“Very decent hotel... definitely worth staying...”

Shibuya Granbell Hotel
Ranked #7 of 30 Hotels / Ryokan in Shibuya
Reviewed February 28, 2014 via mobile

Stay in this hotel for 1 night.

Hotel is strategically located.. 5min walking distance from shibuya train station and other attractions.. surrounded by cafes and shops...

Hotel staff is awesome!! Very helpful and speak English.

Room were abit small but very cosy...

Breakfast was nice.. we opt for the japanese set breakfast

Definitely will return to stay again!!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 28, 2014 via mobile

This hotel was a little difficult to find at first if you arrive via jr shibuya. The main doors are to the hotel is hidden next to a tapas type bar. They dont look like doors, but more of a wooden partition. My tip is to go up the pedestrian overpass and walk down the side where the tennis building is. There are lifts also.

Room size is fair for this standard of hotel, however they must get a lot of people through as my room carpet was stained with cig. burns.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Having landed at Narita in the middle of a snow storm, we eventually managed to get to the Shibuya station via the Airport Express and subway. The hotel was easy to find and well within walking distance from the station and the check in process was quick and easy - the staff were lovely.

The room itself was great - we stayed in a Modern Double and there was plenty of room (by Tokyo standards). The decor and overall styling of the hotel and rooms was really cool and modern.

Everything was neat and tidy with enough room to stow our bags out of the way. We were only really in the room to sleep and shower and it lived up to all expectations - the bed was very comfortable and the shower was roomy (again by Tokyo standards). The quality complimentary toiletries were a nice touch.

The location is fantastic - literally just minutes walk to the centre of Shibuya!

Even though we were on a fairly low floor there was very little noise from outside and it was wonderful waking up and seeing all the snow outside. We had the complimentary breakfast in the restaurant attached to the lobby - we opted for the 'western set' which was delicious.

Next time we are back in Tokyo we will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank josh909
Reviewed February 21, 2014

This place had an amazing location. Shibuya is a great district, with nice restaurants and busy people. We went here for a business trip, and received great service from the personel in the lobby. We will choose this hotel again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 15, 2014

We have just stayed at Shibuya Granbell Hotel. The staff are so friendly and helpful, always so happy and ready to help in anyway. The rooms are very small (only reason this didn't get 5 star). We are travelling to the snow so we have two snowboard bags and a suitcase. Our snowboard bags have to go in the bathroom so we have enough space to walk around. But it's a laugh and we are managing. Some nice mod-cons like heated mirror so when bathroom is all steamy you can still see yourself. Nice little toiletries in the bathroom. Beds seem hard at first but they are actually really comfortable. The room was very hot but we found you can actually open the window (snowing outside so we only opened a crack and it was perfect!) The hotel serves a delicious Japanese traditional breakfast or western styles. Both are delicious and fresh. The pizza/wine bar downstairs is also good to relax and the girl was really friendly. All in all this is a great hotel. Yes the rooms are small but you are in the middle of the city and in a great location. The service is so good and the hotel has everything you need. I would come again- but with less baggage!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 14, 2014

i was hesitant to write a review because i'd like to keep the shibuya granbell hotel a secret. tokyo is known for being one of the most expensive and crowded cities in the world so naturally hotel rooms are more costly and smaller than average. while the rooms are small, the shibuya grandbell hotel more than makes up for the lack of space by offering a great value, chic interiors, free breakfast, nice staff, and an amazing location in the heart of shibuya.

the hotel's website has step by step instructions with photos on how to find the hotel, which was incredibly helpful. we took the n'ex from the airport, which when combined with their directions, arrival was a breeze, even after a 16 hour flight and crazy jetlag. tip: if for some reason you forget the directions, once you arrive in shibuya look up - the hotel is well-marked.

in my opinion, the hotel's location is without question the best and i could not imagine staying anywhere else. shibuya is a fantastic place to stay, but there are not as many options of lodging compared to other locations in the city. (i found shinjuku to be sleezy yet sterile, and other neighborhoods were not as convenient.) the granbell is in the heart of it all, yet without any of the craziness, noise or long walks that you'd have to deal with at most of the other hotels in shibuya. there are countless restaurants and bars within walking distance and it is hard to find a bad meal.

the bathrooms were great, the ubiquitous high-tech japanese toilet, lots of toiletries, and a combo bath-shower. overall, very functional use of space. breakfast, which was included in the room rate (and a huge benefit while in tokyo), was offered at two locations. we chose the upstairs restaurant (a la carte) each time, which offered three options, two western and one japanese. both food and coffee were of higher quality than expected and the service was quick. the staff were incredibly helpful and spoke enough english to make communication easy.

what's not to love about the shibuya granbell? some travelers will be shocked at the size of the rooms. for a couple who wanted to spend most of our time outside, the comfort double was not a problem at all. but i couldn't imagine bringing a family and staying in those rooms... it would be close to impossible.

can't wait to plan a return trip!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 4, 2014

I stayed at the Shibuya Granbell Hotel as an independent traveler in November 2013 for 7 nights. Due to changes in my schedule, I ended up with an Annex Single Smoking room on the 4th level.

As I also stayed in Sakuragaokacho during my previous holiday in Tokyo, finding the hotel was a breeze. The check-in process was seamless and I must compliment the cleaners for making a smoking room feel like an non-smoking one. The front desk staff was professional enough to bring me to the room for my approval before confirming my check-in. Kudos!

I am afraid the positive experience ended on the first day.

My subsequent nights were a nightmare. The room I stayed in was, unfortunately, situated right above a bar and a rather busy small street. I was appalled that the bar without any consideration that there exists an hotel so closely opposite, blasted rock music at 11pm every night! As though that wasn't enough for the tired traveler - who deserved nothing less than a sound sleep - to deal with, it was even more shocking to hear noisy and drunkard salarymen yelling on top of their lungs after 'happy hour' at the wee hours, also without any consideration for sleeping guests.

My deepest disappointment was with the front desk male staff who manned the hotel at night. It during the third night, when I was running a temperature, that I sought the staff to do something about the noise pollution but the literal 'shrug shoulders' response I got was the least I expected of Japanese hospitality.

As a result of the disturbance, my sleep quality at Shibuya Granbell was very poor and that affected my holiday significantly. Furthermore, the free Wifi was lagging and one needs to be mindful of intermittent service. Breakfast came in the standard Japanese, American and French options daily with nothing outstanding to comment on.

Indeed one will be living in Shibuya - merely 5 minutes to the JR Shibuya Station no less - but with the experience I had, I would rather be staying in a less exclusive area with the luxury of a good's night sleep and helpful staff to make a good holiday.

Room Tip: If you have a choice, do not book an Annex room but if you don't, request for a room on the high...