“Great food in an iconic view”
Review of Kozue

Kozue
Ranked #73 of 9,177 Restaurants in Shinjuku
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Shinjuku
Reviewed March 26, 2014

Excellent choice for food, in one of the most iconic view you can get over the Tokyo skyline. Accurate service as you may expect in any Park Hyatt. Great for lunch, spectacular for dinner.

1  Thank Mau-travel

Reviewed March 20, 2014

I visited Kozue with two other work colleagues on our business trip to Tokyo.

We decided to order one of the tasting menu items.

For about 90% of the meal, everything was very good. For about 10% there were a few items that just weren't spot on - for any of the three of us and we are fairly adventurous when it comes to dining. Also, there wasn't that one "wow!" item. At these prices I expect 100% of the things to meet our expectations.

The service was also a little off. While mostly efficient, we had to asked twice for sake recommendations...the second time when it was clear our first request had been forgotten. Additionally, at the end of the meal, our server seemingly disappeared without giving us our bill,
After waiting about 10 minutes we had to search her out to get it. I'm not sure what happened.

Overall it was a very good dining experience and the food was very good, though I did expect things to be better.

1  Thank NoVAFamilyof4
Reviewed January 16, 2014

We were staying at the wonderful Park Hyatt Tokyo, which is where Kozue is located, and wanted to try their Japanese restaurant. Given the quality of everything else in the hotel, including their other restaurants, we were sure this might be a very high quality restaurant as well. But for us with American palettes, it was a very expensive adventure, and not all that satisfying. There were four of us, and one among us was a more adventuresome soul; he enjoyed his tasting experience. But the rest of us ordered from the a la carte menu hoping to pick and choose what we might enjoy. Even with that, it was a chore to get very excited about anything. Unfortunately also for two of us, our backs were to the wonderful view, so we didn't even get that for the money. Including one bottle of sake and the dinners for four people, our bill was a bit over 72,000 yen (about $700). For that sort of money, we'd have preferred to actually enjoy the experience. If you're looking for a really good dinner and willing to spend that kind of money, and have a more American palette, try the New York Grill on the 52nd floor instead!

1  Thank SusieVBP
Reviewed January 10, 2014

I was convinced not to eat at this spot- after all, we are in Tokyo, we can get great Japanese food EVERYWHERE. My husband convinced me that we should make the big splurge for our anniversary- and we had a fabulous evening. Food and service both wonderful. The view expansive. I know we paid a lot for the food, but we will only do this once!

Reviewed January 8, 2014

This is an expensive place.

I had the New Year lunch menu with only two options. We had come all this way so we took the Y9.5K instead of the cheaper Y6K.

The first dish was a starter with some blowfish meat in tofu. You see the Google map on your right? The piece is about 75% (looking top down) of the map. The blowfish is eaten during winter as apparently the poison is at the lowest. (See what I mean by this is not for everyone?)

All the fish were fresh. By that, I mean that I had eaten sashimi that somehow felt fishy. Nothing like that here.

The three of us, having ordered the same set, were served sometimes the food in one large pot/bowl/serving dish. Most eye-catching must be the sashimi that came in a kind of porcelain giant clamshell. There was a layer of ice and then some leaves and then the fish.

The food was tasty with nothing being particularly salty or sweet.

At the end, we all felt just right. Neither sated nor wishing for more.

On the service: yes, it is somewhat deficient. I had to ask for my tea to be topped up. Puzzling given that my tea came in a glass pot. I don't expect to have to remind the waitstaff in a fine dining place.

Should you go?

You can probably get the same quality of fresh seafood at a restaurant at the fish market and at a fraction of the cost. But there is no giant clamshell as your serving dish, no plating of the food, no ice below your fresh fish. And no scenic view of Tokyo.

When reserving, ask for a table with that view.