“Great Hostel”
Review of Ace Inn Shinjuku

Ace Inn Shinjuku
Reviewed March 22, 2012

I've been travelling for a while now, and this is the best hostel I have been to yet. It was very clean and quiet and the staff was amazing. We were even able to rent bikes through the hostel for very cheap. The only downsides would be the curfew, which we didn't have to worry about because we were so jet lagged, and possibly the distance to the JR. The metro is very close, but to get to some places, we had to make the walk.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank swojcio3

Reviewed March 19, 2012

I stayed here two nights and that in my opinion it was okay for that period. As other reviews say - a lot of old japanese ppl in the hostel for some reason. The only good place to meet other travellers is the common room which is very big and has a lot of room for you to just go and chill out with a few drinks. The showers are in the basement and everyone has to make the hike there for showers and pay 100 yen for 10 mins - I think they should do away with that. Other hostels I have stayed in around the same price range have given free showers. Location wise - cant complain. It is fairly well connected - close to Shinjuku , Shibuya and Tokyo Station by train.

Room Tip: At Akebonobashi train station take exit A3 Ace is 200 mts on the left as you get out.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank suhritk
Reviewed March 16, 2012

Ace was the first place I stayed during my trip and it made for a good start. I didn't quite understand how to get from the airport to Ace on the subway but the guy at the front desk was very patient with me in explaining which lines to take. I'm sure after my fifth call, he got a bit annoyed. This place is literally a five minute walk from the Akebonabashi stop, just walk up the stairs and exit to your left.

I stayed on the sixth floor, which was mixed dorm capsules. I found the travelers here to be friendlier than in other hostels I've stayed in so that was a plus. The capsules were the most interesting part of this hostel. You're not paying for luxury and for an expensive place like Tokyo, I found the price to be reasonable for the comfort I got sleeping in the capsules. You have privacy but the capsules put you in very close quarters with everyone else in the room.

I thought this hostel was a good base to get around shinjuku but since I didn't stay anywhere else, I can't really compare the quality to other hostels. I also found the staff very helpful in helping choose and find places to see and explaining the subway system, which I didn't master until it was time to leave.

Cons about this place, the upstairs common area was not the most comfortable and inviting, I hope they decide to liven it up at some point. But there were people hanging out up there, so it is possible to meet others if thats your goal. And the showers are down stairs and you have to pay. If you're the first one in the morning, I found the showers to be very clean and the water was always hot.

Overall, it was a good experience and I would stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 17, 2011

Overall, Ace Inn was a decent but very quiet hotel. They were quite strict and rigid in their rule setting which kind of killed the mood. I found a lot of older people would stay at this kind of hotel and you could tell by the atmosphere in the top floor common room. It was a really big common area with a massive TV but felt empty and had a lack of atmosphere about the place. Had a few good nights out with the fellow travellers i met at Ace Inn but would only recommend it for a few nights stay at most but it all depends on what you are looking for. The laundry facilities were good as there was always washers and dryers spare and the showers (if you stayed in the dorm room) were located on the bottom floor. This proved to be a bit annoying as you had to travel down in a lift and then down more stairs to have a shower and then back up again to your dorm. The 'capsules' were different to all other capsules i stayed in throughout my time in Japan as they were more like coffins than capsules. They were fairly spacious but felt very much like lying in a coffin with only a tiny reading light at the end where your head lays. There was no free breakfast offered at this hotel which is strange as i had stayed at far cheaper places where a breakfast was provided. The nightly rate was about 2500 Yen (18/19 pounds at the time) which is pretty expensive for what you get considering you stiff have to pay for a wifi code and to do your own washing and drying via the coin machines AND you had to pay for the showers (which was 100 yen for 10 minutes i think). The location was decent but its not as close to Shinjuku as the name suggests as its a 20 minute walk in a straight line which isn't too bad but a bit annoying when walking back late at night. The closest station is Akebonobashi which is a subway line that you can use to get to shinjuku station pretty quickly if you do not want to walk.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Matthew A
Reviewed December 6, 2011

I had to find a place to stay close to the pick up point for getting an early morning coach to Fuji Q Highland. The Ace Inn was basic and good value, the staff member on the front desk didnt speak English though and even though I tried to speak as much Japanese as I could he seemed like he couldnt be bothered to make things easier for me. The wooden capsule bed was nice, much more spacious than I expected with a little lamp too. Internet access was available downstairs in the lobby, there was even laundry facilities. The other guests were quite noisy on their return after a night out but that is nothing to say about the Ace Inn. It was basic, easy to arrange, easy to find, a good nights sleep.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 4, 2011

I checked in here at the ace inn quite late on a Friday. About 9:30pm and there was still a very friendly staff member waiting to help. My first night was a bit rough (most likely because I had been travelling for 12 hours before I arrived). Anytime anyone opened a curtain I was woken up and the metal lockers were even noisier. So the morning of my second day was much better I got up and showered at 8am with not another person in sight. I had a bit of a chat with another staff member who was also really nice. My second night was much better. I admittedly was quite sick by this point so my medication probably knocked me out but either way it was a much better nights sleep. As a single female traveller in her 20's I had no issues with the "mixed dorm" style capsules. The area is also quite safe and the subway line is maybe 20-30m down the road and across the street.

I payed about 6400¥ for the two nights which is a little steep but hey Tokyo is expensive.

On a final note the staffs English skills are fantastic. They even told me where to eat dinner.

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank Emilybarr
Reviewed March 31, 2011

I was charmed by Ace Inn Shinjuku. The staff are really friendly and have heaps of local knowledge. After the earthquake - when no one seemed sure what trains were running - the staff did their best to find out.

The ninth-floor lounge was a great space to meet other travellers.

I stayed on a the mixed capsule floor. I hadn't slept in a capsule before, but the larger stuff of Ace Inn's beds (maybe more like an enclosed bunk) was spacious enough for me. It's a good situation if you're going to spend a lot of the day exploring and just need a bed to sleep.

It's a bit of a trek down to the basement showers. They're coin operated, with ¥100 for 10 minutes of hot water, but that's more than enough for a good shower.

It's a bit of a walk to Shinjuku Station, but it's right by a subway entrance for easy transport on the subway.

There are plenty of good local convenience stores, cafes, little restaurants, bars and even a McDonald's for homesick Westerners.

And one of the best things - free wireless wifi on every floor, as well as internet terminals on the ground floor!

I would happily recommend Ace Inn Shinjuku as a cheerful budget option for some Tokyo sightseeing.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo