“simply divine”

Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Shinjuku
Reviewed June 28, 2013

As a french person and fine gourmet,i highly recommand it...i was sceptic about the menu and since i am picky about the food,i was scared not to like everything but it was all amazing,i chose tbe meat was melting in my mouth..the menu veru original with amazing blend of flavors...a real treat...the service was perfect,the waiters even made the effort of announcing the dishes in french..nothing more to say,you will love it!

Reviewed October 17, 2012

In the regency hyatt the setting is a bit substandard and out of the way- French headquarter is a 3 star restaurant.

Otherwise good French cuisine - traditional. Very high standard -- but there are better option in the great Tokyo.

Reviewed July 5, 2012

Never book the package with dinner at this hotel, they can't find your record and this is my own personal experience which I waited for 45 minutes for nothing and finally the restaurant made a mistake which screw up my honeymoon dinner and no one from the restaurant apologize to me.

1  Thank LittleCarrot1982
Reviewed March 14, 2012

Cuisine[s] Michel Troisgros is a satellite restaurant of Maison Troisgros in Tokyo located within Hyatt Regency. Therefore all who know the Maison whether having visited there or not would obviously expect worthiness of going to this restaurant. I, having not visited the Maison, was one of them and expected the same, but was honestly disappointed. It was a party of about 80 people including a few French diplomats and specially designed to enjoy “marriage” of wines we selected and cuisine they tried to match the wines. There were probably too many people to serve the meal at its best condition but, given reputation, most of the dishes served were disappointing. If it were just one of the unknown French restaurants in Tokyo rating could be higher but they did not deserve even a Michelin star or three folks. All dishes looked picturesque but not so fabulous nor sufficiently tasty. “Gelee de mandarine, coquillages, radis noir et basilic” to match semillon/sauvignon blanc was too sourly tasted. I was choked a couple of times. “Tranche de cabillaud cristallin, nage au laurier et fenouil” to match Chateau de Fieuzal Blanc was not bad with very tasty soapy sauce but the taste of codfish was too plain as the fish should be as of its value. A French (not English !) diplomat sitting on the same table asked a waiter for salt and pepper and, thanks to him, others followed the same. The main dish was “Joue de boeuf fondante au poivre vert, celery et betterave” and the beef was very well cooked and tasty with red wine and balsamico-like vinegar sauce and went very well with Batailley Pauillac 2000 as well as Cos d!Estournel 2000. However the quantity was disappointingly very small while I did not care the quantity of the other dishes. The cheese in “ Saint-Nectaire fermier, condiments “Agro-Dolce” was too small a portion(could finish in two bites) Generally the quantity of foods served in the restaurants in Japan is, compared with those in Europe, small as most Japanese tend to eat much less of the western foods and very badly leave the unfinished foods. So, knowing this bad habit of the Japanese the restaurant might have been avoiding such waste. Good for restaurants as the food stuff are very expensive in Japan. Not only English and Italian but also French would never be satisfied with this consideration. Services were quite premature. Serving dishes was just functional and not quite in good order and pouring of each wine was neither quite timely. In quite a few times it was observed that sommelier overlooked to pour a particular wine to a couple of guests of my table at all. The waiters and sommelier (all young Japanese) need to be trained. The restaurant showed a good gesture to please guests, mostly Japanese, by letting Michel Troisgros himself flying from Roanne make a greeting speech and allowing him being taken photographs with the guests. There was a long queue of the guests with camera and mobile making unbearable noise. I would have rather preferred better cuisine and services in quieter circumstances. Is it unfair to review a restaurant by going there in a big party ?

Reviewed December 15, 2011

I reserved this like 2 months before the actual visit. From the time they called me for the first time to confirm my reservation, and the second time few days before my coming, I was excited to eat in this restaurant. And finally when the day came, my reservation was more than worth it.

I had a very good table, big and not cramped. A very good waiter assigned to us was very knowledgeable about the menu. We dynamically exchanged our views on the food, and our questions rightfully answered. One sign that they were really serious (for me).

We got the lunch course, but unfortunately we had to contend with tonic water for we just detoured from the conference we were attending.

For the course we had:

starters to excite the palate- samosa with ricotta, nah flakes, soup with nori and fruits... a play of textures, and sours to excite the stomach

bread basket (five kinds) - rye and herb were my personal choices... one came with cocoa though ( did not try). fresh light home made butter...

pumpkin soup - delicately fine, creamy but not too imposing. the espuma of garlic, hazelnut for the twist, sour note of mustard and shallots.

squid, apple and almond slivers in nero sauce... buttery but never the trace of the invigorating seafood taste. i like it personally. sour note. spinach and bacon slabs for the extending the textures... the squid very tender not over cooked.

Monkfish - the way they transformed the fish (considering it really is one of the ugliest fish around) into something visually exciting and the taste was a miracle. perfectly pan seared and baked, tender not rubbery, lets you appreciate the delicate flavor. This is in conjuncture with salad greens and olives. perfect balance of flavors. the sauce is of orange, nuts, pears, citrus --- fruit nage composition.

Challan duckling in civet stew and parsnip - I am very critical with ducks... I tend to be sensitive with the gamey flavor. But this one is just right... the meat very tender, parsnip paste provided balance of texture as well as beets, carrots. along with the civet is a well balanced and very harmonious dish.

Pre-dessert- sorbet which i recall vanilla and some aliginates...but was effective in cleansing the palate

Sabirano and mascarpone, toffee of soy sauce - I vividly remember a friend's recipe of putting soy sauce in the flour-less chocolate cake recipe... I found the same technique in their dessert presentation, and it really give chocolate a multi-dimensional character. Soy sauce umami...Of course we were careful with starting off the least intense of the chocolates going into the most intense so as to appreciate all the chocolate organoleptics...

To finish, i ordered my usual post meal espresso... and they even have some sweets after... raspberry mini-tart, strawberry mousse, chocolate

My comment though in general is the food has a lot of sour fruity notes...I am assuming that this is the chef's signature to use fruits for his sauces. Other that that we truly had an enlightening gastronomic tryst...