“Delicious food, friendly service.”
Review of Martiniburger

Martiniburger
Ranked #1,018 of 8,773 Restaurants in Shinjuku
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch
Neighborhood: Yotsuya / Iidabashi
Description: This casual, neighborhood spot is owned by an ex-New Yorker who wanted to introduce real American-style gourmet burgers, upscale comfort food and great cocktails to his Tokyo neighbors. The dining room is simple but stylish - and bright and cheerful at lunchtime - with a six-stool bar area in back and a good selection of blues and R&B on the speakers.
Adelaide, Australia
“Delicious food, friendly service.”
Reviewed August 9, 2012 via mobile

After a week of travelling around Japan and trying our best to stick to local food, the burger craving kicked in. A quick search online had us jumping on the metro and heading out to find Martiniburger (we got off at Kagurazaka station).

We went for lunch, and tried the Fifth Avenue and the Bronx burgers, both of which were delicious. My side of Mac n Cheese was a great change from the usual fries you get elsewhere.

Everyone was really friendly - our iced tea was topped up more times than I can remember which was great considering the heat outside.

On Eliot's recommendation we took the walk down the hill to Iidabashi station and had a beer at the Canal Cafe - a great way to spend an afternoon.

We'll be back - next time we'll have to try the cheesecake!

2 Thank RosieTucker

Toronto, Canada
“Delicious, Unique Burger”
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Although apparently there are places in the U.S. that use English muffins for burgers, this is the only place I have had it that way. I understand they also have soft buns as well now for a more traditional burger.

I crave a Martini Burger often and really enjoy the atmosphere. I can't comment on the service as I know the owner, so I am always treated right, but others I have sent there always report great service in addition to the delicious food.

The location is on the edge of Kagurazaka, so to fully enjoy the neighbourhood as well as the destination, you should arrive or depart by Iidabashi Station and enjoy the long stroll up or down the hill.

• Visited August 2011
2 Thank TokyoTuds
brooklyn
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“home away from home!”
Reviewed April 17, 2012

Martini Burger you had me at hello....I mean drinks and burgers...burgers and drinks?! I can't think of a better combination for this Brooklyn local who struggles finding food that I can truly say I love when I travel overseas!

I'm so thankful for word of mouth on this one!!...So much so that I'm already mapping out my next meal on the menu as I'll be heading back to Japan this May!

Thank you Martini Burger for your excellent food, your cold Brooklyn Lager and most importantly being my home away from home. I'll see you in May!!!

• Visited November 2011
1 Thank brooklynite1982
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“A Little Bit of America in Shinjuku”
Reviewed April 16, 2012

I visit Tokyo almost every year, and always go to my favorite (i.e. "same") places, but this year I tried something new - Martiniburger (after hearing raves from a friend). It's an authentic American-style bar restaurant in Kagurazaka, which is a little bit off the beaten path, but worth the shlep! Newly opened by an ex-New Yorker, it serves de-lish gourmet burgers and upscale comfort foods. I suspect it's probably the only place like this in Japan. The interior is sleek and modern, like a restaurant, not like a typical greasy hamburger joint, with an elegant long oak bar in the back and a cool glass tile backdrop.

I had the restaurant’s signature burger, the "Martiniburger"—a flame-grilled, medium-rare burger served on a lightly toasted English muffin with, of all things, Béarnaise sauce. The burger was pretty substantial, and the mild sauce complemented the beef perfectly. My husband had the "Bronx" burger, one of the burgers from the restaurant’s "New York Burger" Collection. It's a hearty burger smothered with Colby-Jack cheese and spicy chili on a soft baked bun. Some of the other burgers in the "collection" are cleverly named the "Fifth Avenue" (w/Gouda and Cheddar cheeses + mustard aioli, yum), the "West Side" (crispy bacon, onions, barbecue sauce - whaat??) and the "Little Italy" (fresh mozzarella, spicy ketchup - badda bing!) Being a New Yorker, I appreciate seeing these names! You should see the skyscraper! The pic on the menu is over the top. It's basically a burger that has everything but the kitchen sink on it. OMG!

Besides burgers, Martiniburger offers what it calls ‘Small Plates and ‘Big Plates’ for dinner. Small plates include dishes like grilled Buffalo chicken wings, maple-smoked bacon and hummus with toasted pita. Big plates include dishes like meatloaf, vegetarian lasagna and even a big ol' steak for two. I was really surprised and impressed by their homey and familiar menu.

Of course the signature drink there is the martini, and there are quite a few to choose from. They specialize in fabulous Absolut Vodka cocktails and even offers Brooklyn Lager on tap. I felt like I was back home while dining there, although there was no wine available.

Although I didn't get to check it out during the day, I noticed that the lunch menu is big too and includes sandwiches, salad, quesadillas, homemade cakes and pies. I will have to come back to try it next time.

Oh, I forgot to mention dessert! Martiniburger’s New York cheesecake is dense, creamy and delicious - the real deal. I can't even believe they make something like this there! I was in heaven!

The owner, Eliot Bergman, told us that everything is made from scratch, from fresh ingredients. One bite and I could tell. What a juicy burger. The service was spot on too - polite and efficient. Even though English is not their first language and the place was fairly busy, they still managed to get our orders correct and served us in a timely manner with a smile.

Martiniburger is a must for visitors, expats who long for home, and for locals who want to experience authentic American food in a cool, hip atmosphere. I'm so happy I ventured out of my comfort zone and ate there. I highly recommend it!

• Visited May 2011