and would stay here again...

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great review. We really appreciate that you enjoyed our Executive Room, Executive Lounge and team member service.

My team and I are committed to providing the best possible experience for all of our guests and it is really nice to hear that this was enjoyed and appreciated.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Regards

Jamie Mead

Reviewed November 4, 2012

We stayed here late October 2012. We were pleased. Our room was thoroughly clean-even the wall light switches (a usual source of some grime and dirt) were spick and span clean.The support services were very good. If we needed anything we called housekeeping and in a flash it was there.The internet was very fast, important to me because I had work to do. The location was great; we could walk to train stations and get to where we needed to go with ease.The room service food was good. There is a "mall" below the hotel, "Hiltopia", with shops and eateries. We didn't get a chance to visit but it seemed pretty popular. Likewise, we didn't have time in our schedule to check out the hotel bar scene etc, but they seemed pretty busy.

The prices were typical big city, major hotel prices-no suprise there.

Dear guest,

It is great to get such accolades from a 'Senior Reviewer' and obviously a very experienced traveler. I am also glad you enjoyed our location - Shinjuku is a great area and is the true 'hub' of Tokyo with more than 3.5 million people per day using Shinjuku station to access western Tokyo and the rest of Japan!

I will also translate and share your very kind comments with all members of my team as they love to hear from our guests. In particular it is great to note you were impressed by housekeeping cleanliness and our new high speed internet which was just upgraded in September.

So glad you enjoyed Tokyo and I hope to see you back at Hilton Tokyo in the near future.

Reviewed November 1, 2012

Staying in the Tokyo Hilton in Shinjuku is always a pleasure. I stayed here for the first time nearly five years ago, and I make sure I book myself here whenever I visit Tokyo on business trips. On this last visit my company screwed up the booking and when I came to check in I found out the room had been booked for the wrong date. The receptionist was very calm, offering me a suite on the 36th floor for one night, then arranging to move my things to another room for the second night.

Staying in a suite was a real delight, witih more space than many Tokyo apartments, and access to the exclusive business lounge. Even the "normal" rooms are great though, with plenty of space to stretch out and all the features you would expect for the Hilton.

I also found out that staying in this Hilton is very convenient for taking buses to and from either of the two airports, and for the multitude of half- and full-day tours that the city has to offer. The concierge and ground floor staff are also very helpful, and can help you to get onto any of the available buses or trips.

So why don't you try the Hilton next time? OK, so this place is not cheap, but it's worth a splurge, at least for one night--even if you're picking up the tab!

Room Tip: The rooms on the south side look across to the mountains.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
GeneralManagerTokyo, General Manager at Hilton Tokyo, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the great comments and for your loyalty to Hilton Tokyo.

We have so many regulars due to the points you mentioned and we are pleased that our guests consistenty enjoy our product and service whilst in Tokyo.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed October 27, 2012

Japan is expensive so no shock there. However the Checkers buffet the most basic form of dinning in the hotel is outrageously expensive for a poor selection of luke warm tired looking food that was mostly fish based.

The staff seemed indifferent to the suggestion of a hot buffet being just that not warm and dry because it had been standing for too long.

Being made to wait for 8 minutes until the official check in time of 14.00 "Japanese system sir" is hugely irritating and just puts you in a bad mood!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
GeneralManagerTokyo, General Manager at Hilton Tokyo, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank-you for your review and sharing you overall good experience at Hilton Tokyo.

Your comments on Checkers Brasserie and check in time is however concerning as I have never had anyone comment to wait the exact minutes to check in time. We always try our very best to get guests into their rooms as soon as possible and would never make guests wait a few minutes for check in time. This is definitely not the Japanese way, yes this country likes systems however service, common sense and guest satisfaction always takes precedence.

Checkers is also our most popular 'western' restaurant and has consistently high satisfaction ratings. I do apologise if you did not find the selection to your personal preference and will follow up with our chef to ensure temperatures are maintained at all times.

Thank you again for choosing Hilton and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Hilton Tokyo

Also consider these accommodations in or near Shinjuku
Keio Plaza Hotel Tokyo
Shinjuku Granbell Hotel
#12 of 83 in Shinjuku
Hotel Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku
Hotel Century Southern Tower

Been to Hilton Tokyo? Share your experiences!