Hotel Empire In Shinjuku
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Hilton Tokyo(Shinjuku)
$319
$263
$256
  • Pool
Keio Plaza Hotel Tokyo(Shinjuku)
$224
$161
$138
$96
$303
$72
  • Restaurant
Hotel Sunroute Higashi Shinjuku(Shinjuku)
$92
Hotels.com
$177
$125
Agoda.com
All reviewsshin okubo stationhot and cold waterjr yamanote linehotel locatedhandy locationshower gellots of restaurantscentral tokyoexcellent locationstar hotelstayed for nightsthe ground floorhotel roommicrowavenecessitiesenglishlaundromat
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 29, 2013

Having never been to Tokyo before, I chose this for me and my friends on blind chance. Rooms are very cheap, No problems there; But we booked 2 x 2 bed rooms, And needed to upgrade to a 3 bedroom room for a mate; Instead of upgrading us, They just put another single bed into one of the rooms and charged us the same price of a three bedroom room, Which to me is a joke.

The location is great. Right between Sobu and Yamanote lines (Okubo and Shin-Okubo). There are plenty of places to eat close by within less than a minute walk. The young japanese fellow on the front desk speaks great english, And was VERY helpful. Breakfast is so cheap, But if your like me and like your breakfasts big, I suggest heading down to 7/11. You have literally everything within range; It took us less than 10 mins to stumble back drunk a few nights from the Red Light District in Shinjuku. 7/11 directly down the road on the corner and Laundromat only about 2 min walk away. Mind you, If you need to do your washing, Be sure to do it before 7pm. Being Aussie and not knowing Shinjuku well, Ladies of the night were out in force and will stick to you like a leech.

The rooms were cramped, More than expected. Bathrooms were dirty and there was mould build up. Room service would only change the towels, But not do anything else to the room. I can understand you pay what you get for, But we did feel ripped off a bit. Wireless was a pain in the a**. They have seperate wireless for each floor; We stayed on floor 3 and found that using the bottom floor and floor two worked better than the third floor. Always getting interrupted. Other than this, The place was ok.

We had troubles with some of the residents staying in for a few nights at a time; As we were there for 10 nights. We were constantly woken up by random screaming and banging and such; The hotel didn't seem to care much for anyone sleeping during the night as these peasants would cause a lot of ruckus. Not really the hotels fault but the didn't help the situation either.

Room Tip: Honestly get the best room you can get. if you try look for a bargain room, guaranteed you will be let down and get one of the poorer rooms.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank J0shwa
Reviewed November 21, 2013

The location of the hotel is very convenient to the subway but the hotel is not well maintained. I came earlier than the check in time so I decided to leave my baggage before heading out on a shopping spree. The front desk staff was not friendly at all and she just told me to leave my bag in the hallway. I insisted that it be kept in a room as there are fragile items and she reluctantly took it. I was given the first room on the first floor and when I enter I could immediately smell the smell of an old, smoky room.

The room is very small and the toilet is smaller. I believe the heater is malfunctioning because I went during Autumn/Winter and when I turn it on the smell of cigarette just blew out and only cold air came on. This resulted in a lack of sleep throughout the night due to the cold. Atop of that there was a blackout during the middle of the night and I can hear the commotion for hours before they resolve the issue.

Ammenities provided was less then basic and the area where is the hotel is located does not feel as safe as other parts of Tokyo. The road leading to the hotel is a small side road with no street lights and extremely quiet which I felt was unsafe for a solo female traveller.

I could have gotten a better place for equal value. Overall an unpleasant experience.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights and the location is strategic.
Near to the JR Shin Okubo station with just a minute walk.
Lots of restaurants and convenience shops around.

The room is a bit small but is enough for travelers who just want to get some sleep.
Overall the room is clean and supply free drinking water.

The staff can speak understandable English and no problem in communicate.

For the cheap price we paid, it's definitely worth it

Room Tip: We happened to get a smoking room and it is quite unbearable on the first day of our stay. So make sure you get the non smoking room if you don't smoke.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Great location. Near 2 JR stations. It is better than you stay near JR shin-Okubo station than near JR Shinjuku station as you have to walk and walk in the big and complicated Shinjuku station.
24 hours restaurants and supermarket is available nearby and reasonable price.
I satisfied of the room with all the facilities available. However, we found a dead bug inside the lightbox.

Room Tip: Family room on the ground floor is good choice for travel above 4 peoples
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 28, 2013

The location was convenient, a few minutes' walk to JR Shin-Okubo station and a police box right around the corner. Quite clean and really comfortable (I slept well here), functional air conditioner and it was a room of good size for a single traveller. Free Wifi, which is great, and many eateries around the area.

The road leading to the hotel is rather quiet, which is just a bit worrisome for a lone female, but Japan has been very safe throughout my trip, so it wasn't a big problem. Hotel Empire in Shinjuku has an elevator, so it's easy to bring up/carry down your luggage, even alone. Also a computer for surfing the net in the lobby.

There are several drinks vending machine just outside the hotel, and it's also attached to a bar/cafe.

This hotel allows you to keep your luggage there even after you've checked out, which is really a lifesaver when moving to another hotel or waiting til it's time to leave for the airport. Good hotel with reasonable prices for the Shinjuku area.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo