“Long line but pretty amazing Udon ”
Review of Shin Udon

Shin Udon
Ranked #18 of 9,630 Restaurants in Shibuya
Neighborhood: Shinjuku
Neighborhood: Shinjuku
Reviewed February 21, 2019 via mobile

Shin Udon, a small 10 seat restaurant, is a popular tourist spot I guess because the line to get in was pretty long. They told us about an hour but it probably took only 30 mins. They are sort of strict about waiting in line, making sure you don’t block the neighboring stores or restaurants or get in the way of cars. Once you are inside though the experience is great! The Udon was delicious, I tried the black pepper and butter dish which was simple and elegant. And vegetarian. (Probably not much in the way of vegans here.) Easy to get to. Good price for high quality udon too.

Date of visit: February 2019

Reviewed January 20, 2019 via mobile

I loved the udon and visited this place with adults in my previous visits. During this trip, I brought a young one and decided to just try my luck. Although there is absolutely no space for a baby chair. I was able to perch my child my lap and feed the child and myself. The restaurant staff also provided cutlery and an udon cutter. It’s not really easy to eat here with a young child. But they were surprisingly accommodating. I guess they key is to try to come here during off peak hours so that u don’t have a queue too long with a young one.

Date of visit: November 2018
Reviewed January 17, 2019 via mobile

One of the nicest udon I've eaten. Restaurant has very limited seating so make sure you go early, otherwise be prepared to wait. Ordered tempura to go with the udon. Also very good and batter was light!

Date of visit: January 2019
Reviewed January 6, 2019

I'll admit, I was in the wrong line. I thought I was in line for Fuunji ramen. But that does not give you the right to violently shove me out of line. An older female server asked if I wanted udon or ramen. I said "ramen". The next thing that happened was that she points to an area behind me and shoves me out of line. I was shocked. If thats is any indication of their customer service, I would advise not eating here. Go to Fuunji, the ramen was great and the customer service 1,000,000 times better. I was in Japan two weeks in Kyoto and Tokyo, I wasn't treated like this any other time. Everywhere else the people were friendly and helpful. I'd only eat here if you paid me and fed me Kobe beef.

Date of visit: December 2018
3  Thank Ambien
Reviewed December 28, 2018 via mobile

#throwback to our Japan trip, there was this one night when we were craving for udon in the midst of insanely busy Shinjuku. We stumbled upon Udon Shin on some foodie blog and decided to give it a try.
A stone throw away from the Shinjuku station, tucked in a quiet alley is this small udon eatery popular with foreigner, so expect long lines for dinner & lunch— but like anything in Japan, everything was quick and efficient. Limited seatings, but it can accommodate party of four comfortably.
Straightforward udon selection and you can order additional tempuras. English menu is available and waitress was incredibly helpful. Sadly, they don’t accept cards, strictly cash. Damage per person was around ¥2000 incl. one draft beer.
She had the Beef Bukkake Udon and for me: Kombu Seaweed Soup Udon. We shared the Ume Plum Tempura, which was sour and savoury, but it added an interesting flavour to the whole dish. Downed everything with a dry Asahi beer.
—————————————————
#渋谷 , #東京

Date of visit: December 2018
2  Thank Travelgeela

Been to Shin Udon? Share your experiences!