“Great Hotel, great location”

Shinjuku Prince Hotel
Ranked #14 of 82 Hotels / Ryokan in Shinjuku
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel, great location”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

We stayed here as part of our honeymoon trip to Japan, and we loved it. The room was small (as is to be expected for Japan) but very comfortable and clean. The room also had a great view! There was no minibar, but each floor had vending machines with snacks and drinks (alcoholic and non alcoholic) and the rooms had a fridge to put drinks in. We really liked this system, as there was much more choice than a minibar, and you don't have to worry about the bill at the end. The location of the hotel was great - easy access to Shinjuku station, and close to restaurants and shops etc. The price was also very reasonable and I would say good value for what it is. We really enjoyed our stay here, and would definitely stay again!

Room Tip: Higher floor for a great view!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Stephanie E

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I stayed only 1 night here but would stay again in a millisecond.

I was thrown off at first that after my boyfriend checked us in, the reception asked for my passport as well. I asked why they wanted a copy of my documents if the room wasn't under my name and he said that all guests staying were required to do so. ((I later found out that this hotel is right near the "Red-Light" District and this was possibly a deterrent for Johns trying to bring girls in))

The room was exactly like the website pictures and immaculate.

The bed, amenities, and the view were just awesome.

Also, it felt a bit random but this place had THE fastest elevator ever. I mean, we literally pressed the button and no matter if we were on our floor (20) or in the lobby it came in 5 seconds!!

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views Ask for a second towel if you need to use 1 for your hair and one...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Nicole K
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed August 4, 2013

This hotel is close to the Shinjuku train station. It's a big hotel. Check-in etc was uncomplicated. The rooms are small, but well designed. One hears a bit of street noise (even on the 16th floor where I was), but it's not too bad. The check-in staff were not super-professional (or their English was limited), and couldn't answer some of my questions about the internet. But as it turned out later in the room, it was all no problem and it worked just perfect. The rooms are not very sound proof, so I heard some of my neighbors at times (but this may not be untypical for Japanese hotels I discovered).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank anglosuisse
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I am glad that we only stayed here one night because I wouldn't be able to handle it

The first thing we noticed about this hotel was the smell when we arrived on our floor, when we entered the rooms it did not get any better, and the bathrooms smelt worse like sewerage. Considering we were in Non-Smoking rooms there was no reason for it to stink so badly!

You are right next to the train line and that was all that I could hear all night, I don't know if the other side of the hotel is any better, but the trains were really loud and noisy and kept me awake for a couple of hours after getting to bed.

My sister and her partner were in the room next to us which smelt even worse then ours, I did not envy them at all!

The only positive side to this hotel was that the bell boys were super helpful and were able to recommend places for us to eat and make booking for us.

In all I would NEVER stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Shorty I
Farnborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We were in Shinjuku both at the start of our Japanese holiday for one week when the Prince was full until our return for two final days. So we were able to contrast the Prince in the heart of Shinjuku with a hotel 20 mins walk on the edge of the area (see my separate APA hotel review if interested). The Prince won hands down being bang in the centre of this exciting vibrant area.

All around are the throbbing Shinjuku shops and department stores, restaurants and night-life including some adult clubs, plus within 5 - 8 mins walk through pavements, alleys or the station, access to the platform for trains to the Osaka / Kyoto Shinkansens.

Our booked standard room was so claaustrophobic I'd swear if you walked from the door to big window - just 3 or so steps - and didn't stop, you'd end up floating down over the red light district 15 floors below. At reception in a trice, bought an inexpensive upgrade (not available when originally booking) to a deluxe room which was exactly twice the size, well featured with a small separate seating area, huge picture window over the main station and around, comfy big bed and lovely bathroom.

WiFi in the room wasn't too cheap and not massively fast, but we bought one night and were able on the 2nd night to find a different connection anyway.

The foyer was a disappointing area lacking much seating, the staff English skills varied for moderate to non-existent and the lack of a coffe shop or bar meals area in early evening was a surprise.

Needing an early checkout for a 7:00 am train I did everything possible at Reception the night before, but was still asked to call at Reception in the morning. Thankfully with no queue then, we were away in a few seconds.

We had a really happy exciting three weeks in Japan this Spring and the Shinjuku Prince was a great way to spend our last 2 days. I do read other reviewers' reviews and if our holiday had not been so exciting, I am sure some of the hotel's shortcomings which they and I noticed may have dampened our enthusiasm, but thankfully this was not the case. We had a great stay.

Room Tip: Upgrade or book a deluxe, they are spacious enough whilst the standard rooms are claustrophobic.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
new york
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Pros:
- Inexpensive
- In a happening area
- fairly responsive staff (so-so english)
- safe area, although it looks unsafe

Cons:
- rooms are noisy because of constant train traffic
- No WiFi inside the room (even if you are willing to pay !)
- wired internet inside the room is very slow
- WiFi available in the lobby, but no place to sit !
- No coffee (just green tea)...plus you will have to walk down the hallway to get hot water
- Cafe in the lobby is expensive and bad food
- It is very very crowded in the lobby as well as when you step out
- The rooms are very small (even by Japanese standards) , no closets.
- airport shuttle stop is 5 minutes away
- no Gym

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

As this is a Japanese hotel chain , communication with the hotel staff in English could be a challenge.
On my first day, I was v frustrated as i was not able to get directions by the concierge staff.
I decided to take a cab to shinjuku station to get a sense of direction ( cab fare was below USD 10)and managed to find my way . Lots of restaurants ( including a 24/7 ramen shop), convenience shops, even a 100yen shop .

There is a train station next to the hotel - but that
Is not useful for any the key sightseeing spots.

Rooms are clean - would recommend that one tops up for the bigger room . It would be good to have more English channels on TV though.

Free Wi- fi is only at reception - you see lots of people sitting around the front desk on their devices - I would rather pay a flat fee to get access in my room ...

• Stayed June 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shinjuku
Shinjuku Granbell Hotel
Keio Plaza Hotel Tokyo
#8 of 82 in Shinjuku
Hotel Sunroute Higashi Shinjuku
Citadines Shinjuku Tokyo

Been to Shinjuku Prince Hotel? Share your experiences!