“Good location n good service”

Shinjuku Prince Hotel
Ranked #12 of 87 Hotels / Ryokan in Shinjuku
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Me n my daughter stayed 4 days . Front desk n concierge r very helpful n patient. Housekeeping maids r very polite . I loved the breakfast, every morning I'll look forward . The only inconvenient is the WiFi, have to run down to e lobby whenever I neeud ..

• Stayed: May 2013
Write a ReviewReviews (1,030)

Reviewed June 6, 2013

We have just spent 4 nights at the Shinjuku Prince Hotel. I booked this hotel after reading other reviews - and asked for a room on one of the higher levels (apparently it could be noisy closer to ground). Our first room was on the west side (overlooking railway). You could hear the trains but it wasn't a problem. Our second room was slightly lower and on the east side. It was noisier - but ear plugs did the trick for half the night. The next night we didn't need them. Don't let this bother you, however. This hotel is in a great location for trains, shopping and restaurants - and any manner of other things that you may be interested in! All of the hotel staff we dealt with were very friendly and helpful. Sure, the rooms are small - but I bumped my head on just about everything for the first 3 days in Tokyo!! The bed was big enough and that's all we needed. We didn't see anything about wi-fi - but there was a LAN cable in the drawer of the desk and a port in the desk to plug it into and we used that. I'm not sure if we were just lucky - but we were not charged for our internet usage over the 4 days. One thing we did make comment on was - if there were people in the rooms either side of us, or above us - we never heard them. No sound of running water for showers or toilets. We were pleasantly surprised by what we found here. We enjoyed Shinjuku and the Prince Hotel and we would definitely recommend it to anyone heading to Tokyo.

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter - particularly on the west side
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I knew something was not right with this place when I needed a last minute hotel in Tokyo just before the Sanja Matsuri and the Shinjuku Prince Hotel was literally my only choice left, due to the fact that rooms were booked out *everywhere* else.

Honestly, after having stayed at both the Hotel Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku and the Shinjuku Prince Hotel, I am really not sure why anyone would want to stay at the Shinjuku Prince. They are both in the same price range, both equally close to Shinjuku Station, and on paper have comparable amenities. But let me tell you, they are worlds apart.

First off, I would say this has been one of the dirtiest places I have ever stayed in Japan. I have been to hostels that were sterile compared to this place. There were black and red molds in the bathroom by the sink, shower curtain and around the bathtub. The floor I was on (14th, I think) smelled perpetually musky and stale, despite being on a non-smoking floor. And then there was the room, oh my god the smell in my room. Without exaggeration, I have been in a group huddle post-wrestling match that smelled better. There was just this sharp smell of BO upon entering my room that made me gag and hate my life. I used an entire bottle the deodorizing spray in the room to no avail. The smell did not subside after the first night so I just stayed out as long as I could each day. Oh yeah, and the rooms are small even by Tokyo standards.

Besides the standoff-ish concierge planted at the entrance (I don't blame him), service was pretty standard. I do feel bad for their employees because it seems like they are often mistreated and abused by self-entitled tourists. That's something I witnessed everyday during my stay.

This was a shame since I have fond memories of their sister hotel, the Yokohama Prince Hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 28, 2013

It was in such a convenient location - within a 5 minute walk of the train station. About 5 mins to Golden gai (Shinjukus awesome small bar drinking area) and surrounded by shops, restaurants, bars and karaoke places. You really are in the thick of it all here. Also the free wifi in the lobby is very handy. The info desk was very helpful in directing us of how to get around, providing several maps and taking the time to highlight where we wanted to go.

Other revieweres are not joking when they say the rooms are small. This is the smallest hotel I have ever stayed in - by far the smallest on our whole japan trip. However, as two tall westerners we still managed. It's fine for a short trip.

Unfortunately you can also hear the trains from the room - it's not too loud but could keep you up if you're a very light sleeper. (I'm a lightish sleeper but it didn't bother me). The hotel looks a tad dated, but you get what you pay for,

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed at the hotel, and we enjoyed every second in it...
The front desk were very friendly and they helped a lot, even at the concierge they were very friendly helping us with the street names and malls.
The rooms are small but super clean and very comfortable, the location of the hotel is on the good side of Shinjuku and it was way better than the other hotel I stayed in Shinjuku before..

Will definitely come back when in Tokyo

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 26, 2013

This hotel is very close to train station. 5-10 minute walk you arrive East exit of Shinjuku station, which is one of the main station in Tokyo. You can go to anywhere in Tokyo or Japan via Shinjuku station.
Also few minutes walk to Shinjuku and lots of restaurant (24 hours too).
This is very convenience location.
The room inside is typical small and tidy Tokyo hotel, most hotels in Tokyo are small.
Internet access is not included, LAN nor wifi, which is not fit the modem need. You may rent wifi at Recepition.
Live in this hotel for the second time and I still recommend this.
Nice location, the price is reasonable for what you paid.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Got this hotel as part of a flight package. Two night layover in Tokyo and this hotel was the only decently priced option.

A surprisingly nice hotel. All the staff were extremely nice, and although they spoke little English, they did their best to overcome the language barrier and provide help whenever it was sought. The rooms were tiny (though that's expected in Japan), but cozy. They were clean and the washroom was also tiny but clean.

One downside was that the hotel did not have free wifi. The rooms came with a internet cable and so you were able to connect to the internet via your laptop, but the only place with free wifi was the hotel lobby, and so that was a bit of a nuisance.

The hotel is conveniently located near the Shinjuku train station, and so there were plenty of restaurants and stores to explore nearby.

Overall, a nice stay at a cozy hotel.

Room Tip: Would recommend this hotel for people who aren't looking to spend much time in their rooms while...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shinjuku
Shinjuku Granbell Hotel
Hotel Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku
Hilton Tokyo
Hilton Tokyo
#3 of 87 in Shinjuku

Been to Shinjuku Prince Hotel? Share your experiences!