“Very nice if you want to take the Fugu plunge”

Torafugutei, Shinjuku Annex
Ranked #472 of 8,816 Restaurants in Shinjuku
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Shinjuku
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Very nice if you want to take the Fugu plunge”
Reviewed April 2, 2014

I'm not a Fugu virgin, but my cousin was an really wanted to try fugu, so we found Torafugutei, and we were not dissapointed.

I've generally only had Fugu Nabe, i've never had fugu sashimi or fugu infused sake, so the experience was very novel to me. We ordered the general Fugu course (it had fugu sashimi, cold fugu salad, fugu karaage, and fugu nabe), would have liked to try the shirako, but it wasn't available at the time. the nabe was cooked right in front of you at the table (fyi, if you're squeemish, don't look at the pieces of fugu when it arrives at the table because it'll still be breathing). once the nabe was finished, they brought cooked rice and egg to the table and we had a nice okayu course. at the end, we rounded everything out with a nice fugu sake (it tasted like nicely warmed sake with just a touch of dried fish at the end).

It was a novel experience and one that you have to do if you go to japan.

Fyi. Despite the hype, fugu dosen't taste all that different from any other delicate white fleshed fish. they say you feel tingling...but if you do feel tingling you better get yourself to the hospital and on a respirator stat.

• Visited March 2014
5 Thank Kaminome75

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Lisbon, Portugal
“Definitely an experience”
Reviewed March 19, 2014

If you go to Tokyo you have to try Fugu.
The fish itself is far from being the best fish in the whole wide world, it's qualities are definitely hyped, although the delicate flavour is nice the texture is not if you ask me.
And if you want to try Fugu Torafugu tei is both affordable and a great place to go. The service is impecable, the food preparation is amazing and you can try Fugu in every possible way.
Remember to make a reservation, the place was crowded when I got there and I ended up eating at the balcony facing the Sushi Master, this was actually a plus for me, getting to watch the old guy working. But should you go with more people and probably you won't get seated.

• Visited March 2014
4 Thank Joao_PT
Australia
“Great experience”
Reviewed November 26, 2013

Friendly,helpful staff with really fresh fugu. I recommend the charcoal grilled option - the fish was so fresh it was still moving (I tried sashimi, skin, deep fried and charcoal).

Overall the place was professional and friendly. A great experience.

• Visited November 2013
3 Thank John67-7
Singapore, Singapore
“Good Fugu Experience”
Reviewed October 19, 2013

The staff were patient and explained to us how to eat each dish. The complimentary roasted tea was freshly made for each refill. You could tell that the Fugu was fresh as some parts were still quivering.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Cylindergal
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent place to try fugu in Japan”
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I visited the Ueno branch of this restaurant and would recommend it as a place to try fugu. Although the fish was not to my taste (actually, this is a huge understatement!), the restaurant staff, preparation and service were excellent. Not sure if I'm allowed to link to my blog, but if so, there is a full review and pictures here: http://indianajo.com/2013/04/eating-fugu-in-japan.html

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank JoFitzsimons

Been to Torafugutei, Shinjuku Annex? Share your experiences!