“Nice surprise”

Ranked #21 of 81 Hotels / Ryokan in Shinjuku
Barcelona
“Nice surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2010

If there is a word for that define the rooms are: spacious (compared to the japanese standard size, not to european ones). New and crystal clean rooms, good service. In a nice neibourghood; there are many japanese restaurants in a close street (just 100 mts). Only bad point: the buffet breckfast is quite deceiving.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
montreal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2010

I stayed at this hotel for 4 days during my stay in tokyo, I loved every second of it! The hotel is about 5 minutes from from the metro station and 15 minutes walk to the fabolous shinjukugyoen. I loved the staff, they spoke english efficiently, they were very helpful. Housekeeping comes in everyday. Room is comfortable and cozy. All amenities included. I will definitely come back here again. On my last day, I gave the staff cookies and bread because they were just accomodating and easily approchable. Restaurants and Convenient stores are just outside the hotel door.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2010

This hotel was wonderful. It was only mere minutes, literally across the street, from Yotsuya Station which means that even with heavy luggage you should be able to manage getting across the street and down one block without paying for a cab. Being that close to a station was perfect AND you can use your JR pass there too! The hotel itself was beautiful: clean, elegant, comfortable and secure. The staff were quite pleasant and the hotel offers a few delightful amentities such as free, cold water bottles in the fridge, free tea, a humidifier along with an air purifier and even facial steamers! They are also affiliated with nearby restaurants who offer room service as well. The little Indian restaurant down the street is DELICIOUS. For 2 people with twin beds the room is a bit small but we learned that seems to be a simple fact in Japan, however, it does not reduce the beauty of the room at all. The bathroom is lovely and the beds are comfortable. Despite being on what looks like a main road we did not notice any traffic noise whatsoever and were on only the 3rd floor. For about $10 you can enjoy a very good buffet breakfast at their affiliated Italian restaurant which we did for simple convenience but you may be able to find cheaper breakfast elsewhere. All in all it was a wonderful stay and I would absolutely stay here or at one of their other hotels again! Oh, the only complaint I had is that there is no forgiveness for late check out even by an hour or less. If you're not gone by 11am you will be charged a fee.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2010

We stayed in two different hotels during our stay and Yotsuya was our favorite. The staff are very friendly. I love the location of this hotel. Three minutes from Yotsuya station which makes it very convenient to get anywhere. The small streets behind the hotel are filled with a variety of restaurants (Japanese, Mexican, Korean, and Indian). It is also close to convenient stores and bakeries, the post office (to access an international ATM), and a laundrymat. A free LAN internet is available. If you did not bring your own laptop, you can rent one for $10USD per night.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kjj220
Cornwall
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2010

We stayed here for our first trip to Tokyo and found it a very convenient hotel. It is just a short walk from Yotsuya station, perfect for getting around! It takes about 15-20 mins to walk to Shinjuku station too. There are plenty of small supermarkets and restaurants around the hotel.
We had a bit of trouble checking in, after spelling our surname out to the staff they still got us mixed up with someone else who was staying one less night. This was a bit frustrating after a long journey from the UK. Its not like we even have a really difficult surname! The problem was eventually rectified and the staff were very apologetic.
The rooms were larger than I expected after reading many reviews where people have complained about the size of Japanese hotel rooms. It was a little smaller than most European or American rooms but it was perfectly sized for the two of us, and our big rucksacks! I couldn't get used to the pillows though!! Much harder than I am used too!
Overall an excellent hotel in a good location.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2010

I stayed at the Mitsui Garden Hotel Yotsuya for four nights and was so impressed. The twin room I booked was suprisingly spacious and we were able to fit mine and my friend's luggage with no problems. The bathroom was large and had large pump bottles for soap, shampoo, and conditioner which I regularly used.

The hotel is located 2 blocks from Tokyo metro and JR lines which was really convienent. There were also plenty of restaurants in the area that serve a variety of foods.

I can't say enough good things about the front desk staff. Their English skills were very proficient. They recommended restaurants for my friend and I to eat and printed directions for us.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank mmirn415
Long Island City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2010

I booked ahead of time on agoda.com and received an "early bird discount rate" for a comfort double room. It was very well-priced. My main concern was that I did NOT want a room for a single person that would charge slightly more for 2 people. I wanted a true double bed room for a decent price, which was a difficult find. However, I found this at Mitsui Garden Hotel in Yotsuya and I was extremely happy with my choice.

From Narita airport, if you are a foreigner (not a Japanese citizen), the JR East office has a NIX ticket + Suica card with 1500Y for 3500Y. The normal going rate for the NIX ticket, which is the Narita express train from Narita to Tokyo, is ~5000Y. So, this is definitely worth it. The Suica is a transportation card you can use to pay for your rides around Tokyo and many stores even accept it. You can even return it at the end for a refund, less 10%. I ended up using up all of the Suica card on trains.

Take the Narita express to Shinjuku station. Transfer to the Chuo Rapid Line (Orange) to Yotsuya station, one stop. Also note that there is another Yotsuya station right across the street, that is for different lines you can use. Once you get out of the station, look up for the KFC sign. Walk in that direction and the hotel is literally 2 blocks away. The location of this hotel is amazing. It is one stop from Shinjuku, a couple of stops from Harajuku, and all of the various neighborhoods are easily and quickly reachable (Ginza, Tsukiji, Roppongi, etc).

The lobby is very well-appointed and simple. There was an employee that spoke English fairly well. To use the elevator, you have to use your card to activate it, so have it ready. As noted previously, the front door is locked b/t 12AM - 6AM, so you will need your card to be let into the hotel. Though, Yotsuya is so safe and quiet, it is not necessary and I think they do it to make hotel guests feel extra, extra safe (though this is again, not the least bit of a concern).

Upon reaching the room, if you have not stayed in metropolitan Asian cities before, you will think it's tiny. However, this hotel makes efficient and creative use of space. The floors are a light wood, the bathroom is a separate closet enclosure, the shower/bath is a separate room with a window that opens into the room, and the bed faces out towards the huge window facing the main road. There is a closet, but it will not fit luggage. It's enough to hang a few items and put away your shoes. The TV is mounted above a small desk, and there is a small sofa next to the desk. The desk has pull out safe and a small fridge. The sink is also located in a small enclave, with hair dryer, a multitude of toiletries, and towels. The shower/bath room has shampoo, conditioner and body wash. The water pressure was great. The toilet was awesome! After I learned to use the controls, I loved that it flushed on its own when you were done! You will hear the sensor turn on when you walk into the room or when you approach it. The best toilet, ever.

The bed is very comfortable and I rested well after a long flight to Tokyo. The pillows have the beads in them which I love, but I think you can flip the pillow to the other side and it is the feathery pillow that Westerners may be more accustomed to. If you don't want your room cleaned, the cleaning ladies will leave a bag for you at your door with extra towels, robes, toiletries.

There is internet connection, but only LAN and not wireless. It is free and works well. I was only able to find one channel with English, which I believe was BBC.

Lastly, there are plenty of places to eat in Yotsuya. This area is known to be a bit of a foodie haven, so don't be afraid to walk behind the hotel on the small streets and explore. There are all types of cuisines nearby - Japanese, French, Indian, Italian, etc. Because I had jetlag, there were times I was up before 7AM and was dying for a meal. A lot of the breakfast places do not open until 7AM and later on the weekends. There are a number of breakfast places, I loved Paul and Saint Marc's Cafe. So, if you are going to battle jetlag, I suggest picking up some pastries the day before. There are also a number of convenient stores, drug stores, supermarkets, etc. It is not a problem to pick up things you may have forgotten.

Overall, I absolutely loved my stay at Mitsui Garden Yotsuya and would wholeheartedly recommend this place to others. I can't think of a single fault.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
4 Thank queenbee19
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shinjuku
Hotel Sunroute Higashi Shinjuku
Shinjuku Prince Hotel
#14 of 81 in Shinjuku
Citadines Shinjuku Tokyo
Hotel Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku

Been to Mitsui Garden Hotel Yotsuya? Share your experiences!