“Clean efficient lodging”

Hundred Stay Tokyo Shinjuku
Ranked #16 of 87 Hotels / Ryokan in Shinjuku
Reviewed July 7, 2013

The hundred stays hotel is a average standard accommodation in Japan. The room was basic but not a bad size for Japan. Clean with all provided toiletries. First time visitors to this country will find it quite small. There was very basic facilities here, the best being a small basic but decent modern gym. The cafeteria was open for breakfast only and the breakfast itself was quite poor beyond belief , rice, some cornflakes, bread and croissant not much else, not worth getting up for. That matters not as there are enough places to go to around the area for substantial dining.

There was a laundry in another part of the basement building. I used it once due to the poor dryers. Therefore I used the local laundry service that is available through the concierge.

One of the hotels better points was that the staff here were very helpful and courteous with good English. I chose this hotel for the price and the gym, but neither, for me, compensated for the location. The local metro is Ukubo, one stop from the main, extremely busy and overpopulated Shinjuku station. Its about a 25 minute, maybe more walk to the centre hub of Shinjuku or the Main Station.

Not a bad little hotel for those who need to stay in this area and other rooms did seeme quite large and good for families. I moved early to a more convenient site for me near Roppongi.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed June 16, 2013

Stayed their for two nights recently.

Pro's

- Location. Very close to two underground stations and to Shinjuku Station (1 stop on metro).
- Large accommodation including sitting room, kitchenette. Comfy and clean. Decor as you would expect from a $100 a night room (although they did have a BOSE sound system and iPod docking station)
- Would be good for a couple or with small kids
- They have a gym (limited but half decent)
- Inexpensive

Con's

- Breakfast is poor. I did't bother the two days I was there. There are local convenience stores so I went and bought some eggs, bread and vegetables and as you have a kitchen made my own.

So on balance a pretty good find and above average for a three star hotel. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 1, 2013

I spent 5 days in Tokyo on my own and didn't want to be too far outside the city center because I didn't want to spend too much time to get to the various places I wanted to visit. But when I was looking at reviews to find a place to stay, I came to the conclusion that the more you get down in the prices, the less space you will have. The most common comment was nice hotel but very small room with even no space to open your suitcase. And then I found Hundred Stays, perfectly located in Shinjuku convenient but not in the busy part. I booked as an early bird for a Studio-Superior-Twin and when I arrived I got upgraded, so I ended up in spacious studio for 4 adults with kitchen corner, washing machine, 80+ square meters ! The hotel is not a leisure hotel so don't expect to have "an atmosphere" but you didn't came to spend your time in the hotel, no ?
My room was in the 14th floor "only" but no rooms are below the 12th floor so no problem with street noise or train passing. And within 5 mns walking, restaurants and super markets when you need something. The very good point is that within 10 mns walking your are at Shinjuku main stations for everything : train, metro, busses, huge shopping centers, 1.000 of restaurants and plenty of little shops in the side alleys. I got a daily passenger on the Yamanote Line which is circling in Tokyo and allowed me to go very easily around the big city as well as to outside points.
One negative point : the carpet floor in my studio had coffee been splashed on from a previous guest and it hadn't been cleaned, I notified it to the reception desk. It has been taken care of the same afternoon. And the reception people are nice and helpfull.
My conclusion : absolutely good value for the place and the location.

Room Tip: rooms all located above 12th floor
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Claude G
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Ah the old online hotel pictures, how they can be deceiving. Look, this hotel was by no means terrible. The room was nice, and clean and spacious - their breakfasts are terrible, stale croissants and saccharine jam - the service from the front desk was average bordering on poor but its proximity to Okubo station means it is good if you dont plan on staying in the room too much. free laundry was handy but the wi fi was terrible if you are reliant on that. $500 AUD for 3 nights means its probably on the expensive side for tokyo as well...

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Chris L
Reviewed May 17, 2013

We booked the Room Type: Studio-Superior-Double.
The hotel was just down the road from Ukubo train station - one stop from Shinjuku station.
We were on the 19th floor facing away from the train line and not near the lift.
The room was adequate, the bed was a little hard but we managed to get a good night sleep.
The tessco mini mart is closed but there is the Family Mart just down the road.
Matercard is no longer accepted at the 7/11 stores. The post office can help you out with their ATM to get out any cash you need.The staff at the apartment spoke good english and tourist guides were availble in english.
Breakfast was average - corn flakes, yogurt, bread roll / sweet bread,croissant and tea & coffee, but enough to get your day started.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank GreyNomads888
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I stayed in a Superior Double room for 6 nights in February/March 2013 while doing research for my PhD. It was great value at less than $100 a night for the deal I got, and my room was large for Tokyo – large enough for me to do an interview with 3 people at one time! I was also on a fairly high floor so had a nice view of Tokyo. Front desk staff were fairly reserved but efficient. I left some lost property in my room and they kept it for 2 months until I returned!
Pros: Good value. Large rooms, and they're quiet if you're on a higher floor. Nice views. The laundry in the basement was really handy.
Cons: Slightly dated decor and old carpet... but not that noticeable. Although it's located near two train stations and easy to get around, there's not much to do within walking distance of this hotel. Sure, Shinjuku is a 20-minute walk away, but Shinjuku isn't nearly as much fun as Shibuya. My Japanese friends laughed when I told them I was staying in Okubo.
I'd class this as a good business hotel, but the location isn't ideal for tourists. I'd stay here again if I had business in Shinjuku.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors are quieter and have good views.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank peechan99
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Right near Okubo station and a couple of mins walk from Shin Okubo Station - this is one stop from Shinjuku and on the same line as Shibuya - Harajuku etc, also it was a lot quieter up here

Cons:
- Big rooms - Mt Fuji view was a surprise!
- Shinjuku is an extremely busy station, so getting off at Okubo or Shin Okubo is so much easier
- Right near Korea town - this was another surprise after being out and about all day you can go 2 mins down the street and find lots of really good restaurants - and there are a few street food places that serve these great pancakes with cheese or honey, coffee shops and Mcdonalds.
- Breakfast was included but we preferred to go out - never actually went near there (our choice)
- Walk to Shinjuku maybe 10mins one straight street which was easy

We chose this place purely cos the rooms were bigger - only reason I'm not giving a 5 is that I normally stay in International chains - rooms weren't bad, they were clean modern, just a little basic in decoration...this is just personal preference

Room Tip: Fuji view - ask for it!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple