“good location hotel”

Shinjuku Prince Hotel
Ranked #13 of 84 Hotels / Ryokan in Shinjuku
Reviewed June 19, 2013

we stayed nights in middle of May-2013. The hotel has good location, hotel is in the red-light area but verysafe and no one bothers even late at night, walking to many restaurants and shops, 5-10 mins walk to shinjuku station (look for East exit), 7-8 mins to Narita airport bus station. The room is small japanese style but very clean and nice. The hotel staffs are friendly and helpfull.

Room Tip: high level to see city at night
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,008)

Reviewed June 16, 2013

We stayed there a few times starting in 2007, last time was november 2012.
Very good location.
We always had the "suites". Great rooms.
Good quality ammenities, shampoo is POLA ( says my better half )
Clean, quiet, great view from the rooms , specially at night ( we were on the twenty third floor ).
the staff is fine.
The building itself is nothing to rave about: reception lobby, breakfast place are uninspired, but the rooms were always satisfying.
Strangely, the buffet breakfast is disapointing, probably the worst we had in Japan.
There is a ramen place accross the street opened 24h.
You have Uniqlo and Muji in the same building.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Stayed 4 nights.

Location: Easy to get to from Shinjuku Station (JR) - about a 5 minute walk. Plenty of shops and restaurants around. Location is in the red light district but in no way did us 3 girls feel threatened at all even late at night (11pm-midnight) - plenty of people still out and about. Look for the East Exit / Lumine Est / Kabuki-cho signs to get out on the correct side of the station.

Room: We had the corner room on the 20th floor (2001) overlooking the east side and although you couldn't hear outside the room (train or hallway) you could feel the footsteps and slight sway of the hotel on the first night. But beautiful view of the city.

Smaller than American hotel rooms but sufficiently sized - we were barely in the room anyway - we could fit our 2 big check-ins and 3 smaller carry ons with no issue. Would not really recommend for anyone taller than 6 feet (I'm 5"4' and I felt a bit tall in that room). Clothes storage is a problem though - you just get a couple of hooks and hangers.

Bed is a little on the firmer side with the small pillows a bit flat. 3rd bed was a fold out sofa that was uncomfortable to sleep in - even with the extra quilt for padding.

Hotel: Some shops available from level 1-8 including a 100yen (Y105 with tax) store - with some nicer food options.

Overall great quality hotel - definitely first choice when coming back to Japan.

Room Tip: High up as possible. Stay away from 3 bed rooms (or you'll get an uncomfortable sofa bed).
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 15, 2013

I booked our stay at the Shinjuku Prince due to is central location and proximity to a cooking school I attended. After reading many reviews on TA regarding the size of the rooms we booked a Deluxe Twin Room. The room was quite spacious at the advertised 30.6 m2. The bathroom had a separate wash basin area, the toilet, bath & shower combination were in a separate room. Yes, the bathroom is on the small side but I spend less time in the bathroom than in the room so I appreciate the room being more spacious. We found the beds quite comfortable, the small fridge came in handy and I enjoyed the tea and coffee selection. The general location is good, a 10min walk from Shinjuku station. Many shops, malls and restaurants in the surrounding area.

On our second night we decided to head to the top floor Fuga bar and restaurant for a night cap. The bar area has beautiful views of the Shinjuku area and surrounding skyline. A great place to end your day. What totally ruined it for me was and extra 10$ USD "chair charge" to our bill. We each had a beer and a glass of wine which were $8 and $8.50 respectively. Not too bad. Why a group of this size needs to add a "chair charge" I do not understand. Are they trying to stop non residents using the bar? If so, charge them, but why hotel guests? When I asked the server what the charge was - she all of a sudden forgot to speak English and called the manager over. When I asked him, I was not treated very friendly which also found strange as service and friendliness all over Japan is so noticeable!

The result was that during our 4 day stay, we did not use any of the hotels other restaurants or facilities! Why would I, who knows what other strange charges they can come up with! In the grand scheme of things $10 is not a lot of money, but to me, small things really make a difference!

Room Tip: Request a non smoking room. Upgrade to Deluxe room if you are not a single traveler. Request room on...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Me n my daughter stayed 4 days . Front desk n concierge r very helpful n patient. Housekeeping maids r very polite . I loved the breakfast, every morning I'll look forward . The only inconvenient is the WiFi, have to run down to e lobby whenever I neeud ..

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed June 6, 2013

We have just spent 4 nights at the Shinjuku Prince Hotel. I booked this hotel after reading other reviews - and asked for a room on one of the higher levels (apparently it could be noisy closer to ground). Our first room was on the west side (overlooking railway). You could hear the trains but it wasn't a problem. Our second room was slightly lower and on the east side. It was noisier - but ear plugs did the trick for half the night. The next night we didn't need them. Don't let this bother you, however. This hotel is in a great location for trains, shopping and restaurants - and any manner of other things that you may be interested in! All of the hotel staff we dealt with were very friendly and helpful. Sure, the rooms are small - but I bumped my head on just about everything for the first 3 days in Tokyo!! The bed was big enough and that's all we needed. We didn't see anything about wi-fi - but there was a LAN cable in the drawer of the desk and a port in the desk to plug it into and we used that. I'm not sure if we were just lucky - but we were not charged for our internet usage over the 4 days. One thing we did make comment on was - if there were people in the rooms either side of us, or above us - we never heard them. No sound of running water for showers or toilets. We were pleasantly surprised by what we found here. We enjoyed Shinjuku and the Prince Hotel and we would definitely recommend it to anyone heading to Tokyo.

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter - particularly on the west side
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I knew something was not right with this place when I needed a last minute hotel in Tokyo just before the Sanja Matsuri and the Shinjuku Prince Hotel was literally my only choice left, due to the fact that rooms were booked out *everywhere* else.

Honestly, after having stayed at both the Hotel Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku and the Shinjuku Prince Hotel, I am really not sure why anyone would want to stay at the Shinjuku Prince. They are both in the same price range, both equally close to Shinjuku Station, and on paper have comparable amenities. But let me tell you, they are worlds apart.

First off, I would say this has been one of the dirtiest places I have ever stayed in Japan. I have been to hostels that were sterile compared to this place. There were black and red molds in the bathroom by the sink, shower curtain and around the bathtub. The floor I was on (14th, I think) smelled perpetually musky and stale, despite being on a non-smoking floor. And then there was the room, oh my god the smell in my room. Without exaggeration, I have been in a group huddle post-wrestling match that smelled better. There was just this sharp smell of BO upon entering my room that made me gag and hate my life. I used an entire bottle the deodorizing spray in the room to no avail. The smell did not subside after the first night so I just stayed out as long as I could each day. Oh yeah, and the rooms are small even by Tokyo standards.

Besides the standoff-ish concierge planted at the entrance (I don't blame him), service was pretty standard. I do feel bad for their employees because it seems like they are often mistreated and abused by self-entitled tourists. That's something I witnessed everyday during my stay.

This was a shame since I have fond memories of their sister hotel, the Yokohama Prince Hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple