“Great location. Great first impression about Tokyo”

Hotel Villa Fontaine Shinjuku
Ranked #44 of 81 Hotels / Ryokan in Shinjuku
paris
“Great location. Great first impression about Tokyo”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2011

This was the firts Hotel where I stayed during my stay in Japan.
It was amazing to feel that I was in such a vibrant neighborhood.
Great located, near the JR to go to the airport, to anywhere in the city.
Restaurants, clubs, stores, convenient stores, markets, supermarkets, Shopping malls, everything is just there!
The street is quite but it is where you want to be.
It has to be said though, that around are lots of bars for men, which could be quite intimidating for families or women. I did not mind about it and I did not feel agressed or unsafe or whatsoever.
The room was quite small but had everything you may want. Clean, with a traditional japanese bathroom, nice amenities. Perfect!
If I go back to Tokyo (Which I want to do soon), I would go back here. It was just so convenient!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank sergiocanedo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Forestville, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2011

My husband and I stayed here in March 2011, a few days after the earthquake. The hotel wasn't busy (we saw only 2 other guests in 5 days) The staff were very reassuring about the situation in Tokyo (the nuclear situation!), and allowed us to use the internet free to keep in touch with family back home. The rooms were very nice, the wet room great, and the breakfast arrived every morning within a few minutes of our calling for it. (Not always to our taste, but different and interesting!) Every night there were 3 or 4 aftershocks...the staff were unconcerned...we were pretty scared! Its in a great area of Tokyo...and I wouldnt hesitate to stay there again.

Room Tip: Don't let the aftershocks scare you..the staff don't!
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2011

Booked this hotel based on the great comments here. It was my first time to travel to Japan, and I saw the popular reasonable priced hotel, from their pictures, they seemed old-fashioned and very small, so I was very hesitant.

The hotel is just a little bit hard to find, it's not as hard as other people say if you prepare well in advance, but it's not like it's on a main street or close to subway like some of the other hotels in Shinjuku.

During my trip I stayed in HVF Shinjuku & Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku, to give a better idea, here's the comparsion of both hotel

Location:
HVF: takes about 8-10 mins walk from the main railway, you'll have to pass through a few different small area to get to the hotel
Sunroute: it's right above the Keio line which is useful for me since I was taking the train back to the airport and I didn't have to walk far with my heavy luaggage, it's also only 1 and a half block away from the Shinjuku JR Station.

Room:
HVF: room is small with quite large bed, bed was comfortable, but since the large bed, there's not much room to do anything in the room. I have to give great compliments to the bathroom though, it's almost as big as the rest of the room. The toilet & the bathing area has a door to separate, so it's good if you're taking a long bath & someone has to use the bathroom. The bathing area has a bathtub and what was really great is there's a big shower area next to the bathtub, they gave this little chair to sit on while you're taking your shower, i think that's a nice experience of how Japanese lives and I didn't even want to go out of bathroom!

Sunroute: The room is small and the bed is small too, so there gives just a bit more room to move around. The room design is simple kinda like a business hotel, although the bathroom is old with the white walls turning yellow. It's not bad, but I'd prefer the room for HVF.

Others
HVF: It's a small boutique hotel, so don't expect it'll wow you, but it gives more than what a "real" hotel can offer you, they even offer free sandwiches for breakfast which taste awesome! If you don't mind the walk, it'll be a preferred choice as I believe the price is cheaper.

Sunroute: It's very convenient and great value for the hotel. Considering the price, it's newer and more comfortable than other hotels at the same price range.

Coming month, I'm going to Tokyo again, I choose to stay in HVF than Sunroute because it's a bit cheaper, and although the room is pretty much the same size, since the bed is bigger it gives me a more comfortable sleep.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
7 Thank emmiedustie
Almere, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2010

Very nice simple hotel without any excessive luxury. We stayed here for two nights and we had a nice room with a very nice Japanese style bathtub. Even though the rooms are small, which they might be in any other place as well, the bed was very comfortable and the breakfast we got served in our room was quite tasty as well.
I would recommend this place for anyone who wants to go to Tokyo and doesn't want anything too fancy, but still would like to enjoy some luxury.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2010

The Villa Fontaine is an easy hotel for a short stay in one of Tokyo's busiest spots, with fast accessibility to the rest of the inner city.

The hotel itself is no-frills - no onsite restaurant, no room service, a very basic breakfast that you eat in your room. There's no sense of the hotel pampering you. On the other hand, why would you want to be cocooned indoors with the wild variety of food and drink, sightseeing and entertainment just streets away?

Based on previous reviews we chose a superior room, and it delivered - large (QS) bed by Tokyo standards and comfortable (important for my 6'2" partner); a really good bathroom in the traditional Japanese configuration (wash/shower followed by a deep bath for relaxing). There's coffee-and-tea facilities, and a small bar fridge. TV is local, but you can buy access to a good selection of movies with a pay-as-you-go service. The rooms are quiet, with little to no interference from neighbours or outside.

The high-speed LAN is great if you have a laptop (we did) and it really is free (no half-hourly logins, or other conditional access).

The hotel is located smack in the middle of the red-light district, surrounded by love-hotels and bars, but we never felt our safety to be compromised. JR train and subway stations abound within just a few convenient minutes' walk. It meant we could easily adjourn there after a day's sightseeing, to freshen up before heading out for the evening.

Immediately near the hotel (1-3 streets) are an abundance of typical Tokyo eateries - ramen, yakitori, katsu restaurants and others, as well as a burgeoning Korean quarter to the south, so be adventurous. If the immediate area is a bit too seedy for you to hang out in, walk a few blocks north and west - you'll find high-end shopping options including Isetan, and excellent restaurants and bars close by.

The hotel staff were friendly and efficient, and spoke more than enough English to help you with basic needs including location maps, arranging taxis, etc..

As multiple-time visitors to Japan and Tokyo, overall, it was a good experience for us.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2010

My husband really wanted to stay in Shinjuku pon or last trip to Tokyo, and we found this place at a decent rate so booked it. It was a 8 minute walk from Shinjuku station through lots of hustle and bustle. Staff was friendly and helpful ( note they don't take cards, which should not have shocked me.) Room was funky and very clean, TV was nice and big, and the Bathroom I could have actually taken up residence in... I have traveled many places in Japan, and I must say for Tokyo this was a big bathroom. We had a shower area and a huge deep bathtub that I definitely luxuriated in. As well the toilet was a good 3 steps from the bathroom door, as opposed to being at the door which does happen in many hotels. Shinjuku is a nice place to stay as well if you want easy access to the city and Shibuya. It is also a perfectly safe area. It is also very quiet for being in the middle of Shinjuku, but it is a couple of streets away from the busiest areas. there are also thousands of bars, clubs, restaurants, and the like all around you, so if you are going for nightlife than this is the place for you (although a good portion of the entertainment is more pointed toward Japanese people,specifically Japanese men). Overall cool place to stay, and easily accessible.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AmericanLadyInUK
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2010

Service - service is efficient and friendly but do not expect the staff to go over and above their duty to you. Do not expect the staff to lay out the red carpet for you and wait on you 24 hours a day. However, if you are like my friends and I, we don't really want to be pampered by the staff and we would sooner prefer to have efficient and prompt service which is exactly what we got here.

Room - like all tokyo hotel rooms, the ones in this hotel are small. Very little space to do anything except jump into bed. However they do make very efficient use of the space available and most of yr necessary items can be found in the rooms. It even has a mini bar fridge! Plus it also has access to internet broadband.

Location - I think this is the best feature of the hotel..right in the middle of Shinjuku. Within walking distance to everything! And you get to see all sides of life in Shinjuku just by walking around the vicinity of the hotel. A lot of different eating options. A lot of shopping options.

Likes - location. Broadband internet available. clean rooms.
Dislikes - small room but this is to be expected in Tokyo.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends