Open today: Closed
Review Highlights
Best overseas trip of my life

In October 2018, my wife and I booked a 16 day custom tour with JCT. We traveled between Tokyo... read more

Reviewed yesterday
sjor23
Cherry Blossoms Galore

Spent two wonderful weeks in Japan seeing the beautiful cherry blossom trees in bloom. Perfect... read more

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
janetkiwi

All reviews his knowledge small group hotel accommodation from place to place train travel group tour day trip train system fantastic tour an amazing experience cherry blossom trees wendy koji jct takayama ryokan itinerary
Selected filters
Reviewed November 16, 2017

Following a five days by ourselves in Tokyo (including Typhoon Lan), we met up with Patrick and set off by rail to Takayama. Great train trip, with impressive mountain scenes and many hydro electricity generating facilities.
Takayama overnight accommodation was fine.
Next morning, Patrick took us on a very interesting walking tour, before heading off to Kanazawa. A great day with very fine accommodation overnight.
Next day off to Kyoto,
Patrick's knowledge of the rail system, railway stations (where the escalators rise and fall!) made traveling with our medium wheeled cases far less traumatic for a couple of 77 year old (relatively fit) Australian tourists. Patrick excelled in his management of all our rail and subway travel!
Kyoto railway station is most impressive (and new). Our hotel was close by and despite undergoing renovations, proved very comfortable.
A further talent of Patrick's, lay in his knowledge of local eateries. One of which was on the 7 floor of a shopping mall. Doubt that we'd have ever found several without his guidance. Interesting and very tasty food!
Patrick's arranging of a fine Japanese whisky tasting during half-price Happy Hour in our hotel was the highlight of my 78th.
Two standouts; the Inari Fushimi Shinto shrine (10,000 Torii gates) in Kyoto and a visit the following day to Nara. Passing showers did not detract from the visit.
All in all an excellent 6 day 5 night mini tour closing with a Shinansen trip back to Shinagawa, then onto Narita airport to return to Perth, Western Australia.

1  Thank Graeme C
JapanCustomTours, Owner at Japan Custom Tours, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2017

Graeme and Wendy, it was a real pleasure to show you a slice of Japan. We did a lot in a short trip. With the "whiskey tasting" i was able to share my knowledge of fine Japanese whiskies with someone that really appreciated it and it was a fitting occassion (I priced some of them today at a store I know - we got a bargain!! A really serious discount). Retracing some of our tour steps currently and still remebering your tour fondly. Thank you.

Reviewed November 12, 2017

Was our holiday excellent? No, it wasn’t, it was INSANELY excellent. The tour met all our expectations and much more. It was tailored to meet all demands.
Our guides, Wendy, Koji and Patrick could not be more kind, friendly, patient, helpful and knowledgeable.
Hotel accommodation was luxurious.
We have no reservations recommending the Japan Custom Tour agency.

4  Thank drwsoszka
Reviewed October 23, 2017

My partner and I were looking to get married in Japan during our holiday in October. After finding Patrick and his company on a trip advisor forum we approached him to create the ultimate custom tour.

Patrick communicated with us via email in advance- taking on board our tight schedule. He made everything really simple. Then accompanied us to various appointments across Tokyo.

I am pleased to say we were successfully married in Tokyo. Thank you Patrick- we could not have done it without you!!

I would highly recommend Patrick to arrange your logistics!

Date of experience: October 2017

Rachael and Ian, you both looked great for your wedding day in Tokyo. As our 2nd "wedding" it was interesting how the requirements changed so much in just a year, but we were well prepared and that preparation paid off. While it was a very niche "tour" it was great you got to see Japan while we looked after the documentation side of things here in Tokyo. Maybe we will see you when you visit next time.

Reviewed October 9, 2017

If you are planning a visit to Japan and need some help with the logistics and language then this is the company for you (unless you really like being on a bus in a large group). We recently completed the 4 week grand tour of Japan with Patrick and can honestly say we have never had such an easy and stress-free holiday. The train travel is a marvel and being just ourselves there was plenty of opportunity to vary the itinerary and do something different. We had experiences we would have struggled to find had we been on our own. What we learned with Patrick did mean we were more than comfortable looking after ourselves for our add-on week in Tokyo.

Date of experience: September 2017
Reviewed September 4, 2017

In late March we did the first of Patrick Harnett's cherry blossom tours in Japan. I found him excellent for all the pre tour organisation...nothing was a problem and everything was taken into account. Amazingly most of my enquiries were responded to within hours. The cherry blossom was a little later than expected but had no impact on our trip...we saw beautiful plum blossom in many gorgeous gardens earlier in the trip, and some stunning cherry blossom towards the end. The mix of old and new in every aspect of Japanese life was a highlight. I loved the stress free manner in which we moved from place to place with a great mix of experiences. The food was a highlight..and the art...and the architecture, gardens...etc. Kanazawa was a highlight in the tour we took. Japan is a photographers delight...and I am very keen to go back to see the autumn colours one day. If I do I will spend more time researching the food and restaurants in the places we go to - to expand our knowledge and experiences. Highly recommend Patrick and Japan Custom Tours.

Date of experience: March 2017