All reviews shin okubo station futon mattresses shower toilet jr pass yamanote line japanese hotels tatami train
Reviewed November 28, 2016 via mobile

The location was good, it was close to JR station. The traditional floor bedding was so uncomfortable (I have stayed at other traditional bedding hotels to which were very comfortable). Here you may as well have slept straight on the floor. I went and asked for more pillows and each pillow is an additional 500yen. Service was average. The rooms did not get cleaned. Towels were changed each day. A very very small bathroom.

Stayed: November 2016
Reviewed November 23, 2016

Although this hotel is not very gorgeous, the lobby and rooms are very clean and tidy. All people should take off their shoes and put them into a locker after entering the entrance of the hotel. The staff are nice and the services are good as well. The price of the room is not expensive too.
The location of this hotel is very good. First, you only need to walk five minutes to get to Shin-Okubo Station. Next, there are a few convenience stores such as 7-eleven near the hotel. Last but not least, there are many kinds of restaurants such as beef bowl along the main road.
However, Japan’s hotel has a common problem which is that their room size is usually smaller. The room of this hotel is quite small especially the bathroom, the size of the bathroom maybe too tiny for some people and I think it can only contain just one person.

Stayed: May 2016, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 28, 2016 via mobile

Just came back from Tokyo 1 week ago. The travel agency recommended us this hotel which can accommodate us - family of four in a tatami room.

This hotel is very convenient. Few minutes walking from Shin okubo station. Walking back every night to the hotel has a therapeutic effect as the area is quiet and away from the fast paced city life.

However Shin okubo station is one of the very very very few remaining old stations that has neither elevator or escalator. Only stairs. So my poor husband has to carry the luggages.

Now we talk about the room. Actually we do not mind tatami room because we have slept in one before. But this hotel provides mattresses which are extremely thin. Extra mattresses are chargeable on daily basis. By the end of 2nd day, both sides of your hips will be sore after that because we sleep on our sides. Body feels aching every time we wake up.

My daughter does not like the room because she said the tatami room smells like mayonnaise or broccoli.

They provide a stove, a microwave, a tap, a water boiler and a hair dryer. Requested for an iron but not available. Their toilet is really small, but they managed to fit a mini bathtub inside!

Overall, the experience of sleeping on those thin mattress is very poor. If the management can invest in better and thicker ones, I will certainly come back again. Otherwise I don't think I will come back again.

If you still insist on going, good luck!

Stayed: October 2016, traveled with family
2  Thank linor74
Reviewed October 20, 2016 via mobile

I thought the room was adequate and convenient for the location. I've stayed at other places in Japan with much better tatami mats so it wasn't the most comfortable but it wasn't terrible. The walls were thin and we unfortunately had a loud group nearby us but it sounded like management told them to quiet down before we had to complain. They have you lock your shoes in a locker as you walk into the hotel and don't want you to drag your suitcase into your room over the tatami mats.

Stayed: October 2016, traveled with friends
1  Thank Thecadymich
Reviewed September 27, 2016

The hotel was clean and in a quiet area. The staff were friendly in a non-demonstrative way. The room was of a reasonable size, with its own bathroom and kitchenette. The futon matresses were very thin and uncomfortable, otherwise I would have given the hotel 4 stars. Hanabi is close to cafes, restaurants, convenience stores, laundromat and station and only one stop from Shinjuku.

Room Tip: We had a room for five on the first floor (i.e. one above the ground). It was well equipped and we would recommend it to other families.
  • Stayed: September 2016, traveled with family