“Really good pizza and good lunch option”

PIZZA SALVATORE CUOMO
Ranked #86 of 9,739 Restaurants in Shinjuku
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Yotsuya / Iidabashi
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I really love my pizza and was very pleased with theirs. I do tend to stay with a more traditional pizza and the margarita I had was spot on.
For $15 I had a salad, pizza, sparkling water, and a glass of wine. It was a lunch special where you could choose a pizza or pasta, included we're the salad and drink, the wine was extra :-))
They were friendly and inviting, though did not speak English. And no, the menu was not in English either, but pointing works great.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

I am a very loyal client of this pizza chain. I mostly visit the Ningyocho, Shinjuku and Ikebukuro branches, but they all have excellent pizza. Dare I say one of the best pizzas in Japan.

Unlike most japanese style pizzerias that cater to the japanese palate with mayonnaise and egg toppings, Salvatore Cuomo prefers more traditional style italian pizzas.

The dough is a bit thin, so you either have to fold a slice to eat it, or eat it with fork and knife. The toppings are of very good quality, and just right on the amount used. My personal favorite pizzas are the Margherita with an additional "Salami Picante" (hot salami) topping, and the four cheese with honey for a slightly sweet, but not overwhelming flavor.

In addition to pizzas, they have other elements in their menu. Their Carbonara Spaghetti is very good, quite authentic, and excellent as a break from the unnecessarily creamy Japanese style Carbonara.

Their wine list is very comprehensive, as they offer wines from all over the world for all tastes and budgets. They also seem to offer subscriptions to their "wine club" for discounts on all wines.

Some stores (I'm not sure if all of them do this) set themselves as all-you-can-eat for lunch on weekends for something like 2000 yen. This can be either good or bad depending on what you are looking for.

I think the price is pretty good for the food and service, so I have no complaints, except for their delivery service I have used in two occasions.

Salvatore Cuomo offers delivery service, which you can order over the Internet or by phone. Their menu is quite similar to the eat-in version. However, service is quite slow (expect to wait 90 minutes), and the pizza arrives in a box that yields a bit of unpleasant cardboard taste. Of course, the texture is completely lost, and the flavor loses its magic. Offering good delivery pizza is very difficult, and very few stores have actually nailed it, so if you want good delivery pizza, for now I'd recommend Domino's.

2  Thank M_Rodriguez193
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Good for breakfast; too quasi-European for my taste in the evening. The typical breakfast menu: rice, fish, Japanese pickles, chicken or sausage, miso soup, corn soup, yoghurt, fruit, croissant, coffee, tea, juices.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Ate here twice when in Tokyo recently. The first time was when I arrived in-country and was looking for somewhere casual to grab some food. The atmosphere was inviting and the specials out front looked ok, so I gave it a try. I ordered the pizza margherita, which was tasted good but thin and soggy, requiring a fork to eat. The portion size was typical for Japan, small, which would be good if I were watching my figure rather than being as active as I am.

My second trip here was with a group meal that was served buffet style. There was a variety of food pre-arranged and the food was again good.

I might return here if pressed, but there are other options in the area for Italian and carbs that have a better balance of price, quantity, and quality.

Reviewed December 8, 2012

Take the DOC for a very good pizza - you can also take away or order. They have several branches accross tokyo.

Been to PIZZA SALVATORE CUOMO? Share your experiences!