“Only hotel In Shibuya worth staying for under ¥20,000”

Shibuya Granbell Hotel
Ranked #8 of 27 Hotels / Ryokan in Shibuya
United States
“Only hotel In Shibuya worth staying for under ¥20,000”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

I cannot say enough about the Granbell hotel in Shibuya.

For those thinking of staying at this establishment I will list out both pros and cons

Pros:

2 minute walk from Shibuya train station (west exit)
Hotel Staff willing to go the extra mile to serve you with the upmost respect.
Rooms are immaculate. (It was noted cleaning staff even lifted the shower drain to clean)
Quiet location, yet located 5 minute walk from Shibuya Crossing.
The most comfortable bed I have ever experienced in hotel.

Cons:

Wifi signal fluctuates. Very difficult to surf Internet with this glitch.

Highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Matt802

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Only 5 mins- walk away from the Shibuya JR stations & all the popular shopping area! My family ( 2 children and my husband) stayed at the Premiere Twin Room for 4 nights and it was such a great stay! The rooms are very neat, clean and someway modern. Its not as fancy as 4 seasons but it surely worth the prices! We got a chance to try the SakuLa restaurant at the hotel last night at our stay because our kids were just tired from the long trip, the restaurant is surprisingly nice with a reasonable price! Recommend!

Room Tip: Offer Free Wifi from this Hotel ! The Premiere Twin Room are enough for a family with 2 children.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed June 4, 2013

I stayed for 2 nights in the Comfort room. I arrived about 1.30pm and were unable to check in until 2pm. The staff suggested that I leave my luggage with them and have lunch at Shibuya.
The hotel is at a good location with 5 mins walk to Shibuya crossing and JR / Metro. The room size is comfortable and toilet was clean and spacious.

As it is near a metro line, I could hear the train when it enters or bypass the station. However it is not that loud that it disturbs me.

They have a point system which gives a 50% discount after staying 10 nights with them. Sounds good. Will definitely consider to stay here with a lower budget compared to Cerulean Towers.

Room Tip: Ask for High Floor and facing Shibuya Crossing
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
boden
Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for altogether 9 days on our roundtrip in Japan . Tokyo was our favoriter and we ended up booking more night here than we had initially. It is so convenient! Close to everything but still a quieter neighbourhood , even though its literally 2 mins from the shibuya station and the great crossing. The hotel itself is very neat and modern . It's true that its a bit scuffed , but I think that's because the rooms are small and you bonk into corners with your bag:) breakfast is satisfying and it's included which is rare in Japan . We loved this place. Check out the little bars and restaurant in the hotel area . They're great . And venture up a bit towards Daikanyama which is more low key but lovely .

• Stayed May 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Though my friend and I only stayed for 3 nights at the hotel we had amazing service from the Shibuya Granbell team. The hotel's description of how to locate the hotel from JR Shibuya Station was great!! We chose the single rooms each and was very satisfied. Our rooms were so immaculately clean, spacious for what we were expecting and amazingly comfortable beds. The bathroom was great with the hand held shower heads as well as the rain shower available, our favourite Toto toilets were available, And daily room maintenance was available too. I stayed in room 701 where as you walk in the bed is to your right, the desk to your left and straight ahead where the window is is your bathroom. Therefore I found that my room was very quiet. However, my friend had room 702 where as you walk in the bathroom was to your left then desk to left and bed at end where window was. She found her room to be a bit more noisy but when you're on holiday, staying in Shibuya for 3 nights a little noise doesn't bother you. The reception team were great!! Helped us out on several occasions of how to get to places, was very helpful with our 3am taxi to Tsukiji market, and overall very pleasant from check-in to check-out. Would definitely stay there again!! Thank you Shibuya Granbell team, we loved our stay with you!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Paris, France
Reviewed May 16, 2013

We spent 3 nights while visiting Tokyo. The hotel is perfectly located, 5 minutes walking from Shibuya main shopping area, undreground station and the famous crossing. It is situated in a quiet area with plenty of small restaurants / bars around. The bedroom is quite good in size, comfortable bed, the bathroom is well equipped and very clean, there is a safe and air conditioning, and quite enough room to put your stuff. Breakfast is ok on the ground floor, although I would advise you to go on the 2nd floor restaurant where you have more choice and a better service. They offered us a welcoming drink at their bar because we booked directly on their website, nice attention! The staff is helpful and speak good English. Wi-fi is available everywhere, there is also a computer and a printer at the reception, useful to print out boarding passes. I will definetely come back for a next stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong
Reviewed May 13, 2013

This is a Japanese "business hotel" so I didn't have high expectations for my stay at Granbell. I checked in really late at night, close to midnight and the process was a breeze. I actually arrived in Tokyo a few days before checking-in, and I left my huge suitcase with them. When I was checking-in, the front desk mentioned that the suitcase was already in my room. It was such a thoughtful gesture.

I will admit that the room can do with a bit more work - it looks a little tired and worn down. There was also a funny smell from the toilet but I couldn't work it out what it was. That said, the toilet was very clean and well-maintained. Not much space to put your own toiletries though. Water pressure is great. There was the standard Japanese toilet which keeps the seat warm (don't be alarmed when you sit on it!).

The room is tiny but again I was expecting that, so it wasn't a deal-breaker for me. There is a small desk just enough to put your mobile phone and wallet.
The bed is comfortable. Room was quiet and the A/C worked well. There is also a dehumidifier but I did not turn it on.

I had the Japanese breakfast which was yummy. Grilled mackeral, rice, miso soup, natto. Breakfast of champions (and heart-friendly too).

Location - this is where Granbell really shines. It's less than a 2-minute walk to the 24-hours supermart where you can buy snacks and onigiri (rice balls). 5-minute walk to Shibuya station. It is initially a little overwhelming with the overhead pedestrain crossings but you will figure it out very quickly. Plenty of sign posts to mark the way. The front desk is also very helpful; they can provide a map and directions. The hotel is also about a 5 minute walk to Ramen Nagi, a great place for a quick bowl of hot ramen. Plenty of other ramen shops around too.

I stayed in a single room. If I'm back in Tokyo for a short stay I will stay here again. Can't beat the price and the location!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shibuya
Shibuya Excel Hotel Tokyu
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,208 reviews
Cerulean Tower Tokyu Hotel
Hotel Century Southern Tower
Dormy inn Premium Shibuya Jingumae

Been to Shibuya Granbell Hotel? Share your experiences!