“Small but perfectly clean”

E Hotel Higashi Shinjuku
Ranked #21 of 87 Hotels / Ryokan in Shinjuku
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I booked a single room but was given a doubled bed room for the same price. The room was very small which I expected in Tokyo, But for £50gbp per night it was fine. The bathroom was very very small but functional. Wifi worked through out the hotel on all my devices. Great location right next to a subway station. A seven eleven across the road with an ATM which accepts international credit/debit cards, A hard service to find in Tokyo. The main Shinjuku JR station is around a 15 minute walk away and was find to carry luggage to/from. Staff at front desk spoke English and gladly stored my luggage when I checked out, for later collection.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank DENXIL
イーホテル東新宿, フロント オフィス マネージャー at E Hotel Higashi Shinjuku, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2013

Thank you for the compliment and giving us full of helpful information for the viewer.
I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay at E Hotel Higashi Shinjuku.
We are looking forward to serving again.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

Somehow my two teen sons & I were given the top floor, center room (3 nights) which was plenty of space for us. We had 4 windows and enjoyed looking at the skyline as well as the traffic below. Once we saw a mini-parade of some kind going by.
Like other reviewers, we also heard sirens a number of times. Turns out, the rescue hq is two doors down from the McDonald's across the street. We just accepted it as part of city life.
The room door opens by holding the card up to the door. Wow! Downstairs likes you to leave the key w/them when you go out which is just one of those rules...
We had 2 larger queen-sized beds shoved together. Don't know what other rooms have.
Bathroom was indeed small--I'd say airplane-sized w/deep tub. And plastic. I had to remind my boys to go easy on the construction! We felt it was part of our Tokyo adventure.
We never used the slippers & robes and even though we didn't need them, every day we were left a bag of fresh towels & robes. Wow! We liked the 'refresh' spray by the hangers.
Interesting how the basic furniture & tv is all screwed into the floor & wall. Probably good idea for earthquakes.
Little fridge under desk is turned on by pushing a button. Energy saving smart!
English instructions on using room remote was very helpful.
Weren't sure if we were allowed to use the stairs so going up & down to the top floor via elevator took patience. Also, doing the laundry on the 3rd floor (?) got me on the elevator a number of times. It's a wash/dry all-in-one machine but after the 3rd 'dry' I hung some items on the room's a/c & turned on the heat a bit. Worked quickly.
A couple times we bought the vouchers for breakfast next door. The 'American food-only' son liked the french toast. (Again, McD's is across the street & there's convenience stores.)
At first, we understood that we couldn't receive outside calls but eventually my husband was able to get through the front desk.
Yes, the subway station is about 10 steps from the hotel but not fun w/baggage. Lots of stairs! The train employees were always very friendly.
Computers downstairs in the lobby (we had our rental wifi from Narita Airport) and luggage can be left there if checkout time doesn't coincide with your itinerary.
I'd stay here again if we can get a center room!

Room Tip: See if you can get a 'center' room. I think they're larger than the others. They're...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank willrunforcannoli

I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay at E Hotel Higashi Shinjuku.
We are looking forward to serving again.

Reviewed February 7, 2013

We chose this hotel mainly for the location which was very convenient. The Hotel was right out next to the A1 exit. We stayed at this hotel for 3 days. The rooms are small, we literally struggled to get our two suitcases in the room with us, but the bed was warm and comfortable and the room came with complimentary shampoo and body wash.
We stay at this hotel again.

2  Thank laurasphotos
イーホテル東新宿, 支配人 at E Hotel Higashi Shinjuku, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2013

Thank you very much for your stay in my hotel and comment at Trip Advisor. I am looking forward to seeing you here when your next stay. Please contact us by hotel e-mail if you have any question.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

We stayed here three times over our three weeks in Japan and although the rooms are small, they are very comfortable and provide everything you need! (We found putting your luggage on the long bench next to the TV worked well to keep it out of the way!)

The hotel is great value for money and in a great location, just next to the subway exit A1 on the Oedo Line, but if you're up for exploring, Shinjuku main station about a 15-20 minute walk away. There is also a McDonald's right across the road which provides a good landmark and a 7/11 and Lawson convenient store nearby. Lots of restaurants are close and the staff are willing to help you find something in particular.

I've read a lot of reviews complaining about the sirens from a nearby hospital(?), however, we noticed the sirens but they never bothered us. The rooms have heavy curtains that keep out all the light and the beds are super comfy. Also, we never spent too long in the hotel anyway because we were out most of the time. Overall, we found this hotel great and very convenient and we would definitely stay here again!

1  Thank chloe-eloise

Thank you for your stay and comment on Trip Advisor. I belive you could enjoy your Tokyo Sighseeing. If you have a chance to come back Tokyo, please stay here and contact me at front desk.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

so far I found always tripdavisor usefull for good advices and report.
I cannot say the same here: quite good comments w.r.t. what I found.

PROs:
- The hotel is easily accessible, the only good point.
CONs:
- noisy (too much, sorry) to sleep. not sound proof at all and you count any single ambulance passing by on the street
- too small. 20 cm more in the room would make an enormous difference. I slept with my luggage on the bed (good that I was traveling alone, without my wife or she would have been crazy)
- not too clean. Do not use slippers and robe !
- read all the instruction before you get into the room: find switches is not easy
- no safe. leave your stuff at your risk

Room Tip: I am afraid you have no chance. The hotel has been under designed and the spaces between pillars p...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank mzmffei

Thank you for your comment on Tripadvisor page.
Your opinions and comments are important to us.
We keep your information for our future guidance.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

The rooms are exceptionally small but this is made up by the friendly staff, cleanliness, modernity and of course the location. The entrance to the metro is literally next door (A1 exit) and the bright lights of Shinjuku and train station are just a short stroll away. This was an excellent base for exploring Tokyo because you can get just about anywhere from Shinjuku station. The small rooms were not a problem as we were out all day and only returned to the hotel to sleep and shower.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the upper floors as the surrounding area is busy well into the night.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for the compliment.
We have received positive feedback from people about the great location.
It is really excellent base for exploring Tokyo as you said.
We are looking forward to serving you next time.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

Tiny room - but it's Tokyo and the rooms cheap, what else would you expect?? Barely enough room for a suitcase, but the room is perfect for single travellers or those who only want a room to sleep in.
Aside from being tiny was modern, clean and in a great location.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo

Thank you for your comment on Tripadvisor page.
We use high quality Simmons bed (140cm) for the single room which are reputed.
The location and this environment is really good for single travellers as you said.
Again, thank you for staying at E Hotel Higashi Shinjuku.
We are looking forward to serving you next time.