“Best tonkatsu I've had!”

Tonkatsu Maisen Aoyama Honten
Ranked #11 of 7,494 Restaurants in Shibuya
Cuisines: Japanese, Asian
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Shibuya / Harajuku / Ebisu
Espoo, Finland
“Best tonkatsu I've had!”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

This old place is a bit off the trail, but not too far. Definitely check your location, and make a small detour for this place. Be prepared to wait to get seated, since this place is very popular.

The service was really good and attentionate, and the tonkatsu was the best I've had in Japan. Really good. Even the sides we had, were are excellent. This isn't a fine dining restaurant, but honest good food from good ingredients prepared well.

Visit this place and enjoy the food!

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank HeikkiFromFinland

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Rancho Palos Verdes, California
“Excellent tonkatsu dinner!”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

It is made with okita kurobuta pork. Very juicy and lightly coated with panko. It's a little expensive but worth it when travelling to Tokyo.

Visited June 2013
“This is one great tonkatsu experience for my taste buds.”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I never did enjoy tonkatsu but this time, food at Tonkatsu Maisen at Omotesando Hills won me over. The batter was the right crispness and the tonkatsu was not oily. The meat was tender and juicy. Our family of 5 started our walk from Harajuku station and walked up the steep Omotesando Hills, huffing from breathlessness and had sore calves and feet but it was worth the trip. English menu with photos were a sure relief. This being the flagship store, they retained the old restaurant interior which gave a feeling of tranquility to enjoy your meal in contrast with the bustling neighborhood famed for shopping. We ate again at another of their outlets in Shibuya on the eve of our departure. Food quality was consistent but the flagship store at Omotesando Hills is the ultimate.

Visited June 2013
Sydney, Australia
“Best tonkatsu (pork cutlet) in all of Japan!”
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Make sure to order the Kurobuta Rosu set. (Black Pork cutlet, loin cut). You will not be disappointed. This meal alone is worth a trip to Japan. And if anyone recommends a place called Tonki to you, fly kick them in the head for me. This place beats it hands down! Also, just a little factoid, but this restaurant has history! It used to be a bath house (obviously sanitized and brought up to casual-fine dining standards since) back in WWII.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank tecbarrera
Singapore, Singapore
“Nice Food, Wonderful Service”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

I had such a difficult place finding this restaurant, and I would not have gotten to eat the wonderful and tasty tonkatsu but for the kind help of a wonderful Japanese lady who walked me the entire way to the entrance of the restaurant. To be honest, maybe much of my difficulty was due to the fact that it was really dark out and I couldn't see the signs leading to the restaurant so perhaps going in the afternoon would have been a much, much better choice.

That being said, the tonkatsu was really nice and crispy, and was not excessively oily. The staff were extremely kind and helpful too, in telling me exactly how to mix the seasoning and eat the radish (I never realised I ate it wrongly when I was in Singapore). Furthermore, the menu is partially in English, and there are some English speaking staff there who were called over to serve us due to the difficulty of us understanding Japanese. To say the service was excellent would be an understatement.

To conclude and summarize, nice food (though not necessarily awesome/something to rave endlessly about), wonderful atmosphere and excellent service.

• Visited April 2013