“Great location - other aspects just average”

Shinjuku Prince Hotel
Ranked #15 of 81 Hotels / Ryokan in Shinjuku
Singapore, Singapore
“Great location - other aspects just average”
Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

As this is a Japanese hotel chain , communication with the hotel staff in English could be a challenge.
On my first day, I was v frustrated as i was not able to get directions by the concierge staff.
I decided to take a cab to shinjuku station to get a sense of direction ( cab fare was below USD 10)and managed to find my way . Lots of restaurants ( including a 24/7 ramen shop), convenience shops, even a 100yen shop .

There is a train station next to the hotel - but that
Is not useful for any the key sightseeing spots.

Rooms are clean - would recommend that one tops up for the bigger room . It would be good to have more English channels on TV though.

Free Wi- fi is only at reception - you see lots of people sitting around the front desk on their devices - I would rather pay a flat fee to get access in my room ...

• Stayed June 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I was scare abot the noise... but I was reallly surpise that I did not hear anything at all. I get a higher level room with a wonderfull view of the city. Service ins not a really high one.. and the lobby is nothing special. Rooms are small as everithing in Japan... recomended for staying one night befeore taking a train,..

Room Tip: Reallly high floor.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed June 19, 2013

You would stay here for the location only. For the price of the place, I was incredibly disappointed.

The Deluxe room was small (this was expected - I would hate to see what the standard rooms are like), and while clean, had a very dated and slightly sad feel to it. It didn't help that all materials in the room were damp on arrival - the sheets, sofa etc were all damp.

You have to pay for wifi (though free in the lobby - that has perhaps five two-person seats), and that the hotel won't hold your bags after you checkout unless you pay for it.

I was really sorry to have spent almost $1500 (AU) on four nights accommodation here.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high level - on floor 17 I could still hear some street noise (not badly).
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Manheim, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 19, 2013

we stayed nights in middle of May-2013. The hotel has good location, hotel is in the red-light area but verysafe and no one bothers even late at night, walking to many restaurants and shops, 5-10 mins walk to shinjuku station (look for East exit), 7-8 mins to Narita airport bus station. The room is small japanese style but very clean and nice. The hotel staffs are friendly and helpfull.

Room Tip: high level to see city at night
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed June 16, 2013

We stayed there a few times starting in 2007, last time was november 2012.
Very good location.
We always had the "suites". Great rooms.
Good quality ammenities, shampoo is POLA ( says my better half )
Clean, quiet, great view from the rooms , specially at night ( we were on the twenty third floor ).
the staff is fine.
The building itself is nothing to rave about: reception lobby, breakfast place are uninspired, but the rooms were always satisfying.
Strangely, the buffet breakfast is disapointing, probably the worst we had in Japan.
There is a ramen place accross the street opened 24h.
You have Uniqlo and Muji in the same building.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Stayed 4 nights.

Location: Easy to get to from Shinjuku Station (JR) - about a 5 minute walk. Plenty of shops and restaurants around. Location is in the red light district but in no way did us 3 girls feel threatened at all even late at night (11pm-midnight) - plenty of people still out and about. Look for the East Exit / Lumine Est / Kabuki-cho signs to get out on the correct side of the station.

Room: We had the corner room on the 20th floor (2001) overlooking the east side and although you couldn't hear outside the room (train or hallway) you could feel the footsteps and slight sway of the hotel on the first night. But beautiful view of the city.

Smaller than American hotel rooms but sufficiently sized - we were barely in the room anyway - we could fit our 2 big check-ins and 3 smaller carry ons with no issue. Would not really recommend for anyone taller than 6 feet (I'm 5"4' and I felt a bit tall in that room). Clothes storage is a problem though - you just get a couple of hooks and hangers.

Bed is a little on the firmer side with the small pillows a bit flat. 3rd bed was a fold out sofa that was uncomfortable to sleep in - even with the extra quilt for padding.

Hotel: Some shops available from level 1-8 including a 100yen (Y105 with tax) store - with some nicer food options.

Overall great quality hotel - definitely first choice when coming back to Japan.

Room Tip: High up as possible. Stay away from 3 bed rooms (or you'll get an uncomfortable sofa bed).
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas
Reviewed June 15, 2013

I booked our stay at the Shinjuku Prince due to is central location and proximity to a cooking school I attended. After reading many reviews on TA regarding the size of the rooms we booked a Deluxe Twin Room. The room was quite spacious at the advertised 30.6 m2. The bathroom had a separate wash basin area, the toilet, bath & shower combination were in a separate room. Yes, the bathroom is on the small side but I spend less time in the bathroom than in the room so I appreciate the room being more spacious. We found the beds quite comfortable, the small fridge came in handy and I enjoyed the tea and coffee selection. The general location is good, a 10min walk from Shinjuku station. Many shops, malls and restaurants in the surrounding area.

On our second night we decided to head to the top floor Fuga bar and restaurant for a night cap. The bar area has beautiful views of the Shinjuku area and surrounding skyline. A great place to end your day. What totally ruined it for me was and extra 10$ USD "chair charge" to our bill. We each had a beer and a glass of wine which were $8 and $8.50 respectively. Not too bad. Why a group of this size needs to add a "chair charge" I do not understand. Are they trying to stop non residents using the bar? If so, charge them, but why hotel guests? When I asked the server what the charge was - she all of a sudden forgot to speak English and called the manager over. When I asked him, I was not treated very friendly which also found strange as service and friendliness all over Japan is so noticeable!

The result was that during our 4 day stay, we did not use any of the hotels other restaurants or facilities! Why would I, who knows what other strange charges they can come up with! In the grand scheme of things $10 is not a lot of money, but to me, small things really make a difference!

Room Tip: Request a non smoking room. Upgrade to Deluxe room if you are not a single traveler. Request room on...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shinjuku
Hotel Gracery Shinjuku
Keio Plaza Hotel Tokyo
#7 of 81 in Shinjuku
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,819 reviews
Citadines Central Shinjuku Tokyo

Been to Shinjuku Prince Hotel? Share your experiences!