“One of my favorite Tokyo experiences” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of New York Bar

New York Bar
Ranked #3 of 8,758 Restaurants in Shinjuku
Cuisines: Bar
Good for: Scenic view, Bar scene, Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Drinks, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Shinjuku
Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
“One of my favorite Tokyo experiences”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

Went here knowing it would be an elegant and therefore expensive evening. Wine and food are both stupidly expensive, but that's not surprise. If you have that mindset you will enjoy the evening. The view is stellar and we both had an excellent time. The food is nothing to write home about, and the cover charge is a bit much, but it was one of my favorite nights in Tokyo. The bill is expensive, but if you want cheap hit a bottle shop or pub down the road. You can't beat the view and ambiance.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
McFarland, Wisconsin, United States
“For Fans of Lost In Translation Only”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

OK.....so full disclosure first, My wife was sick back in the hotel room but as it was our last night in Tokyo I felt like I had to make the trip up to the NY Bar at the Park Hyatt even if by myself.

The good: The view is fantastic, Regardless of everything else if you are a Lost in Translation fan like myself you almost have to make the stop for a drink. The jazz group - good. Cosmo - excellent.

The bad: Pricing is really REALLY high....especially the cover of $22. I had 4 drinks + the softshell crab wrap + what I thought were the NY chocolates comped to me (turns out NO) and spent $136. I don't care by what "world city" standards you are using - that is a lot of money. I wasn't in the best of moods given I was by myself so factor that in. The thing that really REALLY irked me was (1) the maitre d' brought over the NY chocolate starter/appetizer and put it on my table and acted like it was a gift (again FULL disclosure I don't speak Japanese - it turned up on my bill for $18 and (2) when I asked for a box to take some of the chocolates back to my room for my sick wife my server said "its not possible since you are not a guest of the hotel"....huh? I can only hope he didn't understand what I was asking....so I just carried them back with me to the Hyatt Regency where we were staying.

Perhaps I should have asked for the manager to at least understand the chocolate situation but given I don't speak a lick of Japanese and am just another hick from Wisconsin that is way outclassed in Tokyo I just called it a night and walked home.

Pretty harsh review I realize and probably my own fault for being out of league and even going there in the first place. I do love Japanese culture (or at least the romantic western view of it) but I REALLY need to learn Japanese before coming back - it would make the trip so much easier & enjoyable.

• Visited June 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
New York City, New York
“It's a bar in the sky”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

No real surprises with this place. It's a standard hotel bar. Prices reflect the location and expect to drop about 1,500 - 2,000 JPY for most drinks ($15-$20 US). Views are great, but after 8pm you get hit with a cover charge. Plan on going early to catch the sunset and to avoid paying the cover charge.

The bands that play can be a little loud, so try to get a seat away from the stage area (isn't really a stage, but where the band sets up). The sunken areas at the corners of the giant room are nice. The bar counter itself is regular.

Worth a drink if you are still all about Lost in Translation. Otherwise, you could skip it without missing much.

Visited March 2013
2 Thank TheEveningPaper
Atlanta, Georgia
“Dazzling setting for a bar”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

Amazing nighttime view; Jazz quartet sang GA on My Mind for US, great mood, decent bar food, good drinks. Perfect way to spend Fri. night.

Visited May 2013
Center
“It's all about the atmosphere.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

Second time here. It's all about atmosphere. Jazz quality is less relevant, than the invironment. Note that it's a walk-in bar, with no reservation. The menu is limited but it's meant for rather light meals -at reasonable charges. You may dine in the adjacent New York Grill and then come to the Bar for the music. The service is at the highest standards of Tokyo -English is spoken fluently and all personell is helpful and relaxed in dealing with foreigners. Dressing up is recommended to enjoy the spirit of the place -despite the dress code is quite undemanding -see the website.
One negative remark: I tried one of the drinks I had in October and found that fruit was not freshly mixed, but was originated by a ready made juice.

• Visited May 2013