“Good but small”

E Hotel Higashi Shinjuku
Ranked #21 of 84 Hotels / Ryokan in Shinjuku
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for 10 nights. We are small people so the double bed was fine for us. The room was cleaned every day, inlcuding the bathroom, towels were clean everyday. There is not actually any room for your stuff in the bathrooms, the're very small. You get robes and slippers, tea, coffee, fridge space for our breakfast sandwiches, milk and cake. We didn't have English tv, we watched japan in the Olympic games, fine in Japanese. No wardrobe but a few hangers on the wall. We had soft travel bags so they fit ok. The hotel can give you money off vouchers for the coffee/sandwich shop next to it. There are computer and printer in reception. There's wifi in the rooms. there were no bad smells, noto so much noise - there was actually water running all night noise, maybe i'm imune, i managed to sleep ok. It is on top of the train station and minutes from downtown Shinjuku. The area is full of restaurants of all kinds, good to stop into on hyou way home from the bar.

Room Tip: didn' see all rooms. I thnk runing water noise is probably eveywere. maybe ask for non smoking...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank fawcarol2005

Reviewed August 4, 2012

off course the rooms are small, everything in Tokyo is small( besides the size of the actual city itself), but this a good
hotel where you get good value for your money. I stayed there for 3 nights in a single room, on the 5th floor. the room had a 120 cm bed, little desk, tea kettle, tv,a tiny bathroom equipped with a new brush,toothbrush,razer and bathrobe every day. the location is right next to subway station Higashi-Shinjuku (exit A2,turn right at the exit), it's also near a convenient store that is open 24/7,for those who like McDonald there's one across the street, also open 24/7. The major station Shinjuku,where most lines leave from, is not far,15 min maybe. There's a very nice area called Golden Gai, 5-10 min from the hotel, where there are many small bars (only place for 3-7 people at a time) in a labyrinth of small alleys, which I really recommend. It may seem a little scary, but I was a solo woman traveling alone and felt completely safe,even very late.
So the only down sides I can come up with must be that the check in isn't before 3:00 PM ( I arrived 11:00 AM after a 12 hours flight but still couldn't check in before 3:00 PM), also the pillow was very hard. So if you don't like small rooms don't book it, if you just need a room to sleep for a good price and looks nice, book it! I would absolutely go back.

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank NadineOslo
Reviewed August 2, 2012

A very small room- no space for suitcases so you have to climb over them and the shower room is even smaller but if you are just looking for a base whilst you go out for the day this place is fine. The rooms did smell badly of cigarette smoke, and had nowhere to hang your clothes but for the price you cannot really complain. There was a set of computers in the lobby which were free to use and the reception staff could speak English and were very helpful. The Hotel could not be closer to a subway station and is very close the the Golden Gai area, it is about a 15-20min walk to Shinjuku station, if I were to go again I would probably stay a little closer to Shinjuku station as this is where many restaurants can be found.

Reviewed July 31, 2012

The hotel is in a decent location. The rooms are tiny but clean (I was traveling solo so the size was fine for me...I'm also short but anyone nearing or over 6 feet will likely not fit in the bed). Perhaps I am spoiled given I arrived in Tokyo from Vietnam and Malaysia where, for less than $20/night you can find an immaculate, amenity filled room where the staff goes out of their way to assist you but the staff here were completely indifferent. They will not allow check in before 3pm even when the room is ready unless you pay 50% of the room rate (of 100% before 11am). I asked for help calling a tour company and they pointed to the payphone. I was, of course, happy to pay for the call but speaking no Japanese I had hoped they may assist me in the conversation but that was apparently not part of the job description. There was a great sushi place (and pretty inexpensive) just two blocks away which was delightful and the subway station next door, while not a main station, was still awfully convenient. In short, if you get a good deal ($80/night was mine) it is a good option for the money. Otherwise there are many better options that charge slightly more but have far more extensive offerings as well.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Good, clean hotel right by Shinjuku Station line. There is a bakery and convenience store right next to hotel front door that was great for getting water, beer and snacks for the room. The rooms were very small (my husband and I really did not mind the smallness of the rooms, they were kinda cozy!). The rooms provided the basics:semi-comfortable bed, TV, wireless internet and a desk. We had to move the desk chair to the hall just so we could fit our 2 backpacks in the room. Only one of us could fit in the bathroom at a time. The shower was very good though, great water pressure and they provided Shiseido body wash and shampoo. We had a decent street view and did not mind the street noise, though we could hear several sirens throughout the night. Would definitely stay here again!

Reviewed July 29, 2012

Rooms are clean and tidy enough, but there is so little space between the bed and desk and no room to store anything - no good for two people away for two weeks. Bathroom was tiny too, and tap shared between shower and sink, so you can't use both at the same time.
Also, wired broadband hardly ever worked and when we asked about it there was no urgency to sort it out for us.
Average at best.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Richard D
Reviewed July 25, 2012

We use tripadvisor religiously to book every hotel and despite reading every review for this hotel that comments on the tiny rooms we still went ahead and booked it. Having recently stayed in Hong Kong in what we thought was the smallest room in the world we were stunned to find that this hotel room was even smaller. My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights on our first visit to Tokyo, and with my husband being 6'7" tall he could lie on the bed and touch both walls with his arms......that's how small the rooms are. The bathroom was a struggle for myself to fit in, let alone my husband who couldn't fit in the shower. It was tiny and I have stayed in caravans with more space. I personally felt very claustrophobic and there was no space on the floor for both our bags. Also you can hear sirens from the emergency services throughout the night.

All else aside I feel bad for scoring this hotel this low as everything else was great, but with the tiny rooms it can't possibly score higher in my books.The location is excellent. 5 steps from exit A1 at Higashi Shinjuku station, 10 mins walk from main Shinjuku area, a coffee shop below, McDonalds across the road and many 24 hour convenience stores surrounding.

The rooms itself were spotlessly clean and modern, they had every amenity you could need. There was also free wifi throughout. They also stored our bags after checkout as we had a late flight.

Would we stay again???? I don't know to be honest as have no other comparison in Tokyo. I wouldn't rule out returning here if the price was low but please don't loose sight of the word small if you do stay here. I was frustrated at how much floor space there was in the corridor on every level, surely this would have been better used in increasing the rooms rather than 'dead' space in the corridor???