“Good location & price... shame about the bed !”

Shibuya Granbell Hotel
Ranked #8 of 28 Hotels / Ryokan in Shibuya
Reviewed April 5, 2014

Shibuya Granbell was well priced & located (about 5mins walk from the huge Shibuya Station).

However, it is worth noting that if you're hauling luggage from the station, you will need to navigate 2 lots of stairs on the overpass that links the station to the hotel side of the road. As I'd arrived via limousine bus, which drops off at Cerulean this wasn't an issue, as it's literally 2mins around the corner.

I'd booked a premiere twin, knowing how small Japanese hotel rooms can be ... and frankly because it wasn't that much more expensive. I'm glad I did, as it was really spacious - plenty of room for 2 people & luggage ... plus lots of hanging space. It's also the only hotel I've stayed at in Japan that had an in-room safe.

The bathroom was also very roomy; with separate shower & bath.

As to the downsides, which ultimately have lowered my rating [as I just didn't find my stay at all restful]. The bed was really uncomfortable; I didn't have one night of uninterrupted sleep because the mattress discomfort literally woke me up each night.

As did the room heating ... even with the in-room air conditioner turned off, there must have still been some filtering in from the stifling common hall. The only way to get some relief was by opening the window for a while, which thankfully Japanese hotels still allow (its pretty much extinct in other countries).

Overall - good value & location, but not sure I'd book again as a good nights sleep is pretty important after big days spent walking around Tokyo !

Room Tip: The Premiere Twin is very roomy; would easily fit 2 or more large bags. I was on the 9th floor; no...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank LeoDaVinci
There are newer reviews for Shibuya Granbell Hotel

Reviewed April 1, 2014

I stayed in this little hotel for four nights, and while the location was very good and the price modest, I would never go here again.

During my stay, I noticed that there was a laundry service mentioned on the paper they give you at check in, and that there were plastic laundry bags available in the desk drawer of the room. Since I was staying for some time, I decided to send a few things down: just a pair of pants and a few shirts and socks. I brought the laundry down to the front desk in the morning, the guy said ok, and they called me up around 8pm that night to pick it all up. No problem.

Upon check out, however, they suddenly inform me that I owe ¥5,400 (about $53) for the laundry service, and I was shocked. I'm 100% confident that there was no mention of any price for the laundry service on anything in the check in materials or room, something which the lady at reception did not dispute. Maybe I have strange expectations, but I think that before a merchant can charge you money for something, they should alert you as to what the price is likely to be--or at the very least that there is a price. That way the customer knows he or she is entering into a commercial transaction. This hotel did neither, and that strikes me as sleazy and dishonest, not to mention unfair. If I knew the laundry wasn't free like the coffee or bottled water they give you, I wouldn't have used it. All they had to do was put a few words in the check in materials or the room somewhere that the laundry service costs money, that's all.

If I had had a bit more Japanese and wasn't in such a hurry at the time, I would have refused to pay and argued with them about it, since ¥5,400 is a lot of money to me (especially for a small load of laundry!).  But as it was, I paid them and resolved never to go there again.  Who knows what else they might secretly decide costs several thousand yen.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank kmp1776
Reviewed March 23, 2014

The hotel is conveniently located just 3 minutes walk from Shibuya station and shopping district. It is surrounded by lots of eating places, convenient stores and even a hair salon.

The staff speaks English, and the room, although a bit small, is functional. I had a very restful sleep on the bed. Very nice and comfortable.

I would definitely go back to stay at the Granbell again.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed March 5, 2014 via mobile

Great hotel highly recommend it and will come back for my next trip.

The rooms are small, but the bed is extremely comfy and the bathroom is very clean. Great heater aswell.

Staff were very friendly and helpful and could all speak perfect English

There is a small bar attached to the hotel. Great spot to start a night out.

5min walk to the heart of shibuya and train station.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank mariewhite
Reviewed February 28, 2014 via mobile

Stay in this hotel for 1 night.

Hotel is strategically located.. 5min walking distance from shibuya train station and other attractions.. surrounded by cafes and shops...

Hotel staff is awesome!! Very helpful and speak English.

Room were abit small but very cosy...

Breakfast was nice.. we opt for the japanese set breakfast

Definitely will return to stay again!!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 28, 2014 via mobile

This hotel was a little difficult to find at first if you arrive via jr shibuya. The main doors are to the hotel is hidden next to a tapas type bar. They dont look like doors, but more of a wooden partition. My tip is to go up the pedestrian overpass and walk down the side where the tennis building is. There are lifts also.

Room size is fair for this standard of hotel, however they must get a lot of people through as my room carpet was stained with cig. burns.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Having landed at Narita in the middle of a snow storm, we eventually managed to get to the Shibuya station via the Airport Express and subway. The hotel was easy to find and well within walking distance from the station and the check in process was quick and easy - the staff were lovely.

The room itself was great - we stayed in a Modern Double and there was plenty of room (by Tokyo standards). The decor and overall styling of the hotel and rooms was really cool and modern.

Everything was neat and tidy with enough room to stow our bags out of the way. We were only really in the room to sleep and shower and it lived up to all expectations - the bed was very comfortable and the shower was roomy (again by Tokyo standards). The quality complimentary toiletries were a nice touch.

The location is fantastic - literally just minutes walk to the centre of Shibuya!

Even though we were on a fairly low floor there was very little noise from outside and it was wonderful waking up and seeing all the snow outside. We had the complimentary breakfast in the restaurant attached to the lobby - we opted for the 'western set' which was delicious.

Next time we are back in Tokyo we will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank josh909
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shibuya
Shibuya Excel Hotel Tokyu
SHIBUYA HOTEL EN
SHIBUYA HOTEL EN
#9 of 28 in Shibuya
Dormy inn Premium Shibuya Jingumae

Been to Shibuya Granbell Hotel? Share your experiences!