“Well worth the money for the food and the experience”
Review of Hakushu

Hakushu
Ranked #4 of 9,133 Restaurants in Shibuya
Neighborhood: Shibuya / Harajuku / Ebisu
Neighborhood: Shibuya / Harajuku / Ebisu
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

With such a large range of food options in Tokyo, it isn't hard to find a good place to eat. It does take a little luck (along with Tripadvisor and Yelp) to find a gem like Hakushu.

After reading other reviews, I was excited to try Hakushu and the A5 Wagyu steaks that they served there. I had my hotel call to make a reservation as I read that it has gotten very popular. I definitely recommend making reservation as my wife and I saw several groups turned away. The restaurant itself wasn't hard to find and quite close to Shibuya station. You can easily reach the station in about 10 minutes of walking.

When we arrive, we were seated at the counter where we had a front seat view of the cooking by the adorable "grandma". The menu was simple enough with a good selection of steak and seafood. We only ordered the steaks and the beef tongue. The restaurant was quite busy so our food did take a little while to get started. Once it got started, we were asked if we were sharing the steaks or not. Grandma started cooking with a skill and dexterity that was quite impressive. It is hard to imagine how fast and proficient she must have been when she was younger.

The steaks don't take long to cook and she expertly cuts them up and lay them on the pieces of bread in front of us. It was delicious!! What I thought was amazing were the beef tongue. It was sliced right in front of us and then cooked. I don't believe there were any seasoning but it came out perfect!!

While Hakushu can appear to be expensive for a restaurant that doesn't look fancy. I think that you get a great value for your money. The steaks are as good as any restaurant I have been to that serves A5. The staff is friendly and you just get the feel that they have just invited you to their home. I definitely recommend Hakushu if you are craving some steak teppanyaki in Tokyo.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Came here the other night. Cute little place and the beef was really good. Definitely a touristy place though. I don’t have any issue with their food or services ce during dinner per say but when we went to pay they just told us the total price of the bill and never offered us the breakdown. We happily paid and left. But then on second thought we felt that the price was a bit more than expected. So we went back and asked for the breakdown and that’s when we saw that they charged us an extra dinner set for about 6,500 yen. They barely apologised but did offer us a refund. We would like to give them the benefit of the doubt. But please ask for an itemised bill and double check before you pay.

Reviewed October 12, 2018 via mobile

I asked the staff of my hotel in Tokyo to book a dinner for two persons at a fridaynight. We got in at 5.30pm and ordered some beers and the Kobe Beef Steak.

The experience was great at the grill and the beef was amazing (it is a little bit expensive but definitely worth the visit).

Best meal in Tokyo during our visit :)

Greetings from the Netherlands.

1  Thank rensvorstermans
Reviewed October 1, 2018 via mobile

Tried this restaurant based on the excellent reviews. It was hard to get in, as it’s a small restaurant, but it was so worth the wait. For our one week vacation we ate here three times and each time was perfect. Staff is great, family atmosphere, loved watching them cook our food in front of us. Kobe is outstanding as was the sea food. This will be our “go to” every time we visit Japan.

1  Thank tarekdeiab
Reviewed October 1, 2018 via mobile

Succulent A4/A5 grade (as disclosed by owner) Kobe sirloin! Finished with teepanyaki konyaku! A meal which exceeded my expectation!