“The Great Tonkatsu Experience”

Tonkatsu Maisen Aoyama Honten
Ranked #9 of 7,647 Restaurants in Shibuya
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Shibuya / Harajuku / Ebisu
Reviewed December 31, 2012

I came to Maisen on New Years Eve. I was thinking it might be shut like most of Omotesando but I got a seat. I have enjoyed Tonkatsu before but this was a a greater taste. The Pork was excellent and as succulent as possible. I only had the 100g cutlet set but I was stuffed! The Daikon was shrdded to perfection and the miso was lovely. If I had needed to queue I would not have minded - I will come back - This is the Tonkatsu Temple!

2  Thank Mark B

Reviewed November 7, 2012

Love it - eat here one or twice a month for lunch. Weekend lunch is packed and do come early to grab a table. Only one word for this Maisen (lazy to write 100 Characer minimum) which is :
Very Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmy!!

2  Thank Hew K
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Discovered tonkatsu at this restaurant and it's now one of my favourite meals in JP. Had the combined meal with prawn, filé and shrimp-cheese blend. Recommended!

2  Thank FlyingFlipFlop
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Went here for lunch earlier today and can sum up my experience as follows:

Food: Had the hire katsu set which was pretty disappointing compared to my previous tonkatsu experiences in Singapore (Tonkatsu Saboten or Tonkatsu by Ma Maison). I would have thought that it would be better in Tokyo... Also, they didn't provide any sesame sauce for the cabbage (which I really like).

Service: I was sitting at the counter and started noticing that everyone around me was getting a different menu then myself (and another non-Japanese couple there). The different menu, as it turned out, was the lunch set menu in which lunch sets are priced around ¥1,000 as opposed to the regular menu in which a tonkatsu set is between Y2,500 and ¥3,000. While I'm sure that the lunch deals may have slightly smaller portions, I found it totally unacceptable that I was not offered the option of ordering a lunch set. Clearly, I had been targeted as the stupid gaijin who could be charged full price (which admittedly, I was...). In addition, I wasn't offered a refill of my tea.

In conclusion, I would give 3 stars for the food and 1 star for the service, which gives a total of 3 stars. This was my first tonkatsu experience in Tokyo. Next I will be trying out Saboten and some of the local places and hoping for a better experience.

1  Thank theoutsidersguide
Reviewed September 9, 2012

My friend had the tiger prawns, and they were amazing- the best!
I had a bowl of the pork with egg and rice- delicious!! I was so glad I saw this restaurant on Frommer's and stopped in. Lots of locals in the restaurant. A big menu with lots of options.
I would highly recommend this spot for lunch. We just walked in, no resi.