“Great Place To Stay”

Ranked #9 of 83 Hotels / Ryokan in Shinjuku
Washington
“Great Place To Stay”
Reviewed March 20, 2009

I just returned from Japan and one of the hotels I stayed at was the RIHGA Royal Hotel. I had some trepidation about booking here because one of the reviews stated how out of the way this hotel was. Will I was pleasantly surprised to find that there is a shuttle to a JR Line terminal and once there you can get anywhere. My business was at Sunshine City which I was able to get to taking a tram that is 3 blocks from the hotel.
The service was great and our large room overlooked the garden. The bath had a separate WC and the tub was one of the biggest I've seen in Tokyo. Breakfast was expensive so we headed out for our morning meal and we were never there for the other meals.
For a Tokyo hotel I think this is a place to stay at a good price and great service. I will stay here again if my trip puts me North of the Tokyo City Center.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Wizsup

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Richmond-upon-Thames, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 15, 2008

Nice hotel not overly far from the station.... but on the other hand, if you want to be in the thick of things in Tokyo, there are better places.

That aside, this is a good quality hotel. It sits next door to Tokyo's famous Waseda University, and so is very useful for academics or those visiting friends or family at that university.

Being a Rihga Royal, the standard of service is high, as is the cuisine. I found the rooms not to be massive, but perhaps more spacious than your typical Tokyo room. Well appointed and a good bathroom (with a decent-sized bath).

It's may a ten or so minute walk to the nearest station, that being Takadanobaba. If walking's not your thing, the hotel does operate a complimentary shuttle bus, or failing that, taxis are safe and relatively cheap.

Like I said, it's not in the thick of things, but is in a pleasant enough area. Getting into the busy areas of Shinjuku and the like won't take long on the train, but there are other hotels which don't seem as out of the way.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
1 Thank Naniwa
Pasadena, California
Reviewed April 1, 2008

This is my third trip to Tokyo, but the first where I couldn't stay with family or friends. So, I looked online to find a reasonably priced hotel close to the Four Seasons, where a friend was getting married.

The Rihga Royal was US$165 per night, and much larger than I expected. Our room was probably 600 square feet, as large as my friend's apartment, and larger than my brother in law's. The hotel was very Western style, though the tea and instant hot water were a nice Japanese touch. The staff was attentive, helping us with our bags and to flag down taxis. (We do not speak Japanese and it was fine.)

The hotel has a shuttle to the metro Takananababa (sp?) station, though we usually walked <10 minutes to Waseda station. We didn't eat in the hotel, so I can't comment on the restaurants.

The room showed signs of age, a worn carpet here, a worn couch there. But the sheets and towels were in excellent condition and our tenth floor room was very quiet. There is nothing particularly special about this hotel. But, it was at least $400 a night cheaper than the Four Seasons, and a fine place to sleep. Perhaps if we were there a week later, we would have enjoyed a view of the cherry blossoms in the park from our room.

• Liked — Price and amount of space
  • Disliked — A little far away from Tokyo attractions
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank chiccobean
traveller973
Reviewed November 9, 2007

I stayed at the Rhiga Royal Hotel for 5 nights and can only recommend this hotel. The location might not be perfect (the hotel is located next to Waseda University), but in Tokyo location is not an issue: taxi fares are cheap, there is a metro stop nearby and the hotel offers a shuttle to one of the major train stations.
This hotel is not very popular with tourists and the 99% of the client base is Japanese which makes it even more interesting.
I have stayed in Hyatts, Sheratons and Hiltons in many different countries and can honestly say this hotel is up there with the best. The service is impeccable, the rooms spacious and the hotel offers a wide range of services (including a wedding chapel, photo studio and dental clinic :-)).
If you considering this hotel book online and select the super saver rate: 24.000 yen (excl. taxes) for a 50m² suite with a great view is pretty much unbeatable in Tokyo.
The hotel staff is very helpful but do take into account that is not a very international hotel so don't expect international TV channels.
In a nutshell, this hotel is gem to be discovered. The fact that this is the first comment on tripadvisor is the living proof.

• Liked — Service levels
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business